Good coral reading material...aids in ID ?

SomethinzFishy

SomethinzFishy

Hi all !

I keep seeing all these really neat topics on what coral are the best for Nano's and everyone has their own ideas about starter corals and what stings what and what goes with what !!

It's totally awesome...

If you were me and know nothing about corals or how to ID them ( soft from hard, etc ) (corals that are good for newbies vs. the more experienced, etc) ( what needs what light level,etc ) is there a good book to read that will help with those of us who are pretty much....coral brain dead ??

I need to read up and these Abbreviations are driving me nuts cause I don't know...noth'n !

It seems a trip to Barnes and noble might be in order if someone has a good idea of where to start !

Thanks a bunch !

- Fishy

borneman's Aquarium Corals is the definitive source hobby-wise. there's some other books that are probably better but much pricer and probably not as hobby-oriented as borneman's.

sprung's Corals is a good beginner ID book. it gives a quick snapshot and description of difficulty and rough suggestions. however, it's very limited in types and selection (he probably needs to put out a 2nd book or even a 3rd one).

there's a couple of specific books on soft corals and hard corals but i find them severely lacking in suggestions and care. they're more picture/coffee books and sometimes inaccurate even at that ime.

nilsen/fossa's and sprung/delbeek's hobby series books, (Modern Reef Aquarium and The Reef Aquarium, respectively) are ok but not really ID-type books imo. and they're pretty costly if you use them as such. and if that's the case you might as well pay for the Veron books on coral IDs.

then there's various scientific publications on new discoveries and research that really genetically ID some of the corals out there. most of it seems to be concentrated in soft corals (or maybe that's just because my personal preference is that field). this is probably due to pharmacological interests, i.e $$$. hth

Just read all of tiny's posts. :)

I would add Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist as a more general reference. Also, the "information" section here on nano-reef is pretty good. The link is in the light grey bar at the top of the page.

Just read all of tiny's posts. :)
and it probably only took you april, may, and part of june to finish. :P gator's must be bleary-eyed after 11,000+ posts. :lol:

unfortunately, my best posts (imo) are locked away in the vault. :(

mnes! wtf!? how's the pr0n business doing, dude? :P haven't seen you around in a while!

mnes! wtf!? how's the pr0n business doing, dude? :P haven't seen you around in a while!

Yeah I havent been on this site in like yeeaarrsss, and I just remembered it. Damn it's good to see some of the old faces still on here. I'm gonna take some photos of my 10g this weekend and upload them, would love to hear some comments.

Got the craziest yellow torch a couple weeks ago :D

Archived