SaltCritters.com

Echino and Chalice thread....

MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

since I'm a roll on some threads of the corals I've been collecting, I thought I might as well add these so we can see some Echino and chalice eye candies... :)

so, who wants to start?

:D

Orange Sherbet

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

JenDub Pink Lemonade

DSC00247.jpg

Forest Fire echino (not the wildfire this is kind of a reversal)

DSC00260.jpg

Zep watermelon

DSC00258.jpg

MarvinsReef

bumpity bump... :)

EchinoGroup_P.jpg

Tyree Aspera

Aspera_1P.jpg

Aspera_2P.jpg

Tang Orange -- still recovering from fragging

OrangeEchino_P.jpg

BubbleGum Pink

RedEchino_1P.jpg

RedEchino_2P.jpg

MarvinsReef
WOW Marvin!!! WOW. Awesome stuff. do you get most of your corals from online vendors?

local collectors, online vendors, and friends... :)

I did a lot of trading last year to get my collection to where it is now.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MarvinsReef
Man marvin I am going to chase after you for some watermelon and bubblegum when I get my display back up!!

the BubbleGum is up for grabs now.. but the WaterMelon will be a while.. ;)

the BubbleGum is up for grabs now.. but the WaterMelon will be a while.. ;)

lol yea im broke My Current "spare" money if there is such a thing is going towards a custom tank being built.

but Those are on my list I have really fell in love with chalice/chinos.

strangelove

So what is the diference between an Echino and a Chalice coral anyways? I know there are Echinophyllia, is Chalice just the common name for this coral species?

er1c_the_reefer
So what is the diference between an Echino and a Chalice coral anyways? I know there are Echinophyllia, is Chalice just the common name for this coral species?

echino generally refers to echinophyllia genus of coral.

chalice is a given trade name and generally encompasses echinophyllia, oxypora, mycedium, and some echinopora (e.g. lamellosa (plating), but not mammiformis (branching))

strangelove
echino generally refers to echinophyllia genus of coral.

chalice is a given trade name and generally encompasses echinophyllia, oxypora, mycedium, and some echinopora (e.g. lamellosa (plating), but not mammiformis (branching))

Right on, thanks

I've read that Echino are usually drab and brown when they first get to a LFS and that it's easy to overlook these corals. I've only noticed these corals at one LFS in my area since they came from a Steve Tyree collection where the corals developed their colors before they were shipped to the LFS.

Has anyone bought a drab brown Enhino which colored up? For how much did you pick it up for? And how long did it take to change color?

strangelove
Thanks for sharing the pictures! I'm going to have to buy a few frags one of these days!

Anna :)

When I saw some of the colorful Echino frags I was floored, the colors are so intense. These have become my favorite corals so far.

er1c_the_reefer

i wouldn't say drab brown, but for sure not intense. most echinos in the lfs have some sort of color and will usually color up more at home. to what potential is a coin toss. yes, there are the ugly duckling echinos, but i still say you have to know colors pretty well to figure out which ones will turn into the swan.

if you were reading about echinos in the tyree magazine article, they're generally referring to the fact that most lfs keep them in less than optimal conditions (e.g. enough lighting to keep them alive), but once you get them home, they tend to color up like crazy under strong halides and regular feeding.

strangelove
i wouldn't say drab brown, but for sure not intense. most echinos in the lfs have some sort of color and will usually color up more at home. to what potential is a coin toss. yes, there are the ugly duckling echinos, but i still say you have to know colors pretty well to figure out which ones will turn into the swan.

if you were reading about echinos in the tyree magazine article, they're generally referring to the fact that most lfs keep them in less than optimal conditions (e.g. enough lighting to keep them alive), but once you get them home, they tend to color up like crazy under strong halides and regular feeding.

Here are the echino frags I picked up the other day. I'm on the hunt for LFS ugly ducklings echinos.

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

er1c_the_reefer
Here are the echino frags I picked up the other day. I'm on the hunt for LFS ugly ducklings echinos.

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

nice, how much did you get them for if you don't mind me asking

Here's one on my ugly ducklings which has turned out to be one of my favorites. It started out as a small "frag" which was a very drab brownish green color. It has gained a lot more white since this picture was taken a few months ago, and the green is much brighter in person.

Green-Chalice.jpg

Archived