Cultivated Reef

Do ALL blennies become pigs...?

shrinky

:lol:

So basically here is my question - has anyone else had experience with their HERBIVORE blennies becoming total pigs and being the first to eat every possible bit of food that touches their tank water?

Granted, I know we are all dealing with captive fish, who tend to become spoiled and overfed in the first place... but my bicolor and tailspot blennnies (two separate tanks) have developed a taste for... well... everything.

Firstly, I always figured these guys were herbivores, since most literature refer to them that way, given their comb-like mouth... then I noticed my blennies took a liking to meaty foods - squid, mysis, everything really... now they almost EXCLUSIVELY eat those foods, even when various algae are present.

The odd thing, is I had been worried about my bicolor, who I have had since he was a baby - he has grown quite a bit in the 16+ months I have had him, and has never had a sunken belly, visible sickness, or lack of appetite... but from what I can tell he is eating ONLY meat-based food (mysis, squid, shrimp, flakes, cyclopeeze, etc.)

It's not so much that I am worried about them, since they are obviously healthy and doing just fine - but has anyone else experienced carnivorous transformations with their blennies?

My Bi-color loves mysis but also picks at algae on the rocks. I think if he had the choice he would eat mysis all the time he's the first one out of the rock when they hit the water. My stigmata blenny for a wile would just eat algae now he goes for the mysis too. Wich is funny he takes it out like an alagator he grabs it then rolls in the sand for a second then takes off in to the rock.

My Bi-color loves mysis but also picks at algae on the rocks. I think if he had the choice he would eat mysis all the time he's the first one out of the rock when they hit the water. My stigmata blenny for a wile would just eat algae now he goes for the mysis too. Wich is funny he takes it out like an alagator he grabs it then rolls in the sand for a second then takes off in to the rock.

Good to hear! Thanks for the reply, heh.

Archived