SaltCritters.com

Pink stuff...

Omen

I posted this question in the DIY forum but I guess this is a better place. Anyone have any idea what this it? It is only on the Silicone...

post-28750-1181977140_thumb.jpg

alrighty.... update:

It has been 2.5 days since the pink-ish stuff came out and nothing happened since. There isn't more of it - there isn't less of it. I tried to scrape it off, but if won't come off. It is also not slimy. So I have no idea what it is. Anyone else have any ideas?

It is just in the corners on the silicone, not on the rocks or sand. Is that not weird?

Looking for help....

Yeah its pretty wierd. I would have guessed slime algae but that comes off really easy. So what is it? :huh:

This is really off topic but how do you like your Elite Mini? Im thinking about getting one for my 1G as the main circ./filtration. Does it filter too? Also, how low can you turn the flow down?

Thanks!

-texx

hehe I bought it from PetNO so I had something circulating the water before I would connect the sump to the tank.

I would aguuest you go to PetNO and buy one. If you done like it, you have 30 days to return it. I love Corp. . They take anything back.

You cant really low the flow down. It either works with power on or you turn it off.

I think it will be to too strong for your 1G. The middle of the sumb has about 3- 4 G right now and there is a big hole in the middle of the chamber. all the sand is being washed away.

I put a snail in there now to see what is going on and it has been in the corner eating the pink stuff for 45 min now. So it must be something it likes..... really weird....

Yeah its pretty wierd. I would have guessed slime algae but that comes off really easy. So what is it? :huh:

This is really off topic but how do you like your Elite Mini? Im thinking about getting one for my 1G as the main circ./filtration. Does it filter too? Also, how low can you turn the flow down?

Thanks!

-texx

Helfrichs Chick

Not cyano, doubt its coraline..... my idea.... may be way out there, but did you use the fiji pink sand? Did you silicone that yourself? If you did the silicone job yourself, and you used the fiji pink, I wonder if the very fine pink sand dust adhere to the probally not cured silicone ??????

I have seen silicone change all kinds of colors if not the right type or if not fully cured. Hum that is a head scratcher.

Have you added any chems? Give more on the tank, how long set up what type of rock additives and water perameters.

Not cyano, doubt its coraline..... my idea.... may be way out there, but did you use the fiji pink sand? Did you silicone that yourself? If you did the silicone job yourself, and you used the fiji pink, I wonder if the very fine pink sand dust adhere to the probally not cured silicone ??????

I have seen silicone change all kinds of colors if not the right type or if not fully cured. Hum that is a head scratcher.

Have you added any chems? Give more on the tank, how long set up what type of rock additives and water perameters.

Well,

the tank has been up and running for about 3 months and everything is cool. No problems so far.

The sump was made by me and I used AGA silicone. There are no leaks and it has been running for about 5 days now?

I didn't use the Fiki pink sand. It is just normal sand. Got it from aquatic depot in Inglewood. It is just on the silicone and nowhere else.

And no, never added any chems to the tank or the sump.

Helfrichs Chick

Well thats all I got, Since its been up for 3 months it could be coraline. It looked to new for that but it could be. Good luck

In your picture, do I also see some faint pink spots on the substrate?

I wonder if this could be some kind of diatom. Just because we're only used to seeing the brown ones on our glass, etc., doesn't mean another kind couldn't find its way into our systems. There are certainly a vast array of diatoms in different colors. And many snails are diatom grazers. It would be neat if you could get some of this under a microscope.

--Diane

Archived