Innovative Marine Aquariums

AIRCRAFT CARRIER NANO-REEF!

IJCOBRA

Hey guys!

I'm thinking of getting myself a nano-reef for work. The thing is, I work on an aircraft carrier!

It'd be great on my desk. I have people come in and sit down while I go through their paperwork, and it'd give them (and me) something to look at while they wait.

Now, my shop is air conditioned, and it gets plenty cold. I'd say 60-65 degrees is average (yes, it's cold). I see most nano all-in-ones do not come with a heater. Or do they? Which type of heater would you recommend, and would it go in the "sump" or in the tank?

Now, the ship doesn't really rock so much, but I would have the tank somewhat secured to the desk just in case. Sometimes when the ship goes real fast (carriers are the fastest ships) the whole ship will vibrate and rattle, but it's not really bad where my shop is located.

I don't want this thing taking up my whole desk, just a corner, so I'm thinking around 10 gallons.

I'd like:

A couple clownfish mated to an anemone or coral

A couple crabs

Maybe a shrimp

A feather duster

Other than that, just cool and interesting stuff to look at for 6 months at a time (deployments).

I can obtain deionized water onboard easy for water changes.

I think this is gonna be pretty cool. BTW I have significant semi-successful saltwater fish experience, but not really reefs. Couple inverts is all.

So give me some advice. I know there are like 6 types of nano-reef all-in-ones out there, which one do you recommend?

Also, I'd prefer acrylic for safety and a fixed lid.

Thanks,

Ian

Hey guys!

I'm thinking of getting myself a nano-reef for work. The thing is, I work on an aircraft carrier!

It'd be great on my desk. I have people come in and sit down while I go through their paperwork, and it'd give them (and me) something to look at while they wait.

Now, my shop is air conditioned, and it gets plenty cold. I'd say 60-65 degrees is average (yes, it's cold). I see most nano all-in-ones do not come with a heater. Or do they? Which type of heater would you recommend, and would it go in the "sump" or in the tank?

Now, the ship doesn't really rock so much, but I would have the tank somewhat secured to the desk just in case. Sometimes when the ship goes real fast (carriers are the fastest ships) the whole ship will vibrate and rattle, but it's not really bad where my shop is located.

I don't want this thing taking up my whole desk, just a corner, so I'm thinking around 10 gallons.

I'd like:

A couple clownfish mated to an anemone or coral

A couple crabs

Maybe a shrimp

A feather duster

Other than that, just cool and interesting stuff to look at for 6 months at a time (deployments).

I can obtain deionized water onboard easy for water changes.

I think this is gonna be pretty cool. BTW I have significant semi-successful saltwater fish experience, but not really reefs. Couple inverts is all.

So give me some advice. I know there are like 6 types of nano-reef all-in-ones out there, which one do you recommend?

Also, I'd prefer acrylic for safety and a fixed lid.

Thanks,

Ian

If you are on a carrier then you can use fresh saltwater for water changes. The only reason most people don't use it is b/c inshore it is possibly contaminated, but I am assuming that you will be out @ sea.

firsti :welcome: to Nr. To answer some questions all in one tanks do not come with heaters. They do have back chambers where you can hide the heater. Building a sump would not be a good idea if you want it on your desk. I suggest looking into getting an all in one such as a biocube 8 or a nano cube 12 or something along those lines. Im not to sure about the all in one tanks but i think they would be best for a desk because no hob equipment or mess and the tank has a canopy. HTH

Sounds cool! You might have trouble keeping an anemone though, esp. in a 10 gal or less. Also most people recommend having your tank up for at least 6 months before adding one. I know people that have been successful with young tanks, but just trying to give you a heads up.

For a heater, I would look at stealth heaters. I have heard really good things about them, and they are plastic, so they would be great for your application. Just remember to take your time! :D

I would not recommend the small finnex titanium with the external controller. The hydor (or rebranded aga) makes a small glass that I have been using, the 100watt is like 8inches so the 50 is probably smaller.

I would not recommend the small finnex titanium with the external controller. The hydor (or rebranded aga) makes a small glass that I have been using, the 100watt is like 8inches so the 50 is probably smaller.

Why would you not recommend the finnex? What problems have you had with it?

Why would you not recommend the finnex? What problems have you had with it?

It died on me within a couple of weeks. also the external controller is kinda cheap, I didn not like the dial to control the temp. And the cord is really short.

I have 2 ebo jagers and 1 AGA (hydor) and they all worked great. The ebo's are great but are to big for an 8-15.

You mentioned that you would prefer acrylic over glass for safety. You also mentioned the all-in-one tanks. I know the Nano-Cubes and AquaPods are glass, I'm not sure about the Bio Cubes. I think Finnex make acrylic all-in-ones, but you'll have to check to be sure. You could also have an acrylic all-in-one custom made.

RayWhisperer

Welcome to N-R.com.

I'd also recommend a Finnex if you are looking into acrylic. BTW, in your situation,I would agree, acrylic is the way to go.

I'd also suggest staying away from an anemone. First due to a young tank. Second due to the tank being broken down in 6 months. Third would be lighting. You could upgrade the lighting on the Finnex, but you've still got two other reasons not to get one. Besides, a frogspawn, torch, or hammer coral would do just fine for clowns to host in. Most people wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Welcome to the Nano-Reef forum.

Maybe a little big for you but who knows...

I have a RedSea Max (34 Gallons) which is a all-in-one. Includes skimmer, heater etc...

Michael

RSM04-04-02.jpg

RSM04-04-11.jpg

RSM061307.jpg

It died on me within a couple of weeks. also the external controller is kinda cheap, I didn not like the dial to control the temp. And the cord is really short.

I have 2 ebo jagers and 1 AGA (hydor) and they all worked great. The ebo's are great but are to big for an 8-15.

thanks....I have a jager heater that boiled a bucket of water on the lowest setting on the dial and even when readjusted to the lowest setting.

Welcome to the Nano-Reef forum.

Maybe a little big for you but who knows...

I have a RedSea Max (34 Gallons) which is a all-in-one. Includes skimmer, heater etc...

Michael

Yeah... I've been on carriers and uhm... that puppy is not gonna work.

thanks....I have a jager heater that boiled a bucket of water on the lowest setting on the dial and even when readjusted to the lowest setting.

Heaters does not control the heat their emitting like the stoves coils. They just turn on to full heat and they control the time they're on to reach the desired temp.

did you have it calibrated properly ?

My Nano Cube 12g DX is acrylic. It's sitting right here on my desk and I LOVE it! I have a stealth heater in chamber #3.

You have to keep you BIOload low in these small tanks and one clown fish and one other small fish will max it out for fish. Keep it low and your whole life will be so much better. I love my Nano-Cube and it's a GREAT conversation starter and very relaxing to have in my office. Go go for the Nano 12g DX.

Allen

I'm pretty sure that all Nano Cube (JBJ) tanks are glass. I have a Finnex 9 gallon tank and i like it a lot. Check Nanotuners.com.

My Nano Cube 12g DX is acrylic. It's sitting right here on my desk and I LOVE it! I have a stealth heater in chamber #3.

You have to keep you BIOload low in these small tanks and one clown fish and one other small fish will max it out for fish. Keep it low and your whole life will be so much better. I love my Nano-Cube and it's a GREAT conversation starter and very relaxing to have in my office. Go go for the Nano 12g DX.

Allen

I'd get the 12g DX it if it's acrylic. Where can I get an acrylic one? I keep seeing it listed as glass.

Aren't Finnex tanks open top? I want closed top. www.finnex.net

How do these tanks perform "stock"? How essential are the upgrade kits like on www.nanocustoms.com? Big price difference, is it worth it?

Yeah I have a BioCube and I really like it. IDK any all in one acrylic tanks out there. I think that you should get an all in one tank and do a coldwater tank! With some cold water anemones and everything. Maybe like a Waratah or something.

Just an idea.

-texx

I am pretty sure that he BioCube 8 is def too small. I have one and the bioload that you are putting into the tank would be far too much for that little tank. But if you check it everyday and do biweekly water changes you may survive.

I think the 14 is minimum. The biocube is nice because it looks good and it is glass. You will have to get a heater of course. Prob a 50W stealth. Good because you can change the level of the heat from the top. If your temp is going to be a big prob then you should get a digital thermometer. I am sure that the shop on the ship will have one that you could borrow.

Good luck. just don't rush it. I know that it will take at least a month before your tank cycles so be patient.

Here are some links to read up before you take the plunge.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101001

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/ReefSchool.aspx

and some suppliers

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=6

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...p;N=0&Nty=1

http://seaside-treasure.com/page4.html

I think I'd stay away from the glass all-in-ones just to be safe :(

Look into Finnex...its a bit more $, but its worth it.

also check out www.glasscages.com

They do acrylic fabrication, and you could probably get one of theirs :)

They do false walls, overflows, anything you can imagine !

I wish you the best of luck getting this to work. I would suggest a reef-safe epoxy for any rock you put in it. Any vibration is surely going to be felt in the rocks.....so secure everything in that tank. (You don't want rock slides everyday.)

Archived