Pod Your Reef

Happy Graduation- BioCube 14

BJK2

Hey there fellow reefers.

I have been out of the nano business for a while, since I took down my 15 gallon long 250 HQI last summer. I have kept the hobby alive with my 90 RR setup, but I am going to college next fall, and need to bring some of the reef with me :haha:

This aquarium is my graduation gift from my parents for the kid who already bought himself everything he wants considering he works 6 days a week... thinks of his sweet 91 mustang 5.0... :D

Equipment:

100 Watt Finnex Submersible Titanium Heater (from 20L reef 3 years ago, first reef)

Maxi-Jet 1200 (from Remora of 20L) Any hints on how to make this fit better??

Coralife Digital Thermometer (from 90 gallon, always constant temp in basement)

BioCube 14 (Brand new!!!)

Livestock planned:

Rock: annua (sp?) Liverock from my 90 Gallon, yah I have a 20L sump full to the brim with liverock left over from when I worked at a reef store and people would give us stuff when they took their tanks down.

Sand: Live sand argonite from 90 Gallon, have a ton in my sump from when I took the 15 down.

Fish: Not sure.. thinking percula clown and a small goby. Probably a red-headed or if I feel like splurging a yasha-hase..

Clean up Crew: (yah I spelled it out, thats what we did back 3 years ago when there were only a couple thousand members on this site...) CUC wtf is that hahaha.. anyways: few scarlet or bluelegged hermits, probably only blues, a few astreas, some cerith snails, and maybe 3 nassaurius, never really had good luck with them in the past.

Corals: Softies baby! I love them, can't beat them, always looking good and never having problems.

Xenia, zoas, mushrooms, leathers,

oh and a few LPS, as in candy canes, and maybe a frogspawn, and of course my super cool looking coral that I don't know what it is, yah that going in there. you all can let me know when you see it.

Mods? Going to make the back middle chamber into a fuge, just have to remove the vinyl, and hints on how? Will throw a small pc on it. I already have my cheato ready to go sitting in a tupperware in the 90.

Pictures:

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

More pictures to come tomorrow when I fill her up!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read this before you fill her up...make sure you do any big mods to the back BEFORE YOU FILL IT!

It's a pain trying to dremel something with a vacuum in the other hand.

edit - ....HAHAHAH i have no clue where I put my driptray :P I should find and mod that like I wanted to :(

wait.. so will the middle compartment hold water? or is merely a wet/dry area??? If it is do I have to plug the bottom outlet? Let me know asap..

If you cut off some of the plastic in the first chamber on the right then more water will flow from the first chamber to the second. You will be able to hold about an extra gallon of water and all three chambers will even out with water.

If you cut off some of the plastic in the first chamber on the right then more water will flow from the first chamber to the second. You will be able to hold about an extra gallon of water and all three chambers will even out with water.

Awsome! Thanks Bruder! that is probably NR's most informative 4th post by anyone on this site. How much should I take out? about an inch?

Oh and for anyone who is wondering? I figured out how to scrape the vinyl, basically I just went nuts and it is a tedious process. 1/2 way there!

Alright, I removed the vinyl on chamber two! I also modded the overflow from #1 to #2 with the dremel. I basically doubled the width of the overflow, I am hoping this will provide more water flow.

As for the maxi-jet 1200, It flows over 200 gph, so I am most likely going tho throw a splitter on it so that I can have two outputs at each end of the wall.

Pictures:

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Not too happy with first aquascape... any suggestions?

IMG_1809.jpg

The cheato and rubble are to go in the fuge when I buy some velcro tape tomorrow to afix the light to the middle compartment.

Looks great so far. I'm worried you might have heat issues with your fuge light--those little coralifes have no fans, velcroed on there's no airflow between tank & light.

How's tremps?

DarthFred6996

Do the BC14 3.24 lighting mod from nanotners.com for more light. I am very happy I did and it is only $80 and about and hour of your time for 33% more light.

Looks great so far. I'm worried you might have heat issues with your fuge light--those little coralifes have no fans, velcroed on there's no airflow between tank & light.

How's tremps?

temp is at a constant 81* perfect! I didn't velcro the light on, and unplugged the actinic bulb. I leaned it up against the back, it gets a good amount of light, but hopefully isn't transfering its heat.

The only thing i'd say is switch your favorite hockey team.. Blackhawks are horrible ..

Sharks fan here :o)

Although I represent them in my room, the hawks aren't my favorite. this past season from pre-season to stanely cup I have been 100% behind the ducks! I saw them whip the hawks' asses in preseason and said, those ducks r going to win the 'ship

new aquascape

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

suggestions? comments? like my $20 bag of sand? RIPOFF

Eh...I like the sand-level as is (sucks that it was $20)

The aquascape looks good depending what you plan on keeping. Keep up the good work man :)

Eh...I like the sand-level as is (sucks that it was $20)

The aquascape looks good depending what you plan on keeping. Keep up the good work man :)

Yah, I like the sand too. my plan for corals are softies like xenia, zoos, gsp, and leathers.. then some lps like candy canes and frogspawn

new aquascape

suggestions? comments?

This new scape looks much more open. You might want to move that rock on the upper left so you've got clearance for cleaning the glass and to avoid scratches. Great looking LR.

This new scape looks much more open. You might want to move that rock on the upper left so you've got clearance for cleaning the glass and to avoid scratches. Great looking LR.

Alright! sounds like a good idea, either i'll move that rock to the right, or just put it back in the 90, not sure..

ok update, cheato is growing!!! hhaaha I am so excited, my first attempt at growing it 2 years ago failed miserably, and I am already successful.

Looking great so far! Are you going to try and completely stock it before you haul it off to school, or just cycle it?

What "Institute of Higher Learning" are you heading to and what will be you major?

Looking great so far! Are you going to try and completely stock it before you haul it off to school, or just cycle it?

What "Institute of Higher Learning" are you heading to and what will be you major?

I am going to stock it with corals and a cuc but no fish. I am heading of to the university of missouri at columbia, and will be majoring in animal science (pre-vet)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well my rocks are coloring up! I have thrown some random corals in too. So far I have two xenia colonies, some red shrooms, and a lil zoa colony. I'll post pictures tomorrow, and plan on adding a ton of gsp.

ok can anyone identify this LPS??

nanoupdate7-5006.jpg

here is a FTS

nanoupdate7-5003.jpg

and here is some shrooms i am growing for bigbyrd

nanoupdate7-5007.jpg

hey...i have a gift for you...well a couple....free frag of some pinks with green centers, fire and ice, and you can pick one more of your choice when you come pick em up. B)

thanks bigbyrd. look up one post and see whose shrooms those are now... haha I have a ton growing but those are my nicest ones.

also, I sent you a pm.

nice tank! are those lps Acans?

Thanks!!

I really don't know what they are, looking for an ID on them.. If they are acans, are they worth big money?? That is by far my favorite coral I own, or have ever owned.

Archived