Pod Your Reef

Am i running too hot?

teri

Hi all,

I added a 10 watt halogen submersible to my second filter chamber to grow some chaeto--my tank was at around 78-79 and now it is almost at 82. Is this too hot for corals and fish?If it is, is anybody using a simple to drop in submersible that doesn't get so hot?

Thanks!

Teri

Hi all,

I added a 10 watt halogen submersible to my second filter chamber to grow some chaeto--my tank was at around 78-79 and now it is almost at 82. Is this too hot for corals and fish?If it is, is anybody using a simple to drop in submersible that doesn't get so hot?

Thanks!

Teri

Almost at 82 isn't hot. 86 is hot owever, and I wouldn't be comfortable with 84 either. But in nature, many reefs are exposed to 84F+ temps, so as long as you stay at a constant almost 82 and don't swing more than 3 degrees down from there, you should be all good. B)

Fishfreak218

82 is fine but it leaves less room for variation... go anywhere over that and its to hot... I would try and get it down to 80 with a fan

During the hurricanes one year I lost power and my tank reach 89...

only two things died and they were both new! a yellow fiji leather and a bangaii cardinal but I got lucky.

82 is fine but it leaves less room for variation... go anywhere over that and its to hot... I would try and get it down to 80 with a fan

During the hurricanes one year I lost power and my tank reach 89...

only two things died and they were both new! a yellow fiji leather and a bangaii cardinal but I got lucky.

Thanks.

The no room for variation thing is making me nervous. Anybody have a lower heat submersible that they are using to good effect?

Does it need to be submersible?

maybe try looking for an LED option? I think the only easy way to rid the heat is to take it out of the tank.

Archived