Cultivated Reef

Frogspawn questions

zerocool84

I was at the LFS today and saw a pretty nice frogspawn for a decent price. I asked the guy if a clown would host the frogspawn and he said it might but he recommended not getting it for that reason. He said the clown might hurt the frogspawns membrane and another reason I can't remember off the top of my head. Was that good advice or was he pretty close to being right? If he is right, is there something, aside from an anemone, that a clown will host? I only have 8 gallons to deal with and I don't have the room for an anemone. Thanks all.

I don't know if it would actually hurt the Frogspawn. I have a Clown Goby that loves mine and is always playing it and my two Clownfish took right to my anemone. The only thing I really could suggest would be a Torch.

- Chris

i would really discourage a torch in an 8g tank just because they are very aggressive and have longer sweeper tentacles than the other euphyllia. I would just go for the frogspawn. I dont know if the clown would hurt it, but there are a lot of people out there who have clowns hosting their frogspawn and I havent heard anything bad outta those accounts.

if you want a good surogate host who iosnt bothered by being hosted, look into a sarcophyton (toadstool leather). voted best surrogate host for clowns by GARF... i trust them.

i would really discourage a torch in an 8g tank just because they are very aggressive and have longer sweeper tentacles than the other euphyllia. I would just go for the frogspawn. I dont know if the clown would hurt it, but there are a lot of people out there who have clowns hosting their frogspawn and I havent heard anything bad outta those accounts.

if you want a good surogate host who iosnt bothered by being hosted, look into a sarcophyton (toadstool leather). voted best surrogate host for clowns by GARF... i trust them.

If space is going to be a factor then the Frogspawn should be avoided also. My Frogspawn has tentacles that extend about 4-5 inches just like a Torch does. I would agree that the toadstool leather probably would be the better choice. I forgot about that one. Excellent suggestion!

Chris

Yeah I have alot of frogspawn of all different colors but none of my clowns host in them. But I also have a BTA and they take to that first. Someone I know has a Perc. that hosts in her frogspawn. She is PieNinja on here. You might want to PM her and ask her. Just tell her irishtexan sent you.

GL!

-texx

jme, frogspawn has very fragile bone walls n will crack at the slightest touch. And if u have seen the way how clown hosts its coral, i'm sure you won't want to get any lps species just for hosting purposes...

Softies will be a better alternative than any of the lps species... just my 0.02

jme, frogspawn has very fragile bone walls n will crack at the slightest touch. And if u have seen the way how clown hosts its coral, i'm sure you won't want to get any lps species just for hosting purposes...

Softies will be a better alternative than any of the lps species... just my 0.02

I have a huge toadstool in my 29 gallon and my clown would never host. I bought a frogspawn and it is hosting well.

I have 3 double branched FrogSpawn in my 10g tank and my clown hosted in the main one the same day he came into the tank (In January). He's not rough with it but does lay and wiggle in it almost all the time. They seem to be doing well as all three have split since I got them earlier this year. I also have a torch coral which he doesn't even pay attention to. I highly suggest the FrogSpawn but then again it happens to be my FAVORITE coral of all.

Allen

mascencerro

My wife just bought me a 3 headed frogspawn for fathers day, clown hasn't touched it yet.

But it did recently start hosting my 11 headed candy cane. The cane doesn't seem to mind.

nanoreefbro

I have two sets of clowns that host in frogspawn.. I have a pair of Black Onyx Clowns that started hosting to my frogspawn as soon as I added them to my tank. The only problem I have seen is that the clowns get scratched hosting inside of it. Nothing you can really do about that except to take the frogspawn out. In my other tank I have 3 clowns that host and they seem to be fine. They have already laid eggs several times.

My tomato clown just seemed to start hosting in my frogspawn here in my office this morning. He/she is partially wiggling in my GSP and then over to the FrogSpawn. Looks really cool. Every time I get the camera near he darts into the LR and laughs at me!!

Allen :)

i noticed that they seem to be more gentle with other corals when hosting in them as opposed to anemones, they are very weird about hosting though, you never know if they will take to anything in particular, i had one that chose my clam over a bta....

Archived