Pod Your Reef

Diggman's BC29 journal (currently out of commision)

diggman08

i love maroons they are really nice.. not a very hardy fish though.. so be warned, especially with a young tank...

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome John and nice pics of the clown.

By the way, that's a Q in my log name: QA6394. Not that it matters. :D

Koralia looks great in the tank man....just wish I could have got it from him :) I think I am going to buy one from Drs. F&S in the next week or so since I from what I've heard, they are freaking sweet. I do have two Seio's that put out similiar flow but they looked big in my 55 so I know they will be HUGE in the 29.

How are the zoas doing? Like suggested above, I would just give them a chance to settle in a bit or maybe just move them out of the flow and slowly acclimate them.

haha.. you can get them on ebay for $40 shipped though.. around the same.. yeah, if they dont open by today im going to move them around.. i love the koralia though, u dont even know its running..silent..

I know...just messing with ya. I actually just asked my LFS if they could order some in and they actually said they would have some for me on Thursday :) I am getting to know the owner so I can use my store credit to get one for $16. Can't wait to get it in there.

Hey Diggman, how did your koralia attach to the side? Does it have suction cups? Neway, it looks good. Does not stand out... which is good.

Hey Diggman, how did your koralia attach to the side? Does it have suction cups? Neway, it looks good. Does not stand out... which is good.

Koralia's have a cool suction cup/magnet combonation, I wish more powerheads and pumps would go that direction. The coolest though is the Vortech Propeller Pumps! Thos things are sick! They handle anything from 20 to 500 gallon aquariums and the powerpack is never dropped in the water so they have little to no effect on water temp. However, you pay out the nose for one at about $345 - $360 depending on where you like to shop.

thanks guys.. yeah it just has a magnet that i stuck in chamber 1, it fit perfect..

Well i went to the LFS today and picked up a few item. heres some pics

Ro water (8gal) , Chemi-pure Elite, calcium test kit, Seachem buffer Ph 8.3, peppermint shrimp(got a few apitasia), emerald crab(for the bubbles),, o me and the owner are tight now..haha. so he hooked me up with a free sample of some really good iodine...

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

my PH was 7.8 so i got the buffer to raise it,, and i tested today before adding the seachem,, and it was reading 8.3.. i dunno whats going on with that.

o and my calcium level was 460-470 ppm.. is this good,bad???

thanks guys.. yeah it just has a magnet that i stuck in chamber 1, it fit perfect..

Well i went to the LFS today and picked up a few item. heres some pics

Ro water (8gal) , Chemi-pure Elite, calcium test kit, Seachem buffer Ph 8.3, peppermint shrimp(got a few apitasia), emerald crab(for the bubbles),, o me and the owner are tight now..haha. so he hooked me up with a free sample of some really good iodine...

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

my PH was 7.8 so i got the buffer to raise it,, and i tested today before adding the seachem,, and it was reading 8.3.. i dunno whats going on with that.

o and my calcium level was 460-470 ppm.. is this good,bad???

When you test the PH always try and do it at the same time of day. Your PH will always be at it's highest just before the lights go off just like it will be at it's lowest when the lights first come on. 7.8 on the low is not bad with 8.4 or there abouts on the high side. It will vary throughout the day. I usually test in the afternoon once the lights have been on for awhile.

Calcium levels are best 400-450 but yours are ok just would not want to increase it.

thanks boz..all im dosing is Kent Nano-Reef 2 part, im guessing it has calcium, stront., mag, all that stuff in it.... i only use it like twice a week..

im sure my PH will stablize as my tank matures.

im using a ph test , that comes in one of those master reef test kits..

i think when i tested the first time it was right after a water change. and when i tested yesterday.. was 1 week after a water change..

could this be why?? im doing a WC today so ill test before and after, and see what happens.. ill post test results up here..

Just when everything was doing good :(

Nothing to worry about bud....don't start worrying just yet. It could always be the test kit or something like that. One indicator could be the corals in the tank...how are they looking right now?

I would do a water change like you said and see how things are tomorrow. Don't test the water right after you change the water so just try it tomorrow.

I checked my pH the other day it it was around 8.4 so I guess I dosed a bit too much buffer...either that or my test kits need replacing.

Keep us updated on the params and don't worry...things will stabilize.

good calcium.

When you test for PH do you test at the end of the day right before you turn off your lights?

Thats the best time to test. My PH is low in the morning and gets to be around 8.0-8.3 in the evening.

Buffering is not good. If the tank is doing well then don't buffer. Even it is on the lower side it is best to have it constant instead of buffering it and shocking your tank friends.

i usually test around mid day.. ill try doing it towards the evening from now on.. today im gonna do my 3gal water change and put the bag of Chemi-pure in chamber 3... i guess ill just put it were that blue filter deal is??? and i will do the Ph test tomorow..thanks dive and taco..

the corals are doing a little better but not fully opening still.. their tips are curled in like their shrivled..

would the chemi-pure bag be ok if its just sitting in chamber 3 over the pump... is it normal for the tank to be cloudy from it??

Obi Juan kenobi

Did you wash the chemi-pure 1st? If you didnt you'll be fine it will clear up dont trip!!! I actually run my chemi-pure in the 3rd chamber with no problems at all!! Oh by the way sweet tank and zoos dude.

^^ I agree...nothing too worry about. My 55g clouded up a bit once I added chemi-pure to it. It will clear up quickly.

I was just looking through your pics again and that shrimp has some awesome coloration on it....

thanks Ness & Dive,,,,yeah im not worried i figured it would clear up.. the only thinng that worries me is that it is sitting on top of my pump were the water sucks through.. i dont want to put the pump in a bond...i love my new peppermint and he was only $4.99,, i wish he would start munchin on that apitaisia...my emerald crab has already cleared out half of the bubble agae!!! worth every penny.

i tell you what. that chemi-pure elite is awsome.!. i can already tell a difference.., my water is crystal clear.... and my corals are looking better.

Archived