Cultivated Reef

!?!?!?!

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

I've been designing a custom cube tank, the renderings can be followed here

Anyways, I want to change the design a little bit and use an external durso instead of an internal one...the return from the sump will be a mag 9.5

now the question is, how large and how many dursos should I have that will help keep up w/ the return from the sump so it doesnt run dry? Any help is appreciated, thanks

i dont know much about this kind of stuff but technically unless you underfilled the tank before beginning, the pump wouldn't just "run dry" your main tank would overflow, or no?

how many gallons is the tank? Is the mag your only source of flow? I would look at the oceanrunner pumps they use way less watts and produce alot less heat. A 1 inch bulkhead will drain 600 gph You will need a 1.5 in.

avalanche1201

no it wouldnt be my only source of flow...ill also have a mag 9.5 closed loop system...around 20 gals.

so im looken at 1.5" or two 1" externals...thanks shag

ill whip up the renderings tonight i hope

I would plumb 2x 1"

Redundant plumbing is always a reallllly good idea. Overtime stuff will get stuck and clog the pvc.

and use a lower gph for your sump return. Any reason WHY you want such water flow through the sump if you're going to have a closed loop?

Plus if you have 2 huge overflows you'll cut down a lot on noise.

and please do yourself a favor and use an external pump for the closed loop like a panworld/iwaki/sequence.

avalanche1201

it is going to be an external pump..it will be an external mag 9.5

the sump might not be a 9.5, depends on the stand I use...still not sure if im going to build a stand or find something

When I say external I mean REAL external. Not internal pump with the ends capped for pipes.

IF you insist on using a mag, watch out for head pressure on it. It will cause it to leak.

Archived