Top Shelf Aquatics

WHAT FILTRATION SYSTEM?

chrisdamage

chrisdamage

I am starting another new tank soon and here are the specs:

10Gal tank

Aqua C Nano Remora Protein Skimmer

Rio600 Powerhead w/Hydor Flo Nozzle(200GPH)

PC Flourescent Lighting

This one is going to be pretty cool so be on the lookout when I put up pictures...

Stocking List:

5lbs. of LR

4 inch sandbed

various snails and a few crabs

Yellowheaded jawfish

Blood Shrimp

maybe 1 more fish(doubtful though considering the tank size and other limitations)

2 Questions:

1. What type of filtration system will work best with this tank? HOB, Canister, etc?

2. What are the downsides/upsides to a deeper than normal sandbed?

1. If you are not going to drill it w/ a sump then I would use a hang on tank filter with chaeto and lr rubble in it.

2. Sandbed hold nutrients vital for the tank but it will raise the height of the liverock. IT is not necessarily a bad thing.

chrisdamage
1. If you are not going to drill it w/ a sump then I would use a hang on tank filter with chaeto and lr rubble in it.

2. Sandbed hold nutrients vital for the tank but it will raise the height of the liverock. IT is not necessarily a bad thing.

any particular brand of hang on filter that I should use?

If your not going with a barebottom then the skimmer and a small bio-wheel type hangon with the biowheel removed and some chaeto inside it. Deep sand will be fine but you will have nitrate issues with just the skimmer alone with any sandbed whatsoever.

chrisdamage
If your not going with a barebottom then the skimmer and a small bio-wheel type hangon with the biowheel removed and some chaeto inside it. Deep sand will be fine but you will have nitrate issues with just the skimmer alone with any sandbed whatsoever.

I've decided to go with the skimmer and one of those hang on refugiums... I just need to save up a bit of money then I will order them...

yeah you want/need a good skimmer. I have the red sea prizm (with the area for media-deluxe?) and its perfect. Also very slim so it will hang off the backside of your HOB fuge most likely. Mine does. The powerhead/pump is external so the heat addition is minimal.

Archived