ReefCleaners.org

Diggman's BC29 journal (currently out of commision)

diggman08

Hey Diggman....looks like the zoas you got in this time made it perfectly. I might have to check out Zoanuts myself :)

Those Aussie Malachites are amazing....great coloration. I hope they grow great for you. The Gorilla nips aren't too bad either.

Any FT shots with the new corals in there?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thankss ,they really are something,,,,not yet,, because i have a few more goodies comin next week.. man i cant decide on a good spot for them in the tank.. i think im just gonna cover all the sand with zoas,what the heck.

heres some shots just messin around.

i hope this shroom spreads to the rock

DSC00481.jpg

micro shot

DSC00479.jpg

what is that green algae looking stuff on the left.. i pull it out everyday and it grows right back.

well i finally got a test kit today.. and here are the results of the first test.. everything looks perfect to me.?

PH 8.0-8.2, is this ok? (i cant tell)

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

specific gravity 1.023

DSC00497.jpg

thankss ,they really are something,,,,not yet,, because i have a few more goodies comin next week.. man i cant decide on a good spot for them in the tank.. i think im just gonna cover all the sand with zoas,what the heck.

heres some shots just messin around.

i hope this shroom spreads to the rock

DSC00481.jpg

micro shot

DSC00479.jpg

what is that green algae looking stuff on the left.. i pull it out everyday and it grows right back.

Here's a question. My 29 is almost 2 months old. Didnt realize till now that you leave the actinic on throughout the day with the 10k. Ive got purple and green algae and also a fair bit of brown algae which the turbo snails are taking care of (have 2) I have some white coral growing and something that looks like sponges although their hard to the touch. I have 30 lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of live Lalo Rock from Fostersmith. Im running a CPR protein skimmer in #2 and sticking with stock pump in #3 Really only put some filter floss in #1 to help catch smaller particles but still having a lot of floating debris in the water. Tried to add a MJ 1200 inside the tank with hydro flo but it raised the temp up 2 degrees to 82. Im still 0 amonio, .25 nitrite and right now, 40 nitrate. I changed 6 gals of water and it didnt change anything?! Calcium is 380 and DKH is 9 . I use Instant Ocean salt. I have a hard time with PH (using tap water with declorinator) but my water seems to be a constant 7.8 until i add chemicals to raise the PH. (Kent marine to raise PH, unfortunately it also raises the hardness) Just got C-Balance parts A and B and trying them to control the water. LFS turned me on to a white chemical puck that you put in your water to disolve over time replacing trace elements etc. Sea lab makes it i think. I went the other direction then you guys..i added fish first. 2 tank raised false percs...1 diamond back goby , 3 firefish and 1- 6 line rasse. Getting plenty of greenish brown crap from skimmer. I want to try the 4.36 lighting upgrade with the R2 moon lights, fans etc. You guys have great corals...thats my next goal is to take it to the next level. Question is , what is best for beginners like myself in the way of corals..and what the heck can i do to get a lot of the small particles in the water out of the water.

first off, alls i use in my tank is RO pure water.. maybe that will help your param. problems.. good beginner corals would prob be shrooms, zoas,rics, palys,, if you go to foster and smith it will tell you the difficulty level of each coral and etc.. as for particles in the water.. if you push you factory filter down a bit so that the water runs through the oval hole at top, it will help some.. maybe put some filter floss in chamber 2 also.

it just occured to me.. you have that many fish in your tank?? and its not even 2 months old yet?? hmmmm. risky

thanks Brian..i have 10lbs of live sand. its just personal preference reallly. i dont like alot of sand.. the plastic return Y is Loc-line. you can pick it up at your lfs. its not real cheap either.. or you could picksome up online probably.. JUST make sure you get 1/2" though...and you will have to do a little sanding on it to make it fit..

I went to my LFS yesterday (I have only been there four times and the have been great every time, the are called About the Reef for anyone in the Phoenix area). Anyhow, I got with one of the store guys who put together a sweet y-connection that will help my flow in the lower portion of the tank and a larger duckbill for the top. I am still working on my 70w HQI upgrade, so I don't have it up and reunning yet, but I will get pics when its there (I got sidetracked reading the new Harry Potter book). I pulled out about 10 pounds of the 25 pounds of sand in the tanks for more LR and water space. I also picked up a 360 degree adaptor for my rio 600 so that I can run an alternating current for a few hours a day, best thre ebucks I have spent lately. Thanks for the sand info, I guess I just always have been stuck on freshwater rules, I need ot get passed that.

ahh..my diatoms still wont go away., but even worse now im getting this green hair algae stuff in the sand with the diatoms. i dont know what else to do...i use RO water, weekly water changes, params. perfect, good flow. anyone??

ahh..my diatoms still wont go away., but even worse now im getting this green hair algae stuff in the sand with the diatoms. i dont know what else to do...i use RO water, weekly water changes, params. perfect, good flow. anyone??

I had diatom, and the green algae very bad. It went away on its own, so I guess you should just wait it out unless it gets worse, but as you know.... Im no expert.

yeah im just gonna wait it out.. im a bit of a perfectionist so it really bugs me. owell.. awsome roushinator get some pics up with your new lightss.

noobwithatank

diggman, i ended up getting afar bit of that also. no idea why as everything buyt he sand came from my other tank. what i did was grab some more snails and reduce my lighting time from 8 to 4 hours. everything coral wise still looks awesome and the diatoms is almost gone after a week!

roushinator
yeah im just gonna wait it out.. im a bit of a perfectionist so it really bugs me. owell.. awsome roushinator get some pics up with your new lightss.

For the upgrade lights i got the actnic anc the 50/50. What do you think it would be like if i took the 50/50 out and replaced it with a 10k. Do you think it will encourage growth more?

On my 4.36 upgrad I got another 10k and an actinic. I think it looks great, not so blue in the daytime and real nice and florescent at sundown and sunup. I also think that the few SPS i have are doing better because of it.

its all personal preference now Roushinator.. its all in what look your goig for. either setup would look good.

roushinator
its all personal preference now Roushinator.. its all in what look your goig for. either setup would look good.

I switched the 50/50 to the 10k now. I am going to see how i like it.

roushinator
What made you switch it out. I thought at first you were happy with the 50/50.

Ha. Your post above made me switch it. :D

On my 4.36 upgrad I got another 10k and an actinic. I think it looks great, not so blue in the daytime and real nice and florescent at sundown and sunup. I also think that the few SPS i have are doing better because of it.

If i dont like it i will go back to the 50/50. Only takes a few minutes to switch out.

Yup easy switch. I have been thinking about buying a 50/50 to see the difference, but I believe the corals will still be better off with the 10k.

roushinator
Yup easy switch. I have been thinking about buying a 50/50 to see the difference, but I believe the corals will still be better off with the 10k.

I want growth so hopefully the 10k will help. I am glad i switched because i found that one of my actnics was bad (it was new). :angry: So i put a new one in and it works good now.

i agree i think the 10k will promote faster coral growth. but the advantage of the 50/50 it gives a little of both.. the blue spectrum of the 50/50, gives the corals a nice shimmer. and the white provides for photosynthesis

roushinator
i agree i think the 10k will promote faster coral growth. but the advantage of the 50/50 it gives a little of both.. the blue spectrum of the 50/50, gives the corals a nice shimmer. and the white provides for photosynthesis

My intial observations is that everything seems to have opened up more. Color looks great. I will post in a few weeks about growth.

noobwithatank

was wonderng how much evap ur getting.. im currently on the fence about the lighting atm. either the nanotuners or a sunpod 150. id like the sunpod, but its a decent chunk of cash more compaired to the 4x36 upgrade, but id have to fact in the cost of 4 replacement bulbs also.

to be honest. i havent noticeed any in my tank. i dont do topoffs. if it is evaportating its a very small amount.. and by the time it does im changing my water.. my a/c is contantly runnng though. it stays about 72 degrees in house. 78 tank

Archived