Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Let's see those Red Sea Max tanks

AquaticIllusions

AquaticIllusions

I"m looking into getting one very soon and want to see everyones tank please if you have one post pics and your thoughts. And also if you made and mods to it

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I"m looking into getting one very soon and want to see everyones tank please if you have one post pics and your thoughts. And also if you made and mods to it

Me too, I have one on hold at the LFS, can some of the RSM owners let me know how the RSM is on noise. This has to go in the TV room and I am getting mixed signals, some saying the system is loud while others are saying no noise at all.

Thanks

I have a RSM now for about 4 months and very happy with it.

The newer RSM have more quiet fans as the ones they shipped in the beginning.

Overal I would say there is not much noise. Probably the same as having a PC running in the room. I got used to the normal fan noise also so I don't even notice the fans running anymore. I don't think there is a complete noise free system at all.

Here are some pics:

RSM04-04-11.jpg

RSM060107.jpg

RSM04-04-01.jpg

And more here:

click here

Michael

I have a red sea max as well. It is quite new ... only 1 month old and there is really nothing much to show since i m just taking it slow and cycling ...

Have anyone experienced any parts breaking? I have experienced a timer issue and also heard about a moonlight not working. If anyone can share their experience that will be great. Do you know where to find spare parts for the RSM? The 3 LFS I go to does not stock any spare parts.

I really like the tank though ... it is so gorgeous in my living room.

Bluesky:

welcome to the RSM club. Get us some pics with your progress ok?

Red Sea has a great customer service. Just go their website and contact them or call the phonenumber and ask for "Pinky". She is great and always helped me or gave me advice. As your tank is quite new I am sure they will sent you the parts for free.

land_lubber:

I have the original lighting and they are quite powerfull actually and do a great job for most corals. But I am considering the "upgrade" as I would like to keep clams and some corals who require the HQI lights.

Michael

Maxreefer for having stock lights it seems as if your lights do a great job. Your tank looks gorgeous. What type of lights do clams require?

Maxreefer for having stock lights it seems as if your lights do a great job. Your tank looks gorgeous. What type of lights do clams require?

They would require the HQI lights. There is a mod available for the RSM:

click here

I have read in a post somebody just replaced the original lights with HQ lights.

But I am not sure if that will work at the end considering the heat those lights produce.

Michael

I've transferred my reef to a RSM. See the link in my sig to my tank thread.

So far I'm very pleased. The only issue was with the power strip, but they sent a replacement for that.

IMO the stock lighting is just fine. I'm attempting a bit of SPS in the upper regions of the tank in addition to the crocea clam that I've transferred in.

The only addition I've made is an extra pump, a Hydor Koralia #2. ...this doesn't mean I'm suggesting everyone try clams and sps under the stock lights, but you might want to follow along and see how I do.

The MH is nice but would require the addition of a chiller and I have no desire to add one.

With the mostly stock set up, I've had no trouble keeping temps at a steady 80..which is actually a bit cooler than I ran in my aquapod or 15 gallon custom.

Here is my new tank, just over a month old. I have a fire shrimp, clown fish, royal gramma, fire fish, and three coral frags so far. I am going to a frag meet next week so hopefully I will pick up some more corals.

P1010240.JPG

Max, I was a bit worried about modifying my hood to a MH setup. My LFS said I shouldn't risk it because it may catch on fire. Instead I purchased a coralife 24inch 150W MH Lid. It fits on the RSM perfectly and it looks very nice. I will try to post some pics of it when I get home.

Max, I was a bit worried about modifying my hood to a MH setup. My LFS said I shouldn't risk it because it may catch on fire. Instead I purchased a coralife 24inch 150W MH Lid. It fits on the RSM perfectly and it looks very nice. I will try to post some pics of it when I get home.

Hi Ciione,

Sounds good your mod. Really curious to see it in a picture. PLEASE post one!!

As I mentioned in an earlier post I saw somebody modifying the hood with just replacing the bulbs. And I agree with you that might be really risky.

The one I really like is the mod from Nanocustoms. Those guys are really experienced and you should have a look at their site. They were also very concerned about safety and the parts they sent you seems to me very solid and safe.

The only thing that holds me back for getting this at the moment is the price.

What did you pay for the coralife hood?

Michael

Hi. Followed a link to this formum from Reef Central and I see you folks have a lot on here with RSM information.

Here's mine, just going into month 3:

Tank6_2_07r.jpg

Everything standard on the tank. The Nanocustoms light mod is out of my reach right now. Amazing how much money you can sink into a small tank in a short amount of time. Neverending spending, and when you can't think of anything else you need, all of a sudden there's that one more thing you need! :)

Hi. Followed a link to this formum from Reef Central and I see you folks have a lot on here with RSM information.

Here's mine, just going into month 3:

Tank6_2_07r.jpg

Everything standard on the tank. The Nanocustoms light mod is out of my reach right now. Amazing how much money you can sink into a small tank in a short amount of time. Neverending spending, and when you can't think of anything else you need, all of a sudden there's that one more thing you need! :)

Welcome Reefmack.

Your RSM looks really nice. Nice setup with the little caves for your fish to hide.

Seems you went a little close to the side walls and hard to clean there. Exactly like I did. Have that one little spot I can't get to clean the glass.

The light mod is not a "must" for sure. You just have to be little more carefull with the corals you buy.

Have also the little Hydor Flo on one of the outtakes. Does a really good job.

The only thing I added was an extra powerhead on the right side of the tank. It really improves the flow and your corals will love it. It is worth the money and they are really not that expensive.

Michael

RSM060107.jpg

4 1/2 months now. Please don't ask me for the balance of my savings account :tears:

Hi Michael. I got the Hydor Flo idea from you on RC. BTW I've had an sps frag (pink stylopora) up on the top of the rock for a few weeks and it's doing great so far - growing and showing signs of budding out a new branch on one side. I think the RSM lights are better than most people think.

PinkStyloporapistillata.jpg

Not the best picture of the SPS - haven't taken one since I got a new camera, but the polyps are always out and it's looking really healthy.

I have a Koralia 1 due on Tuesday for the right side of the tank. Not sure it's really needed but it can't hurt.

Yep - a bit close with the LR on the sides. I'm going to move some rock when I get the ambition! I still think the tank is great!

Terry

I have two RSMs, one received in February and one in late May. I had heard that Red Sea switched to a quieter fan, but in my case the fans were the same...I replaced both with lower RPM Sunon fans.

This reduced fan noise considerably.

I had some vibrations caused by the return pumps which radiated to the hood, but dampened those out by placing some 1/8" packing foam in between the glass mounting location and the pumps.

Bear in mind, both of my RSMs are in the same room, with hardwood floors, so any noise is pretty noticeable. Now it's just a low hum and quite acceptable.

This is out of character for me, but I have to defend my products.

First off, in any flourescent/metal halide lighting setup, there is risk of overheat/fire.

In our nanocustoms products, we have many safety features that will ensure that the risks are minimized. They are handcrafted in the USA (coralife built overseas), feature high quality ELECTRONIC Ballasts, and have faced extensive testing.

1. 2 x 50mm Cross ventilating Cooling fans

2 x 50mm Hood Exhaust Fans

2. Thermal Cutoff Switch

3. New - Fan Detect Circuitry relay switch

4. Heatshield

5. Primary UV sheild INBOARD of the canopy

6. Anodized Aluminum Lighting Fixture

I can also guarantee you that one thing that you wont be able to do with ANY other MH system. You wont be able to put your hand directly under the bulb without being burned. Thats because most companys (JBJ with thier 150 included) run with a glass that is unprotected by a splashguard. In lots of cases, these pieces of glass reach dangerously high temperatures (300F or so). With ZERO cooling on the glass, you will at the least convect more heat (you'll need a fan to blow the hot air pocket above the water line) than our systems. If you touch it, be prepared for a third degree burn.

A system doesnt leave if the splashguard temperature isnt within our proscribed specifications.

Sorry to vent here (not directed at ciione, but the dealer), but if you like an open top, fine. If the dealer just wants to sell what he stocks, fine. Just dont slander a company/method you dont have any firsthand experience with.

We've come a long way with nanocustoms and our products continue to add value, safety, and maximize performance.

Happy Reefin!

Chris

Thanks for the detailed information Chris. Sounds like Nanocustoms has all the bases covered! That's good to know when the time comes that I have the $ to make the upgrade. I really need a covered tank as it's in a family room, and I also don't want my fish to go carpet surfing.

When I get the cash, I am going to order the light mod from Nanocustoms.com. They also had a special going on a little while ago for free installation (not sure if that is still going on). The only problem I will have is finding another source of light while they have my hood. Thanks, Joe

Believe me when I say that my reason for posting wasnt as a sales peddle. Its just that misinformation propagates so quickly on the internet, that sometimes some statements need to be qualified.

I pray with all my heart that nothing will happen and have done the best I can to keep these systems and our customers safe. We are all a community here, so we are all bound by our love of these little tanks.

Lets let the discussion get back on track with some pics!!!

Chris

Hi Ciione,

Sounds good your mod. Really curious to see it in a picture. PLEASE post one!!

As I mentioned in an earlier post I saw somebody modifying the hood with just replacing the bulbs. And I agree with you that might be really risky.

The one I really like is the mod from Nanocustoms. Those guys are really experienced and you should have a look at their site. They were also very concerned about safety and the parts they sent you seems to me very solid and safe.

The only thing that holds me back for getting this at the moment is the price.

What did you pay for the coralife hood?

Michael

Hi Max,

I finally got around to taking a pic of my tank with the coralife HQI Lid. DSC00339.JPG

Tank may seem a bit messy because I just finished maintining it. I'm into my 6th week now, so I think it's time to go out and buy some SPS for it.

I got it for $250 new off ebay! So I had to snag it.

Archived