Coral Vue Hydros

MDeths BC 14

MDeth

Specs :)

14g BioCube

Target Mandarin

Randall's Goby & Randall's Pistol

3 sexy shrimp (3 disappeared)

Rio600 pump instead of stock. Cut drain from chamber 1-2. Fuge in chamber 2 above and inside chamber 1(2x10W halogen lights for waterfalls). Removed sponge out of back and put a thin layer of sand under LR rubble under cheato < (hard to follow) ?

FTS

img2000no7.jpg

Cup Coral

img2001fa1.jpg

Zoos

img2014qp4.jpg

Zoos

img2013lf1.jpg

Acan (Indo I think)

img2017iq6.jpg

T. Gigas & T. Maxima and Mushrooms

img1998jn3.jpg

I'll try to actually keep up with this, but no promises :P

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What type of lighting do you have for those clams? How long have you had them? How well are they doing?

Thanks ;)

Hahahah, no it's not on a snail! Its an aquamag - www.aqua-mags.com

http://www.3reef.com/forums/aqua-mags/show...work-39396.html

Those clams are under the 72W retro from nanocustoms. The gigas was under my g/fs 96W PC and since moving has gotten MUCH MORE color! The maxima was about 2' under 8x400W MH in a 600 g system (LFS) and looks more colorful in my tank. Both have shown growth since I've got them, ,so I'd go for it :)

Those mushies are so cool. I have to prune the colony...some are 3"+ and block light from everything. Anybody want some ?

Those zoo colonies are still trying to adjust from being under MH for so long i guess....they like to stretch halfway across my tank.

Heh, I've been patiently waiting for someone with 72 watts of PC in a BC 14 (rhymage :lol:) to keep clams sucessfully... Ok, Ima order one!!!

Thanks ;)

The most typical way to kill a clam is to provide too little light for its zooxathalae (sp) to thrive and produce its simple sugars, etc.

There is a condition call PM - pinched mantle where the clam is unable to open fully. Most of the time a freshwater dip will 'fix' this.

Other than that, make sure if you get a deresa or squamosa to remove it before you do any aquascaping. Their gills can get shredded up from all the particulate matter.

GVTV, I'd still stay away from a crocea. The maxi seems happy as well....a clam :P

I've been thinking about what FF said, and I should mount a coral to a huge tiger turbo !!

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm working on putting a system together and I'm not sure what types of things to put in my aquarium, but clams sound pretty interesting.

Please do some research though before you add clams! Most people probably want to shoot me for doing that. I'm not sure how many actually condone using PCs instead of MH for clams.

Kinda at your own risk :P I don't expect problems (which is why i did it) but I'd hate for you to have problems :(

Update....have to update my sig....I've had a pistol shrimp for EVER and forgot to add it.

Still havent seen that bastard since he was introduced....but I hear the incessant snapping (okay, it isn't THAT bad). Just today he burrowed out the left side of my tank...I think he may come out soon!

Ummmm.....I got a MANDARIN !!!!!

My LFS has apparently had this guy since last shipment but was hiding. He was with a small maroon clownfish in a small specimen container and I guess learned to eat from him.

HE EATS MYSIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hes a target, with vivid orange coloration.

I'll get pics as soon as I can get my g/fs camera. He's dripping atm :)

Looks awsome MDeth! This thing is on the way to becoming amazing. I am someone who supports PCs over Metal Halides for nanos. I didn't know anyone else did?

I just got a biocbue 14 tonight, can't wait to get it going and looking like yours. Also, Mokena? where is that by? I am in the western burbs, and go to lombard / westchester for my goods. Where do you go?

Mokena is by Frankfort, New Lenox, Manhattan etc. About 10miles W (i think) from Orland if that helps.

www.aquaticenvironments.com <- My new favorite place.

I also occasionally go to living sea although its WAY expensive.

DarkLordCoralCompany is also amazing! Mike and Liz rule :P

As for PCs over MH...at this point I still haven't got a chiller (on the list) and have spent WAY to much in coral instead of saving up for anything (like a new bass guitar :P)

Did you just grad this year? Congrats, and trust me...it doesnt get better (im 19)

Hopefully my mandarin looks better tomorrow. ATM hes kinda pale, and burying himself in the sand. < I know this is natural for alot of fish so no worries...but he seems so stressed. Poor fish :'( I just wanted him in my tank is all

Mokena is by Frankfort, New Lenox, Manhattan etc. About 10miles W (i think) from Orland if that helps.

www.aquaticenvironments.com <- My new favorite place.

I also occasionally go to living sea although its WAY expensive.

DarkLordCoralCompany is also amazing! Mike and Liz rule :P

As for PCs over MH...at this point I still haven't got a chiller (on the list) and have spent WAY to much in coral instead of saving up for anything (like a new bass guitar :P)

Did you just grad this year? Congrats, and trust me...it doesnt get better (im 19)

Hopefully my mandarin looks better tomorrow. ATM hes kinda pale, and burying himself in the sand. < I know this is natural for alot of fish so no worries...but he seems so stressed. Poor fish :'( I just wanted him in my tank is all

Yah, I graduate Sunday. WOOOOT hahah, I figure the next 7 years at college are going to be awsome.

What are ya goin for? After 2 semesters at DeVry I decided to say screw that...and do Marine Biology at Coastal Carolina (SC). So...its off to JJC for about a year, then CC here I come!

btw, gimme a link to pics of your tank(s)

I am going to vetschool at University of Missouri.

Link: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122341

I don't have any pictures of my 90 on the web, I'll have to take some. Easiest tank to take care of, seldom water changes, just add top off, and let it run. This new tank will get weekly waterchanges.

good luck at Carolina, I go to the beach in NC every year, it is amazing along that coast!

None yet. I'm not sure if i'm going to use it or some eggcrate...or if i'm going to move my fuge.

ATM the fuge is the 1st chamber (why I don't know..) and I was thinking of using eggcrate or the dripplate over the 2nd (lr rubble)

Darklordcoral.com is amazing

Mike and Liz are some of the nicest people you will meet.

They also have an amazing 500g display tank. They are true hobiyst not your typical LFS

Everytime I go its like am child in candy store haha

Nice tank

Hector

When I was at DLC this past Sunday, I got a 2 head Duncan frag :)

I'll have to get pics up, but can somebody say PINK ZOOS? I have 6 frags now of true pink colors :)

My sexy shrimp all seem friskier than usual. Maybe I'll have a batch of eggs (food) for the tank soon :P

yankeereefer

shoulda gave me a holla, mdeth - Coulda come by to see the mantis'

Let me know next time you're up this way!

YR

Hehe, shoulda but it was late in the day. Was at Rt-66 in the morning and was BEAT. Just wanted to get a duncan and call it a day :)

Oh...and my g/f has this fear of people.... The first time 'we' went to DLC, she stayed in the car because she thought we were going to be Texas Chainsaw Massacred or something...

I might swing by DLC this coming week sometime to pick up some Duncans for my LFS :)

Yankee, PM me your # i'll give you a call if im doing anything crazy...might go up to Fry's Electronics soon too.

Archived