Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Let's see those Red Sea Max tanks

AquaticIllusions

Roy, my stock skimmer pump is really quiet, maybe yours became loose? I would take the skimmer out and check it, also make sure it is sitting on dead center.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike Savage
Mike,

My Skimmer is real loud, are you replacing the pump with an after market unit or contacting Red Sea for a replacement ? Also as stated in other threads, the Shimmer is producing little to no gunk.

Thanks,

Roy

Roy,

I have only been running the skimmer at night because of the noise. I will contact them Monday after I take this weekend to pull it out and check it real good. I used live rock/water from my 120 and so there has been little to skim but now that I added my first fish a few days ago the skimmer is producing skimmate.

Mike

Hi. I think a lot of you folks also hang out in the Reef Central forums. I just recently started a thread in there under Special Interest Groups/Nano Tanks, titled "Red Sea Max Owners Club". We had a recent post by Josh&Jana with a mesh mod he did to the skimmer pump impeller, and he's greatly improved the skimmer output. He has some pics of 2 days worth of skimmate - an amount that would take 2 weeks or more to get out of my RSM skimmer. I can't believe RSM doesn't offer some kind of upgrade to make the skimmer work better - I'd gladly pay for it if needed. Anyway - here's the link on RC (I think the mod pics are on page 3 or 4):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1145092

Terry

Mike Savage
Hi. I think a lot of you folks also hang out in the Reef Central forums.

Terry

Too true. I just can't get enough info and support and pictures of the RSM!

Mike

I just got my nanocustom 150 MH hood back yesterday. It rocks, the shimmer effect is awesome. I am really happy with it. I did only get one set of night LED's and wish I would have gotten two sets, but they said I could adjust them, right now the night light is only on half of the tank, I will play around with this some more.

Can you put some picture of ur hood with MH ?

BTW is there anyway to not *** click on every message to read them... i take so long to read by clicking every time :angry:

Hi guys thought i would just post a pic of my new tank i got today, just letting the salt set in the will start to add the rock. Just a question though i have a hydor koralia 2 powerhead and also a tunze stream 6000 with controller and magnet sitting around but not sure which one to use, i know the tunze would have to be set at the two lowest settings to pulse but which one? otherwise i will just sell the stream???????

DSC00611.jpg

the tunze 6000 is pretty much the same size deffo the same lengh side by side. Might jus sell the tunze and save up for a aquatronica.

How many people used the supplied media that came with the tank, i have cut the black sponge in half and tossed the white sponge but have used the ceramic bits and carbon?

the tunze 6000 is pretty much the same size deffo the same lengh side by side. Might jus sell the tunze and save up for a aquatronica.

How many people used the supplied media that came with the tank, i have cut the black sponge in half and tossed the white sponge but have used the ceramic bits and carbon?

Same here. Black sponge in half, tossed the white pad.

I removed also those ceramic cubes as I have a lot of LR in my tank.

Used the carbon for a while but replaced it also with chemi-pure elite

Michael

Here's mine. Retrofit 150W HQI (14K). 1 PC bulb left. Totals 205W of light, wich is more then enough!

The rest is pretty standard, except for the Hailea HC150A chiller. Pics are allready 2 months old, ill have to shoot some new ones soon. :) Everything looks very pale in this picture also. While the colours are really awesome atm. I'll post a new pic one of these days to prove it! :lol:

GreetzZ from Antwerp

post-10675-1183151261_thumb.jpg

Here also - replaced the RSM ceramic bio-media with LR rubble after a couple months, and the carbon with Chemi-Pure Elite. What I thought was strange was that when I removed that ceramic media it was about as white as when I put it in a couple months before. The only gunk I saw was a little on the bag. I have a feeling it did nothing, and that my 50lbs. of rock (fully cured when I got it) was handling all of the nitrogen cycle. I only put maybe 1-2 lbs. of LR rubble back there, and I've never had a measurable amount of ammonia in my tank since day one - and I alternate between 3 different brands of ammonia tests to be sure my results aren't wrong. I was really afraid of an ammonia spike when removing the ceramic media, but I never measured any at all, or since. Maybe I've just been lucky.

My hood fans have finally started getting louder and louder. I have a replacement fan from RSM, but haven't put it in yet. I'm tempted to call Pinky and ask her to send me another so I can replace both and not have to go back & replace the other one a week from now. Has anybody done the replacement fan upgrade? Was it a pain taking the hood apart? Did you replace one or both? I'm wondering if it's easy to identify the noisy one? Pinky said it could be either one.

Terry

Hi guys thought i would just post a pic of my new tank i got today, just letting the salt set in the will start to add the rock. Just a question though i have a hydor koralia 2 powerhead and also a tunze stream 6000 with controller and magnet sitting around but not sure which one to use, i know the tunze would have to be set at the two lowest settings to pulse but which one? otherwise i will just sell the stream???????

DSC00611.jpg

Blandy,

Is that the Silver RSM that I have heard of but never seen?

snake plissken

Hey ReefMack, I noticed you added a Hydor FLO add-on to the powerhead return in the upper left corner of your RSM. Has anybody else tried this?

I got one online for only $9 and got it installed pretty easily this weekend. the only problem is with a little vibration/noise. as was noted earlier in this topic, the first power heads had a lot of problems with vibration. but on newer models the powerheads screw on the pumps and stay tight.

unfortunatley, i removed the "screw on" part to get the Hydor FLO connected. now the powerhead vibrates and makes a rumbling noise. Were you able to fix that or are you just living with it? anybody have nay ideas how to secure the powerhead to alleviate this problem?

also, the FLO is now displacing sand at the front of my tank. no big deal...just wondering if you expeienced that as well.

Hi. I attached mine to the screw on powerhead itself. If you use the largest adapter & work on it with something like the closed end of some pliers to enlarge it just big enough to be able to get it on the powerhead, you can then screw the powerhead with the adapter on, back onto the RSM, and then attach the Hydor Flo to the adapter. Make sure you remove the powerhead first - clean it and dry it before putting the adapter on and it should stay on. That should get rid of your vibration problem too, plus you can now aim it where you want it.

snake plissken

originally i tried to connect the hydor flo to the "screw-on" part of the powerhead, but i had no luck.

i guess i need to re-visit this and try again. Since you got it to work, that gives me a little more faith!!

on another note- any good pet stores in charlotte for reefing? i used to live there but i did not have a tank at the time. me and a buddy are itching for a road trip to reef-friendly shop with a good coral selection.

snake - did you ever get the Hydor Flo on? In Charlotte we have Fintastic - the best selection of SW, but also the highest prices. There's also a Petland that has better prices, but not as many SW tanks or selection. There's also one that just opened recently - a new one called Nemo Fish - still setting up tanks but it looks like it will be a reasonable one with decent prices. Also a Petco near me with a few SW tanks, but seeing as they have large aiptasia in their invert tanks I wouldn't buy any SW critters or fish from them. And A Frank & Pegs - not a lot of SW selection the times I've been there - mostly FW. All but Petco and Frank & Pegs have corals. Fintastic has the greatest selection of corals (at high prices).

snake plissken

either you are a genius or i am an idiot...not sure which...

I used a super small flat head screwdriver to stretch out the rubber hydor adapter and pry it onto the RSM powerhead's screw-on part. It is very snug fit, which is good

I screwed the whole thing back onto the RSM powerhead and fired it up...it works great. seems like the flow may be a little less than it was without the hydor FLO, but it think the wave-making and multi-directional nature makes it worthwhile. and the vibration noise is gone

thanks for the 411 on charlotte LFS. I may have to take trip back to charlotte to check out fintastic. i was all set to drive down to mauldin,sc for my first visit to "aquarium oddities". unfortuanlety, they had a fire over the 4th of july and are closed for a few weeks. very disapointing becasue i had heard they had a great selection.

let me know about nemo fish once they get opened up!

Hi snake - the Hydor Flo may cut down the flow, just from using some of the current energy to turn the rotator, but it also spreads out the flow so hard to tell.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I looked up a few other SW lfs that are sponsors in the Charlotte reef club (RASOC) - these are not in Charlotte, but not too far and may be more convenient to you:

Coral Dynamics, Inc.

112-6 Morris Dr.

Harrisburg, NC 28075

704-517-8756

www.coraldynamics.com

Fins & Critters

1008 Gantt Street

Shelby, NC 28152

Phone: 704-484-0600

Web: www.finsreef.com

Logan's Reef

109 East Innes Street