oohnoo

My MiniReef

oohnoo

HiHo

I have a 15gal minireef that I started in March of this year. It's a skimmerless system as I have built a refugium for it. The amount of life in it is amazing. It currently has a 3"dsb with about 20lbs assorted live rock in it. Lighting is two 55watt Compacts from AHSupply and 2 minijets for circulation There is a beautiful Hammer Coral, assorted mushrooms, umbrella zena, star polyps, bubble coral. Assortment of hermits and snails which are constantly laying eggs. I think there are baby snails all over the glass but I'm not sure as I don't know what they should look like. In the refugium there is 2" Southdown sand followed by 2 more inches of live sand. Also about 3lbs LR. I added some grape caulerpa and also razor which is really starting to take off. For lighting the refugium I just use a Jali strip light with a 13watt compact.

here's some pics. I'll have to update them as I relandscaped a little.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/48D08E179E36AA5

Christopher Marks

Your tank looks great Robert!  You should be very proud.  Also a cool refugium btw.  May I make a page about your nano with a description and link to your photos to place on the site?  Let me know what you think.

oohnoo

Definitely. I’ll try and update some of the pics

Christopher Marks

It's all finished Robert.  You can see it at: http://www.nano-reef.com/robertnano.htm .  I hope you like it, and please let me know if something in the description needs to be fixed.

oohnoo

HiHo

Hey that looks great. You do a wonderful job. I have to take some more recent pics. If I wanted to add pics do I just e-mail them to you?

Christopher Marks

Sure, or just post them where you have been, since there is a link to it.  Whatever you like.

rhinoivory

Does the Caulerpa Racemosa help keep the nuisance algae under control or is it just a myth?

mr9iron

Thats a nice nano oohnoo. Also I love your refugium, mabey you should consider selling them.

oohnoo

The caulerpa in the refugiun is doing an execlent job. It has grown to twice it's volume. As A matter of fact I have to start trimming it. And yes I believe it keep the nusance algae away cause I don't have any.

Thank mt8iron I lot of people have asked me to build them. I just wish I had the time to do that for everybody but summer is here and there are just too many house projects going on. Maybe latter on.

rhinoivory

I am thinking of adding some to my nano within the display area. I heard trimming a Caulerpa is not as daunting as removing hair algae and is not as grotesque, rather ornamental in fact. I will only add the Caulerpa if I encounter a large hair algae spike, there is no use otherwise.

Metznreef

i really like your tank. i have one similar to it, 15gal with 2*55watt pc's. but i have a prizm skimmer and no refugium. could you possibly give me some advice on how to make a canopy like yours? i am only 13 and not would you would call a "do it your selfer" yet. thanks.