SaltCritters.com

Tales of the Red Fire Anemone! How RARE is it? It's ALIEN.

PurpleUP

redfire1.jpg

redfire2.jpg

redfire3.jpg

First of all what in the hell is this? When I saw it at the LFS today, I just had to have it. Tried to negotiate but they wouldn't let it go for any less than the $119 I paid for it. The fish guy explained that he hasn't seen another one like it in 15 years! So I was told, this is a Red Fire Anemone, VERY RARE, from Australia. Is this true? Or was I scammed? It is of no matter. It's simply mystifying.

When I first bought it, it was fastened like a mushroom to a long branch rock. I simply thought it was the most beautiful mushroom I've ever seen, and there it would remain. But as soon as I set it into the tank, it detached from the branch -- so I decided to CRAZY GLUE it back on! It held on for no more than 15 minutes before extending its tentacles to pull from the glue, and relocate itself to the mushroom rock you see in the photo. Couldn't have found a better place for it myself. I wonder if it will move again...

I'll try to get a snapshot of the animal when its fully extended. It reaches roughly 3.5 inches outward. So magnificant. Does anyone else have one?

joel sandoman

IMO if it was that rare it would have costed a whole lot more. although it is kinda small, so i dunno. beautiful though.

IMO if it was that rare it would have costed a whole lot more. although it is kinda small, so i dunno. beautiful though.

I figure the same thing. Worth the $119 either way (I think).

You got played.....

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like a carnation coral.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=645

Haha. I hope I didn't get played. They had carnation corals at the store as well. This is definitely an anemone. It's got a mouth with tentacles and a long stomach of some sort. Doesn't show in the pic though. I'll take more pics when the opportunity presents itself.

Could be. I was reading another posting (but lost it) about these things being able to float around and attach to things at will. And after what I saw today, I believe it can! It had a weird way of using its mouth to peel itself from its base, and relocate at its own leisure.

you superglued it? that's not good at all. let it roam around until it's happy. in the meantime, if it's like other anems, it'll kill everything it touches, so be ready to move your coral out of the way =)

The vast majority have anemones have the ability to move and/or float around until they find a spot they are happy with.

you superglued it? that's not good at all. let it roam around until it's happy. in the meantime, if it's like other anems, it'll kill everything it touches, so be ready to move your coral out of the way =)

Yeah, I did super glue it. Didn't want to lose it to the cuurrent, but I had no idea it would attach so quickly to something else. Do you think those purple shrooms will be ok?

I don't think anything in there will be ok when it expands and grows larger. These are known to even sting humans.

I don't think anything in there will be ok when it expands and grows larger. These are known to even sting humans.

Hmmm, he did tell me it could sting me. I'm building a 200 gallon when $ permits. Perhaps then, all will be fine. I'll keep a close eye on it and everything else in the meantime. Thanks for the heads up.

djchristone

dude...those things are like 5$

NAAAWT - borat style - you felt played for a second huh? :P

nice find! :)

Pics taken at 430am. IT'S ALIEN!

redA.jpg

redB.jpg

redC.jpg

redD.jpg

redE.jpg

redF.jpg

redG.jpg

Now that you've SEEN it, what should I feed it? and how often? (There are two fish in here that it can possibly snack on: 1 Mandarin Goby, 1 Firefish, or possibly 1 Cleaner Shrimp.)

when i see them on my wholesaler's list they only cost us like $30, so $119 is the expected retail. they never show up when we order them though :/

when i see them on my wholesaler's list they only cost us like $30, so $119 is the expected retail. they never show up when we order them though :/

Hmmm. So they may be hard do get, huh. Would you mind letting me know what its name is on the wholesaler's order list? Scientific name? Perhaps then I can learn more about what I have.

WoW - That is pretty cool.

I would try feeding it krill - my anem seemed to handle krill much better then silver sides. You should just mix it up and see what it does best on.

If all else fails there are always BK Chicken Nuggets... :D

Archived