Top Shelf Aquatics

is apitsia really that bad?

spazizz

i found a little one in my tank yesterday and im debating what to with it cuz its so small. i know it can sting corals and what not, but is it really that harmful to fish, i have clown gobies, false perc, and firefish. Im thinking if it aint that bad ill let it grow and stuff cuz i suck at keeping corals so why not? i only have two corals right know, encrusting gorganion and some zoanthids.

linkia lady

Well, the do grow fast and multiple quickly too. I saw one in my tank than 3 days later I saw three more. Get some joes juice! I probably had about 12 in my tank and they came from just one on a frag I bought. This probably happened in about one months time.

tell me about it... a few aiptasia wiped out an entire zoa colony for me, if the sting dosent kill corals it will stress them severelly and then a rather simple bacterial infection can set in as a secondary effect and cause a wipe-out of the colony.

travisurfer

you can just glue over the aiptasia. drying it out will just ruin the integrity of the rock anyway.

EDIT:for grammar ;)

you can just glue over the aiptasia. drying it out will just ruin the integrity of the rock anyway.

EDIT:for grammar ;)

are you serious? would that actually work?

travisurfer

yeah, it should. i think thats all joe's juice does anyway. it just covers up the aiptasia and seals over it for the most part. if you make sure you get it all over the hole and seal it up, it should be gone.

just go spend the 10 dollars and get the juice, then you will have it for a while.

if you have enough money to stock your tank you can spare 10 dollars to keep things healthy. I am not trying to be an antagonist but I have heard a lot of people suggest it and you won't have to worry.

travisurfer

lol johnny, give it a shot :)

i would let the glue completely setup outside of the tank to tey to get a better shot of a complete seal. its not guaranteed, but it is cheap and easy ;)

chrisdamage
its truely evil.. sounds like its some kind of tank zombie..

joes juice works... just be careful not to get any of it on any of your corals

mr.fishman01

i was told to shoot boiling water on mine. I only had one and i shot it with the water and scraped it off and *knock on wood* i dont have another one. I also heard vinegar will work too.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

scraping/cutting/tearing is the worst thing to do. :(

if ya didnt get it all, the pieces left behind will turn into multiple aptasia.

btw i forgot to mention, aptasia is fantastic for cleaning/filtering water. some have even gone as far as using hundreds of them as a filter system.

Joe's juice, lemon juice, vinegar, boiling water, super glue, epoxy, pepermint shrimp....

There are many ways to deal with the little B******s but they are best dealt wirh ASAP because they can and will take over.

Joe's juice, lemon juice, vinegar, boiling water, super glue, epoxy, pepermint shrimp....

There are many ways to deal with the little B******s but they are best dealt wirh ASAP because they can and will take over.

From back in the day, I'll vouch for the hot water. I have a couple in my current setup right now and they're one trip to the vet's (for a syringe) away from going to that great reef in the sky. Peppermint shrimp'll do it too... but I've heard stories about them getting confused and going after other things when they're bored and the aiptasia's gone.

Forget the juices , if it is only one take the rock out and seal it in with krazy glue gel , then put back into tank .

BustytheSnowMaam

If you seal it over with glue, it will walk and pop out another hole in your rock. I would go the pep shrimp route if I were you, I've never had one eat anything it shouldn't. If you blast it with boiling water (which I have done), the bits and pieces you blast away will form new aiptasia. If you just have one aiptasia and don't overfeed your tank or create favorable conditions for them to thrive, it probably won't bother anything.

I went and got a insulin needle and filled it with a bit of lemon juice.....brought the needle up closely to the apitsia and the thing swallowed the tip...injected a tiny bit and the thing looked like it was melting!

I tried the pep shrimp but it also brought on havoc for my zoas so I chased it out of it's hiding hole during the day and my sixline dined on it.

Is that pleco in your avatar yours ? Ive been looking for one of those for the longest time but have not been able to get one under 400$ . The best L pleco that I have picked up is a gold nugget.

Just buy one or two very large, very hungry Peppermint Shrimp & your problem will be solved in no time. Joes Juice is effective, but make sure you turn off your filter & powerhead while treating, otherwise you'll have a huge mess (trust me, I know from experience!)

I went the natural route and got two peppermint shrimp for my 30 gallon tank, and within two weeks all traces of aptasia were gone and haven't reappeared. I thought about Joe's Juice, but the aptasia in my tank were close to zoanthids and I didn't want to take the chance to kill the zoanthids with Joe's Juice.

I had about 10+ aptasia in my tank. I got a peppermint and he got rid of all of them by the time I woke up the next morning. The only thing I don't like about him is that he steals food from my corals when I feed them. They're about the same price as super glue too.

Archived