Coral Vue Hydros

My MiniReef

oohnoo

HiHo

I have a 15gal minireef that I started in March of this year. It's a skimmerless system as I have built a refugium for it. The amount of life in it is amazing. It currently has a 3"dsb with about 20lbs assorted live rock in it. Lighting is two 55watt Compacts from AHSupply and 2 minijets for circulation There is a beautiful Hammer Coral, assorted mushrooms, umbrella zena, star polyps, bubble coral. Assortment of hermits and snails which are constantly laying eggs. I think there are baby snails all over the glass but I'm not sure as I don't know what they should look like. In the refugium there is 2" Southdown sand followed by 2 more inches of live sand. Also about 3lbs LR. I added some grape caulerpa and also razor which is really starting to take off. For lighting the refugium I just use a Jali strip light with a 13watt compact.

here's some pics. I'll have to update them as I relandscaped a little.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/48D08E179E36AA5

Christopher Marks

Your tank looks great Robert!  You should be very proud.  Also a cool refugium btw.  May I make a page about your nano with a description and link to your photos to place on the site?  Let me know what you think.

HiHo

Hey that looks great. You do a wonderful job. I have to take some more recent pics. If I wanted to add pics do I just e-mail them to you?

• 3 weeks later...

The caulerpa in the refugiun is doing an execlent job. It has grown to twice it's volume. As A matter of fact I have to start trimming it. And yes I believe it keep the nusance algae away cause I don't have any.

Thank mt8iron I lot of people have asked me to build them. I just wish I had the time to do that for everybody but summer is here and there are just too many house projects going on. Maybe latter on.

I am thinking of adding some to my nano within the display area. I heard trimming a Caulerpa is not as daunting as removing hair algae and is not as grotesque, rather ornamental in fact. I will only add the Caulerpa if I encounter a large hair algae spike, there is no use otherwise.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i really like your tank. i have one similar to it, 15gal with 2*55watt pc's. but i have a prizm skimmer and no refugium. could you possibly give me some advice on how to make a canopy like yours? i am only 13 and not would you would call a "do it your selfer" yet. thanks.

Archived