Top Shelf Aquatics

Best Lighting Color Spectrum

StevieT

This is more of a personal preference question I believe.

I have an Eclipse 12, heavily modified since the only thing stock that is worth keeping is the hood and actual tank. I retrofitted it with a 96 W Corallife power compact. It came with a 50/50 bulb.

It seems like the lighting is too "white" for my preference, and that my corals would look nicer under a more Actinic blue color.

Does anyone else have this light? Have you upgraded the bulb? What is the best color spectrum to use in a reef tank?

Regards!

This is more of a personal preference question I believe.

I have an Eclipse 12, heavily modified since the only thing stock that is worth keeping is the hood and actual tank. I retrofitted it with a 96 W Corallife power compact. It came with a 50/50 bulb.

It seems like the lighting is too "white" for my preference, and that my corals would look nicer under a more Actinic blue color.

Does anyone else have this light? Have you upgraded the bulb? What is the best color spectrum to use in a reef tank?

Regards!

Is that the quad bulb? You can only get a 50/50 in the quad.

If it isnt ^, I'd run actininc on the far outsides, and 10k in the middle ( assuming it is 4 bulbs )

Is that the quad bulb? You can only get a 50/50 in the quad.

If it isnt ^, I'd run actininc on the far outsides, and 10k in the middle ( assuming it is 4 bulbs )

Yeah, it is a quad and that is what I was afraid of. I thought I saw an alterante bulb for this light, one that has 4 bulbs with some actininc

Yeah, it is a quad and that is what I was afraid of. I thought I saw an alterante bulb for this light, one that has 4 bulbs with some actininc

I have the same tank with the same light except that I do not have the hood on. When I first upgraded my lighting from a current usa 40w satellite I was also dissapointed with the actinic in the powerquad. My corals did not seem very happy and my coraline seemed to be turning white. After about 2 months the corals started to be brighter in color and they have grown in size considerably. The coraline appears to be making a comeback, however, it is not as bright purple as it was with the current usa satellite. I kind of wish that I would have went with the dual 40w satellite because the light spectrum is awsome but I am beginning to like the powerquad more and more as time goes on.

Thats good to hear. So you do have the 50/50 bulb in the fixture? My corals seem to be doing fine, it is jus that ocean blue look that would be nice to capture! I would think it would pop the colors out a little more on the zoas.

is it possible to fit in another bulb in there, like a t5 or another pc like a 32W?

if so then just add another actinic bulb to the set up

is it possible to fit in another bulb in there, like a t5 or another pc like a 32W?

if so then just add another actinic bulb to the set up

It is a pretty tight fit. I would like to leave the very back of the hood open so I can feed and top off my tank daily. I really would like it to look more blue. It sucks they don't make a better 4 pin bulb

Archived