inTank Media Baskets

New/Used Skimmer

dweebikus

Hi All, I just got a used Aqua C Remora from one of the folks on the site. I hooked the MaxiJet 1200 to it and stuck it in my tank, plugged the powerhead in and now it's skimming away. My two questions are:

1) Will it ever shut up? Is it going to make this sucking noise forever?

2) Will the micro bubbles settle down? It's made my tank rather bubbly.

1) Will it ever shut up? Is it going to make this sucking noise forever?

Mine doesn't make a sucking noise.

2) Will the micro bubbles settle down? It's made my tank rather bubbly.

Yes... It need to be broken in... can last as long as 1 to 2 weeks. But they will stop.

Heh, I used to live in Westminster.

Anyways, as far as the noise goes, it's very audible. I sit about 4 feet away from it and it's really obnoxious. Could something have come loose inside or is there anything I should check to see where the noise is coming from? It definately sounds like the first two chambers.

Also, the bubbles it's producing inside aren't quite making it up to the collection cup, part of breaking in?

Edit: Just found the online manual for the Remora. The noise and such is part of the breakin. Thanks.

THeres a mod to fix the noise, very simple and i doubt it ruins the warranty. Problem is i cant find it..... Its something about a wet paper towel or something.....

I've never owned a skimmer that didn't need to be broken in on a system after being closeted. It should skim better, quiet down and lose most of the microbubbles after 3 days to a week. If you have a light bioload it might take a bit longer. DON'T MOD ANYTHING UNTIL YOU'VE GIVEN IT A CHANCE TO BREAK IN.

Yeah, my bioload is light, I've got 2 corals, 4 hermits, a clownfish and 4 snails. Oh, and a PomPom I always forget cuz he hardly comes out.

Archived