blue/yellow tangs

ltzryder21

I am TRYING to remove my blue tang and yellow tang from my tank because they are getting too big, plus my blue tang has been nipping at my clown fish for some time now. Plus I know everyone on this forum HATES tangs in smaller tanks. Well, I can't get them out because they won't come out from behind the rocks. How in the hell do I get them out??? HELP PLEASE!!!

hahaha, u jus gota step ur net game up. lure them out with the food n be on ur toes

Easier said then done!!! It's ####### me off!

zerocool5878

starve em for a few days then be quick wit the net.

if your still having problems you can buy a fish trap. But i wouldn't waste the money...... YOU CAN DOOO IT!

starve em for a few days then be quick wit the net.

if your still having problems you can buy a fish trap. But i wouldn't waste the money...... YOU CAN DOOO IT!

I have the net just sitting in there. I'm going to leave it there for a few days and put the food inside when I feed them. They'll get used to it and I'll scoop them up.

you might have to just remove the live rocks if you can't get them out with the food. I don't think there is another way.

you might have to just remove the live rocks if you can't get them out with the food. I don't think there is another way.

a lot of my corals are on my rocks and I don't want to move them around. I spent a lot of time getting them how I like them.

I got the yellow tang out! The LFS only gave me $12. Oh well. I only payed $20 @petco. I can't get the blue tang to come near the net. He seems to be smarter then the yellow tang. The LFS said to feed it out of the net for a week so it can get trained and then when it is used to it scoop it up. We'll see then. Anyone else have any special tricks?

The blue tang will not eat out of the net. It won't even come near it. I have no idea how I can get him out. I know there's people on this forum that have had the same problem. Ideas PLEASE!!!

take your rocks out and use a pice of flat acrylic or something to push him up to one side. Its a great time to reaquascape.

Catch him asleep...

:ninja:

Or just brake the tank down...heck Ive done that before and liked the new aquascape...lol

Izzue

Yep sounds like a break the tank down moment to me. I like the acrylic or some other plastic wall to move it to one side after the rocks are out. We should remember this thread for when a newbie asks about putting a tang in his nano but not to worry cause he will take it out when it gets too big. Maybe this should be stickied so the tang police can find it easier...... omgomgomgfingerscrossed:slap:

Turn all the lights out for the night. Wait some hours. Get a flashlight. With the lights off, get your net ready. Stun him with a beam of light so you can see him. Usually they're all dazed from sleeping so getting him in the net is easier. That's how I got a damsel out of my tank that I couldn't catch for a couple weeks. Hope this helps.

Turn all the lights out for the night. Wait some hours. Get a flashlight. With the lights off, get your net ready. Stun him with a beam of light so you can see him. Usually they're all dazed from sleeping so getting him in the net is easier. That's how I got a damsel out of my tank that I couldn't catch for a couple weeks. Hope this helps.

He sleeps laying down in a crevice between rocks. If he is out, and I stun him or scare him, he just swims behind the rocks and hides. I'll try it though. Maybe it will work! Thanks! Aren't there fish traps?

Catch him asleep...

:ninja:

Or just brake the tank down...heck Ive done that before and liked the new aquascape...lol

Izzue

I really have everything where I like it right now and am afraid I can't get it back the same if I break it down. Also, what about corals that are attached to my rock? Won't they die if I take them out???

Most corals can withstand some time out of water without any harm (I dont like to go over 10 minutes

due to the amount of slime certain corals produce for protection.

Just get several 5 gal buckets or a rubbermaid container. Syphon some water out of the tank...enough to keep corals under water...remove each rock and try to remember how you had them.

Remove enough to be able to get the fisheee...replace your rock and pump the old water back into tank.

I usually follow that with a water change just to help clear the water some...normal 25% change.

Izzue

ficklefins

This may sound dumb at first but I've done it on a few occasions.

1). Chase the fish around the tank with your hand and watch his escape routes as he maneuvers.

2). Take a clear bag and leave the open end facing one of the escape routes.

3). Use your hand and a net to chase the fish around the tank until he enters into the clear bag. You can use as a big a bag as you need.

Works pretty well, and you don't have to worry about the fish jumping out of the net and back into the water.

This may sound dumb at first but I've done it on a few occasions.

1). Chase the fish around the tank with your hand and watch his escape routes as he maneuvers.

2). Take a clear bag and leave the open end facing one of the escape routes.

3). Use your hand and a net to chase the fish around the tank until he enters into the clear bag. You can use as a big a bag as you need.

Works pretty well, and you don't have to worry about the fish jumping out of the net and back into the water.

I like this idea. Never heard of it before. Might have to give it a shot when I try to catch my pink skunk pair.

ltzryder21

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Most people just talk ###### and try to make me feel stupid! I'll see what works!

Archived