What to do with smaller AquaClear HOB

likwid

Hey guys, I bought a 10g starter kit from my lfs, and it came with an AquaClear hang on back filter, not sure what size, I threw the box out.. Anyways, I am currently running a Rio Nano Skimmer on my 10g tank, and was wondering if I can throw the AC filter on for more filtration, and if there is anything I can put inside of it to help fight algae? I realize, its not as big as the AC500, to do a full refugium mod, but is there anything I can do with it to help my tank out?

Hey guys, I bought a 10g starter kit from my lfs, and it came with an AquaClear hang on back filter, not sure what size, I threw the box out.. Anyways, I am currently running a Rio Nano Skimmer on my 10g tank, and was wondering if I can throw the AC filter on for more filtration, and if there is anything I can put inside of it to help fight algae? I realize, its not as big as the AC500, to do a full refugium mod, but is there anything I can do with it to help my tank out?

depending on what kind of algae it is more flow may help reduce some of it. I would start looking for other reasons algae is in the tank though, such as lights on for too long, excess nutrients in the system somehow (overfeeding, more water changes needed). You can definitely throw that on the tank for more flow and throw carbon in or phosguard or something like that although it is argued whether it really works or whether you should use it or not. Frankly with a tank that small adding carbon can help catch a little nasty stuff if you dont' catch something right away and really save your tail. If not, it works as a water polisher and makes the tank extra clear. Just my opinion, not saying you overfeed, but trying to give you an idea of what to look for. 9 times out of 10 mechanical elements of your tank won't solve the problem. Although if you only have a nano skimmer circulating the tank you could probably use more circulation.

hope that helps and feel free to ask any questions you have. I may be able to help a little more if you described what type of algae you have.

Brandon

The algae in question is light green algae that grows on the glass, as well as lgiht hair algae on the live sand surface. I have my Nano Skimmer running for flow as well as a Rio Powersweep wavemaker powerhead. So there is plenty of flow already in the tank. I only have a clean up crew and corals, so I feed once or twice a week only. And do a big water change every week or so. Is there anything I can put in the filter like a macro or live rock rubble to help?

If its big enough make a fuge out of it!

If not more LR rubble won't hurt anything, just make it that much better :)

yea i have an ac20 fuge mod on my 2.5g and its great. just look for any cheapo light to clip on and throw some cheato and rubble in, def one of the best mods i did for my pico

wait, how old is your tank? it could just be that your going through growing pains... i had a HA and it went away after about a month and a half... but if you have the AC laying around you should just throw some chaeto in there... you can do the same mod to it just dont put sand or LRR in there, just stick with macro algae... i think you will see a big improvement just remember to take it out and shake it every week in the tank and dont forget to trim it... oh yeah like peski28 said dont for get a light

wait, how old is your tank? it could just be that your going through growing pains... i had a HA and it went away after about a month and a half... but if you have the AC laying around you should just throw some chaeto in there... you can do the same mod to it just dont put sand or LRR in there, just stick with macro algae... i think you will see a big improvement just remember to take it out and shake it every week in the tank and dont forget to trim it... oh yeah like peski28 said dont for get a light

Would putting Live Rock rubble and sand in my AC help my tank out in any way? I dont have access to any chaeto or macro here locally. Remember, its just a smaller AquaClear HOB, not a big 110

Archived