ReefCleaners.org

My new 120G

shaggydoo541

shaggydoo541

Well I finally got enough space to move the very crowded contents of my 18G into a 120g. Here are some pics. Enjoy

929391378_5a31b1de9b_b.jpg

928516495_d4d3124e6e_b.jpg

928515713_821816f4a8_b.jpg

There is more where that came from too so I'll update some more later on.

EDIT - The pics I loaded were taken off a free site I was trying. Now I'm using flickr so I tried to post a couple of the old ones here so its not just lame red x's.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaggydoo541

lol... yeah they were a bit cramped... Ok so mostly just the corals are from my old tank. The fish are all new additions except for the lone clown. All the corals (except a few of the smaller sps starts) came from my 18G so when its all spread out in the 120 I can't believe I actually crammed it all in the old tank.

shaggydoo541

Ok how about some more? Why not. I'm still practicing with my wifes new camera so bear with me for a bit. I've also got to try some new pics with her new 105 mm nikor lens. So that will be coming shortly (hopefully).

EDIT - I removed all the broken links to pics. Much more pics on page 2.

shaggydoo541

I've got 8 tek 4' t5s. Much stronger than anything I have ever seen in person (except maybe a couple 1000w MH over some commercial tanks).

shaggydoo541

Thanks. I've just got done trying out the wifes new d200 with 105mm lens. I've got a lot of practice ahead to perfect this thing but I think I did fairly well for one of my first times using the setup.

shaggydoo541

Well I have lousy sps polyp extension during the day. Awesome extension at night. And this pattern happened right after I put him in there. So I have a pretty good idea he is nipping though for all the hours I watch my tank I have never seen him nip more than a couple times. He will also occasionally eat a red paly but leaves all my other softies alone. I have several types of zoas that are fine and he has even left my blastos unmolested. I keep him fairly well fed though. He did cause a lot of harm to my open brain right off the bat and I had to trade that away.

shaggydoo541

The teks are absolutely amazing. I can't praise t5 enough. The variability you can get in color is great for any taste and the low heat is also a big factor. Plus the intensity is incredible. I was skeptical and just wanted to try it out placing most of my sps up top at first. I had to move many lower and almost lost a couple zoa colonies as well due to bad bleaching. But as the bulbs burned in and everything adjusted the look is much nicer ime. But it is definitely a different look than mh. So I would recommend going to see both a t5 and mh tank to compare and see which you like best. Honestly mh looks a lot duller to my eyes than a full rack of t5's. My mom has 2 250w 14k phoenix hqi pendants on her 90 g and I always think one of them has burnt out every time I visit her and see the huge difference in lighting.

I bid on this 2 x 150 MH system on ebay, if the price doesn't break 200 then I'll go with that otherwise the Tek system is mine. I just couldn't beat the price on that fixture especially after I throw some 14K Phoenix bulbs on it. If I go with the Tek system, what bulb combination did you use?

apparently t5's overdriven with an icecap ballast are t5vhos and supposed to be a lOT better then normal t5ho's which i didnt think was possible

don't remember where i read this from but apparantly the 4' 54W ho's run at ~80W with an icecap ballast

im sure its going to wear down the bulb quicker but its supposedly a LOT better

shaggydoo541

You definitely need to cool the bulbs to extend the life. A simple fan is all that is needed.

For my bulb combo I went with 2 6.5k ge, 2 TRU 10k, 2 ati true blues, and 2 TRU actinics. When I switch bulbs I am going to try to get rid of the 10k and add 2 superactinics. I am seeing so much growth right now that adding some more blue will just make the colors that much more vibrant. But since I don't need to change bulbs for 18-24 months (estimate of many but will watch to see if can really hold out that long) it will be a long time before I do any bulb changes.

shaggydoo541
blue yellow purple powderblue tangs! :happy:

emperor angel :D

So you approve of my fish selection eh? I planned this fish selection from the very first minute I realized I would be starting a bigger tank. Of course I threw in the powder blue and imperator becuase they will easily outgrow my current tank and make a much bigger tank a 'necessity'. Wish me luck in selling that one to my wife ;)

apparently t5's overdriven with an icecap ballast are t5vhos and supposed to be a lOT better then normal t5ho's which i didnt think was possible

don't remember where i read this from but apparantly the 4' 54W ho's run at ~80W with an icecap ballast

im sure its going to wear down the bulb quicker but its supposedly a LOT better

I had this exact setup over my prop tank and hated it....LOL

Go halides!

Very Nice Shaggy.

Im gonna be off a week...so Ill get some pics up of my 75 I setup with the T5 V HO.

I decided on one tang... Purple...and so far he is awesome. He was in a Locals tank that got

broken down...so he was healthy etc. 5 inch fisheee for 69 bucks...not bad.

Im curious to see how your powder blue does...Ive been told they are kinda tuff if you have any

parameters swinging at all...this causes a little stress and they become Ick magnets...lol

Keep us updated.

Izzue

shaggydoo541

Yeah I've been told the powders are hard to keep. But supposedly so are the tiny blue hippo tangs as well. I've also been told I'm nuts to try and keep all these fish with a lot of SPS and no skimmer. Yet all is well so far. I've had all my fish (except the mandarin... he's new) for 3 months (or more) and there has not been a spot of ich on any of them, but I am keeping my fingers crossed and also keep them all very well fed. My tangs are all porkers and I have found the more I feed the happier and less agressive they seem to be.

I will definitely keep posting my results here but so far I am very happy with my new tank. I put a lot of planning into it and from the experience I got with my nano have kept all my livestock healthy. Only thing my nano couldn't really help me with was the size and setup, the setup on a larger tank is a bit more intense especially if you want to do it right.

proraptor2

Tangs get ich mostly from stress not because you dont have a skimmer. If you keep multiple tangs together there is a less chance they will get ich also...Keep them fed and keep them swimming and they will never get ich their entire lives.

BTW: No skimmer? SPS? WTF!

shaggydoo541
BTW: No skimmer? SPS? WTF!

It worked in my nano so I figured I would try it on my larger tank. It was just a trial at first and I left room in my sump for a skimmer but everything is going so well I highly doubt I'll ever add a skimmer.

As for my tangs getting no ich, I mostly attribute that to keeping them well fed. They get along better when they are fat and they also look a lot healthier with big bulging stomachs. I've seen lots of tangs in other peoples tanks that look emaciated and then I see a post a month or two later about how they are fighting ich and then the tang dies. I do not want that to happen cause fish are expensive.

Archived