Cultivated Reef

BC-14 + nanocustoms fan noise

Gomer

I decided to finally upgrade the lighting in my BC 14 and installed another PC bulb via the NC mod (got it from nanotuners).

The fans are loud. WAY louder than the original fans. It isn't one fan, but both. Sounds like a jet engine in my room now. I have computers with 6 fans that are quieter.

Is this normal? Sorta miffed by it.

I just did the same "MOD" on My Nano-Cube 12g and have the SAME results! I think I actually was told or read on NanoCustoms that the new fans were as quiet as the stock ones but mine are like a freaking BLOWER here in my office. If it wasn't for the fact or having to go through the hassle of removing the hood and all the wiring issues ( I opted to solder everything instead of quick connectors) I would change out the fans.

I guess that's the price we pay for added flow & cooling but it's NOT something I am pleased with. :(

Allen

I decided to finally upgrade the lighting in my BC 14 and installed another PC bulb via the NC mod (got it from nanotuners).

The fans are loud. WAY louder than the original fans. It isn't one fan, but both. Sounds like a jet engine in my room now. I have computers with 6 fans that are quieter.

Is this normal? Sorta miffed by it.

You could quiet the fans by reducing the voltage to them by using a variable power supply (radioshack multi-adapt 3V to 12V), but all that realy does is slow the fans down....

I used some rubber between the fan and the "pins" for the hardware. Helps ALOT. My BC is next to my bed <2ft and I can sleep with them on max 12V

If you got the increased air flow fans they are louder but move more air. I got the variable voltage adapter and run mine on 9.5v. That makes a big difference in noise. Personally I can live with the fan noise better than cooked fish.

I am running mine (as we type this) with the fans OFF! The temp has increased .2 degrees in 1.5 hours. Hmmmm wonder what's up with that....

Allen

DarthFred6996

Is it really any louder than the sound of water dripping and flowing constantly in an open system? Not really. That is what I keep telling myself after doing the same mod. I am real happy with the lighting though. SilentX has some fans that will work that are supposed to be much quieter, but that means taking it all back apart. I may do that and add some rubber and maybe that will help.

Look on the bright side (no pun intended) the lights are better.

The lights are SWEET!! And if I knew then what I know now I would opt for the quieter fans but the idea of taking the whole stinking thing apart again and rediong some of it (This tank is in My office and I have to take it home with my tools to mod it) just makes me disgusted. And to be honest, these fans are considerably louder than the water sound of an open top system. I have that at home. It sounds like jet plane about to take off here in the office. I may take it all apart in the near future and add the isolation rubbers and quieter fans once I get too disgusted... :lol:

Allen

i noticed the same thing in my nanocustoms nanocube 12dx.

the 2 fans are WAY louder than the computer in my room... it was kind of a shock to hear how loud they were the first time i fired em up.

my cube is in my room, close to my bed, so i just put the fans on a timer that shuts them off a half hour after the lights go out, and turns them back on a half hour after the lights turn back on the next morning.

my fans from nc are louder than stock, but i dont find it too bad at all... I like them much better than the stock ones from my nano cube because the stock ones sometimes decided to make contact with something for no reason a make a racket until i walked over and smacked the canopy... PITA!!! no such problems with the new fans, plus, no heat problems at all with 70W MH and 32W PC...

Yeah I can't complain about the efficiency of the fans but my NC12g sits right next to my 125g which is running a 1200gph dual overflow and two big canister filters and I can still hear it over the overflows.

I got the normal fans...they are just LOUD. like hairdryer loud. Not mechanical buzzing that a rubber washer can fix.

I easily hear the fan noise down the hall in another room.

..and tank shot? LOL. I'll see. This tank was more a proof of concept that I could move from FW and keep a reef a live. nothing fancy about it. infact, the corals for the most part are boring :(

Archived