Coral Vue Hydros

is apitsia really that bad?

spazizz

well i super glued it yesterday and if i see more i may get one of those shrimps. But ive heard that they sometimes eat corals when the apistia is all gone.. is that true?

Juanhunglo69

My sources for live rock are limited and alot of time I get rocks with aptasia already on it. I have found that if you inject liquid calcium right into the aptasia it dies right away. Sometimes I have had to go back and do it a second time though. Maybe if I pulled the rock out of the water and let it sit on the injected spot for a minute it would always work first time. I have tried this with just fresh water as well but have found the the aptasia has to be larger and the water being injected directly into it. And yes aptasia will kill/stress whatever is sitting next to it.

BustytheSnowMaam
well i super glued it yesterday and if i see more i may get one of those shrimps. But ive heard that they sometimes eat corals when the apistia is all gone.. is that true?

I have probably had half a dozen pep shrimps between my two tanks in the last 5 years and never, ever have I seen one eating corals. They might annoy the corals by walking on them, but that's about it. There are shrimp who look similar to pep shrimp called camel-back shrimp that I've heard may eat coral, but camel-back shrimp have a large hump in the middle of the back, pep shrimp don't. Also be sure to get a wild-caught pep- my tank-raised ones never ate aiptasia.

reefman225gal

I have to agree the Lysmata wurdemanni is known as being the true peppermint shrimp. In reef aquariums it is heralded for its proclivty to control pest Aiptasia which it does very well. Beware as the above poster stated there are a few lysmata that resemble this creature. Although concidered reef- safe, keep a close eye on corals and clams with all Lysmata in the aquarium. Oh yeah the super glue should work great.

- good luck

• 8 years later...

Archived