Pod Your Reef

Caribbean Picotope

Dane

Okay everyone,

I know I've been on here a long time, posting, responding and just reading up. I am finally ready to post my new tank on here. It may be small, but it's my baby. Now this is not my first nano. I had one when I was in highschool with only a clown, bta, a few hermits and a cleaner. That tank was fun, but I had to give it away when I went to college - no money and no time. Some of you might remember the desperate kid trying to give away a symbiotic clown and anem - yeah that was me :).

Anyway, for this tank is it going to be Caribbean only - that means everything, from the LR and sand to every clean up crew member. I'm not kidding when I say biotope. I am also going to try to only have aquacultured and maricultured livestock - let's save the reefs WHOOO HOOOO. This tank is also going to be a bit of any experiment for me. I'm going to start with just high quality carib rock and sand and let it grow for awhile. I've always wondered what a reef could turn into from just the critters that come of the rock. I'm also doing this because I need a low stress/maintenance nano. I'm still in college and need to be able to bring my tank home over breaks and not worry about delicate livestock (or any at all haha). This might seem boring to some, but it doesn't take a lot to amuse me.

Okay enough background, here are the specs:

Equipment:

3 gallon picotope

36 watt Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixture

Small hydor pump

25 watt hydor heater

I put in false wall because I hate seeing equipment and wanted a fuge as I hate green algae in the main display. The fuge will hold some LR rubble, macro algae and maybe a mangrove, hermits...whatever. I figure the fuge can hold any other misc stuff that comes along as well. The only visible equipment are the two little white returns - not too distracting I don't think.

post-7802-1181876990_thumb.jpg

Livestock (not yet, but soon)

6 lbs of Fl. Keys LR

4 lbs of Carib Live sand (just want a thin layer)

handful of blue/red leg hermits

Nassarius snails

Things I might get later:

Cool macro algae

carib polyps

ricordea

sexy shrimp

small anem - lil condy (I know there will opposition to this - I'm just considering it)

Gorgonians

Yellow tang (what?...it'll fit AND it's from the caribbean)

Lastly, I'm building an auto top off based off of GreenUku - thanks man. I'll let you know how that goes later. Okay, enough reading, enjoy the pics:

post-7802-1181876934_thumb.jpgpost-7802-1181876950_thumb.jpgpost-7802-1181876967_thumb.jpgpost-7802-1181876978_thumb.jpgpost-7802-1181877037_thumb.jpgpost-16531-1132155275_thumb.jpgpost-7802-1181877056_thumb.jpgpost-7802-1181877066_thumb.jpg[attachmen

=25637:attachment]post-7802-1181877084_thumb.jpg

post-7802-1181877047_thumb.jpg

post-7802-1181877076_thumb.jpg

This sounds interesting and you have some good ideas.

You might want to be on the lookout for the Tang Police tho. :ninja:

circusordie16

i think you might wanna get less live rock, i got 5 pounds for my 2.5 gallon and probably used half. then id ditch the anemone idea and go with no fish, theres really not room after rock and corals in a 3 gallon, especially with a false wall taking up space.

Nice little setup you have there.

Does having the return lines above the surface of the tank water create macro bubbles?

This sounds interesting and you have some good ideas.

You might want to be on the lookout for the Tang Police tho. :ninja:

Tang = joke

And no, there are no micorbubbles

Very nice! I like the Caribbean theme. I got some corals I found snorkeling in PR. Got the zoas, rics, gorgonias and some macro (caulerpa). I'd get a flower anemone like travis said or a umbrella mushroom. Thats rare and looks cool. Good luck

Thanks for all the comments guys. The tank has actually been running about a week now with no salt creep. It's kinda strange, but it seem that even though water evaporates from the entire system only water in the small compartment with the pump goes down. Works for me though - the main part always looks full :). Does anyone know where I could find some sweet flower anems. I've seen some, but I don't care for the green/yellow ones - do they come in other colors? I was also wondering if you guys think 80 gph is enough for this tank - thanks.

Water level due evaporation will always be afected in the sump, fuge or pumps compartment. thats the idea of have a surface skimmer, the water level in the display area will stay the same. Flower anemones come in awesome colors. Don't know where to find them... I can't buy online livestock. Maybe a LFS. 80 GPH should be ok. Pump doesn't loose power at all since its in the back

Flow looks good for that tank.

Try liveaquaria.com, aquacon.com, reeftopia.com, etropicals.com or just ask you LFS to order one for you.

how much space does the false wall took to place the pump etc? I really like that better than a power filter and you can hide the heater and have some macro there.

how much space does the false wall took to place the pump etc? I really like that better than a power filter and you can hide the heater and have some macro there.

The fuge area is about 2 inches wide. This hydor pump was the thinnest I could find.

travisurfer

thats why I love false walls. the tank always looks full :)

best flower anemones i've seen. he can get you just about any coloration. i would ask if you are looking for anything in particular. he also has a ton of other caribbean stuff.

Home Page:

http://www.sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php

Flower Anemones:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php?cP...d81443375fb2f6e

I personally like the white-striped one :P

thats why I love false walls. the tank always looks full :)

best flower anemones i've seen. he can get you just about any coloration. i would ask if you are looking for anything in particular. he also has a ton of other caribbean stuff.

Home Page:

http://www.sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php

Flower Anemones:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php?cP...d81443375fb2f6e

I personally like the white-striped one :P

Thanks travisurfer, i'm actually planning on getting most if not all of my stuff from ken at sealife. I kind of like the white striped too. Does anyone know if flower anems migrate much? How many in a 3 gallon?

travisurfer

i would only get one nem since they can get quite large. they don't move too much once they find their spot so just get one and let it settle in somewhere. give it a ton of space and start stocking your corals around it. there is always a risk but you should be fine. the only problem is that the nem may take up half the tank ;)

i would only get one nem since they can get quite large. they don't move too much once they find their spot so just get one and let it settle in somewhere. give it a ton of space and start stocking your corals around it. there is always a risk but you should be fine. the only problem is that the nem may take up half the tank ;)

Yeah, sounds like plan. I don't like cluttered tanks anyway. I really want an anem because I want the sexy or pederson shrimp to host it it. I know they'll host ricordea, but there's just something about tentacles (that sounded weird...i know :lol: ). I look forward to one centerpiece animal with smaller colorful ones around it - can't wait! Anyone have any experience with pederson shrimp?

I like the Haitian better. The condys are dangerous because they have stung alot of my corals and killed them. The Haitian hasnt and my O. Clown hosted in it too.

-texx

I like the Haitian better. The condys are dangerous because they have stung alot of my corals and killed them. The Haitian hasnt and my O. Clown hosted in it too.

-texx

I've heard that the haitian has better color too. What do ya think?

Hey guys,

haven't posted all week cuz I've been on vacation:). Wish I could have gone to florida and seen the very reefs I'm attempting to simulate, but instead went to the middle of wisconsin - whooohooo. Anyway, I will be ordering the live rock and sand very soon, but before I do I have a question. My tank has been running for about 2 weeks with just light and saltwater in the tank but now the water is slightly cloudy - there seems to be very fine particles in the water. I put a small piece of filter felt near the overflow to help clear up the water. Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be and how to fix it? I just don't want to get the rock in and then decide to clean out the tank.

travisurfer
Hey guys,

haven't posted all week cuz I've been on vacation:). Wish I could have gone to florida and seen the very reefs I'm attempting to simulate, but instead went to the middle of wisconsin - whooohooo. Anyway, I will be ordering the live rock and sand very soon, but before I do I have a question. My tank has been running for about 2 weeks with just light and saltwater in the tank but now the water is slightly cloudy - there seems to be very fine particles in the water. I put a small piece of filter felt near the overflow to help clear up the water. Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be and how to fix it? I just don't want to get the rock in and then decide to clean out the tank.

Wow, now thats creepy. I was just in Appleton, Wisconsin for a week. :eek: Anyway, haitian and condy nem's are in the same family but different species. They both grow HUGE and have a strong sting. I remember tinyreef saying that the nem's with a red base were more likely to host but that doesn't really matter. Just pick the one you like. The only problem with the condy is that you will have to upgrade the tank or get rid of it after only a short period of time. They get huge. When I was diving I saw one with an oral disk over a foot in diameter so keep that in mind. The stuff in your water is probably just dust btw.

Hey travisurfer,

It's a small world, I was vacationing in Mishicot for the week with my family. Do you go to Appleton often? Anyway, thanks for the advice - I think I will just go with a nice flower anem. Like I said, I put a piece of filter felt in the tank and it's now turing a light brownish/green. I'm still not sure what is in the water. Could it be algae? I figure it's highly unlikely because there are virtually no nutrience in the water, but who knows. Well stay tuned everyone, I plan to order LR and sand this week...can't wait! :D

Archived