Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Let's see those Red Sea Max tanks

AquaticIllusions

Wow, a lot of very nice RSM tanks =) I better catch up. I am in my 4th week and am very eager to get my tank stocked ... but just taking it slow. I will probably post some pics when I start adding animals to my tank.

Thanks for your advise, MAX. I will contact Picky for my issues.

Does anyone know where to buy red sea max spare parts?

Thanks,

Leo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, a lot of very nice RSM tanks =) I better catch up. I am in my 4th week and am very eager to get my tank stocked ... but just taking it slow. I will probably post some pics when I start adding animals to my tank.

Thanks for your advise, MAX. I will contact Picky for my issues.

Does anyone know where to buy red sea max spare parts?

Thanks,

Leo

Hi Leo

thanks for the compliments.

Do you have a pic of yours? Even when you are just cycling the tank it would be nice to see the aquascaping you did.

Go ahead and contact PINKY. Don't call here "picky" :lol: as you mentioned in your reply. She will glad to help you for sure and she does a great job there.

I have no idea where to get spare parts for your tank. Maybe on Ebay?

What kind of parts do you need?

Michael

t5%20small.jpg

"Ralphie" in his favourite spot

RSM should have parts I would think. I need to ask Pinky if I can get an impeller for the skimmer so I can try a mod on it.

Believe me when I say that my reason for posting wasnt as a sales peddle. Its just that misinformation propagates so quickly on the internet, that sometimes some statements need to be qualified.

I pray with all my heart that nothing will happen and have done the best I can to keep these systems and our customers safe. We are all a community here, so we are all bound by our love of these little tanks.

Lets let the discussion get back on track with some pics!!!

Chris

Chris, I looked up your product for the Red Sea Max and under the modifications there was a listing for a refugium light. Can you tell me a little more about this? IE; dimensions, lamps, and reccomended refugium size and placement. Thanks! :)

Thanks for your updates and continued pics MAXreefer, you tank is truely AWSOME.

I have about 20lbs of rock curing in an old 20g patiently awaiting the arrival of my RSM in July (at least the rocks are patient).

After losing my 90g system due to 12 ft of water in my home from Katrina (and of course no coverage from Ins Co :angry: I can't wait to get my "hands wet" again).

At any rate, what kind of power head did you ad on the right side of the tank.

I'm trying to get all my additions now while I wait for my tank.

Thanks

Thanks for your updates and continued pics MAXreefer, you tank is truely AWSOME.

I have about 20lbs of rock curing in an old 20g patiently awaiting the arrival of my RSM in July (at least the rocks are patient).

After losing my 90g system due to 12 ft of water in my home from Katrina (and of course no coverage from Ins Co :angry: I can't wait to get my "hands wet" again).

At any rate, what kind of power head did you ad on the right side of the tank.

I'm trying to get all my additions now while I wait for my tank.

Thanks

Thank you. Still a lot of work to do but I am making progress. I keep looking around here to get some ideas from amazing tanks I saw posted here.

I am happy to hear that you keep looking forward after the disaster you had down there.

I loved my RSM from day one and never regretted getting this tank. I had a friend visiting last week and he never had a saltwater tank and was a little affraid it would be to difficult to set one up. When I explained him how the RSM works and how easy it is to maintain he ordered one the next day.

I had a Seio620 on the right side for a while as you can see in my previous pictures I posted here and the pump did a great job. I was just not very happy with the looks of it as it is quite a big thing I had there in the small tank. Yesterday I went to my LFS and they had a Hydor KORALIA on sale. Below is a quick picture I took (not the best quality sorry) so you can see how it looks in the tank. If you should get one DON'T get a #3 as I did. I tried it and I am lucky my LR stayed in place...lol. I switched to a #2 and it is just great. This pump doesn't blow the water in one direction as many do but spreads it around in all directions. Also the Koralia has magnetic holders which makes it so easy to move the pump around if you want to change the flow or clean around it.

Here is a link to their website:

Koralia website

I heard also many good things about the Tunze Nanostream which works similar.

Feel free to ask!

Michael

RSM061307.jpg

Ciione,

Concerning your new lights:

Did you move any corals to a lower position in the tank to get them used to the strong lights?

Are you going to put some kind of cover over the tank just in case your fishies wanne go on a sightseeing tour and jump out? :lol:

Michael

I got it for $250 new off ebay! So I had to snag it.

You got the tank for 250? :o

If so good job!!!

Here I have a crappy fts taken while I was working out the scape in the new digs.

I'll get a better one this weekend since things have gotten a chance to settle down some.

crappyfts.jpg

I've added an additional 10lbs of rock to the reef transfered from the aquapod.

More details in my tank thread.

Max, The corals I bought were already adjusted to the MH at the LFS. I believe I just had my first fish jump out of the tank, it was a Yellow Watchman Goby. I haven't seen him since I added him to the RSM. I think maybe he jumped out and my maid flushed him down the drain. :( I still haven't questioned the maid yet. I'm hoping he'll pop up in the tank somewhere.

Ice, That's a brilliant looking tank you have there! I paid $650 for the tank & stand. The $250 was for the (Coralife 24 Inch Aqualight Pro, 1x150W HQI MH Lamp + 2x65W PC + 2x1W Lunar LED). After shipping and all it came out to $280.

Hi Leo

thanks for the compliments.

Do you have a pic of yours? Even when you are just cycling the tank it would be nice to see the aquascaping you did.

Go ahead and contact PINKY. Don't call here "picky" :lol: as you mentioned in your reply. She will glad to help you for sure and she does a great job there.

I have no idea where to get spare parts for your tank. Maybe on Ebay?

What kind of parts do you need?

Michael

Michael,

I don't have pics yet. I will take some later on. I just wish that mine could be half as nice as yours ... I will be happy =)

Definitely not "picky". haha. I did not realize I type her name wrong. PINKY is a nice person and very response. Thank you.

The parts I am looking for are mainly spare parts that could break or need to be replaced. E.g.

1) moonlight

2) T5 bulbs

3) T5 bulbs with true actinic 03 (more purple than the one we got)

4) return pumps. The intake keeps dropping off ... sigh.

5) black filter sponge

That's pretty much it ;) I rather get a spare available before anything breaks.

Leo

You can find most of the replaceable parts for the RMS here:

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/aquar...eamax_parts.htm

Thanks for the link Shiveley =)

bluesky - your comment "return pumps. The intake keeps dropping off ... sigh." Were you talking about the powerhead pumps? The PH pumps on the original RSM models had friction fit powerheads on the tank side, and RSM owners with these old types complain about not being able to stop vibrations, etc., as they can't keep the powerhead fittings on tight enough. On newer models the powerheads screw on the pumps and stay tight. I know one guy that ,unfortunately, recently got an old model RSM from his lfs, had RSM send him the upgrade pumps & PH fittings for free, but the holes drilled in his RSM are too small to let him install the new pump upgrades. RSM support told him they can't help, and he's now trying to get something done via the lfs he bought it from. If you have the friction fit powerheads, and you order replacement pumps, they may not even fit your tank if it's one of these older models.

Terry

I too have had the return pump intakes fall off, but only when I'm trying to get the pumps out. They haven't fallen off under normal usage.

Ok bluesky. I'm guessing that you meant you have the friction fit & not the newer screw on types? I was just trying to save you some money in case you buy replacement pumps & find they won't fit your RSM.

I've got some great pics I want to post. How do you guys post pics so they appear large and not the little links or thumbnails?? Thanks... pics to come soon.

How do you enter in the URL? When I go to post I see the box with the tree which is to add a photo but it says I need to enter a URL.... where?

If you post your photos to flickr or another hosting service you can link them directly using the image button when you post a reply. Just press the image button and copy/paste the URL into the dialog box. Image button looks like this:

image.gif

Nice rock you have there. :)

So on a scale from 1-10 wat would u rate it? i said i was gonna go wit the RSM a awhile back but changed my mind and am workin on another tank rite now but the idea has crossed my mind 2 pic it up. is it a all round good purchase?

For me the RSM fit perfectly for a few reasons.

The other half didn't want to have a unit with pipes and wires etc in the living room. We have a darker colored living room and right when you walk in the front door you are in the living room so we needed a very clean/sharp look. You can't beat the RSM on that side of it.

I go out of town constantly for business so if there is ever a time that she needs to shut down a powerhead or skimmer or anything she just flips open a little door and looks for the appropriate switch. It couldn't get any easier to clean the skimmer cup, etc.

I left the tank with just her feeding it for a month or so and it ran perfectly. Did I mention it looks perfect in the living room?? The stand and tank look like all one unit we couldn't find a competitor that came even somewhat close in that regard.

Also the tank is not as sqautty as the BioCube or AquaPod, which I really liked. Anyway just a few reasons...

Those reasons are similar to mine...one power cord, switches, built-in light timer, nice looking stand design with lots of room inside, plus it's 34 gallons. Not too big, not too small...easy maintenance...and looks good in a living room. :)

I would love to post a picture of mine, but first I need to get rid of the microbubbles flooding the tank from the protein skimmer. I have tried all the fixes I have read about on these forums (remove the white pad etc) and spoke to Pinky at RSM without getting the problem fixed. I would appreciate any further ideas from anyone, or if they had the same issue, did it resolve once the skimmer was broken in?

Mike Savage
So on a scale from 1-10 wat would u rate it? i said i was gonna go wit the RSM a awhile back but changed my mind and am workin on another tank rite now but the idea has crossed my mind 2 pic it up. is it a all round good purchase?

Yes it is an all around good purchase and I would buy one again. That said I would rate it an 8. My fans were noisy and I had to replace them, I am considering replacing the noisy skimmer pump next. If not for these two issues (that I consider minor) I would rate it a 9. 4-24" T5HOs and I would have rated it a 10.

Mike

Yes it is an all around good purchase and I would buy one again. That said I would rate it an 8. My fans were noisy and I had to replace them, I am considering replacing the noisy skimmer pump next. If not for these two issues (that I consider minor) I would rate it a 9. 4-24" T5HOs and I would have rated it a 10.

Mike

Mike,

My Skimmer is real loud, are you replacing the pump with an after market unit or contacting Red Sea for a replacement ? Also as stated in other threads, the Shimmer is producing little to no gunk.

Thanks,

Roy

Archived