ReefCleaners.org

My Tank

Ana

I have a 5gal Eclipse that I started Sept 6 ,01. I have crush coral ,2lbs of live rock, a bleached coral and a seashell shape airstone.I let it run about a week empty and them I put in a Green Mandarine Goby and a Green Damsel and a Clownfish. Ammonia,ph,Nirite and Nirate are at 0.I have had some spikes but they went down the next day.So far it is great . I am going to be starting a 20gal long soon .I hope it goes as well as this one did.

Hi Ana

Sounds great, except that I would reconsider the Manderin..........they require a very large, established habitat with many amiphods and copepods to munch on.   Maybe try doing a search on some of the other bulletin boards on the web, and see what other information they have.

Thanks,

ktmk

Hi Ktmk,

I have looked everywhere ,and all say the same thing you do .But yu have a 11 year old who fell in love with it  . I have to say it is doing great.We went and bought another 3lbs of live rock, and it is eating tiny things of it. He also loves brine shrimp and Seaweed Selects Marine Algae. We see him eat all the time .He is so funny how he goes so slow to catch his little shrimp .I am getting started on a 20gal long for them. I have another 10lbs of live rock to pick up, so I can get the bio going.

So hopefully  he will have a bigger place to live in.

Ana

If you want some good info go into general discussion and find the post  "Mandarin Dragonets" that I started.  They will convince you reconsider it.  The best point they made was that you (or your eleven year old) do not want to watch it get skinny and starve to death.

Hi

Reconsider to bring him back to Petco . I will not ! It be a sure death for him. They had 2 of them when I bought mine 9/12/01 and the other one died 2  days later. At least mine is eating .I see him eat . Just maybe in a smaller tank he has a better chance to get his food . He eats about 10 brine shrimps a day and I see him eat . Just maybe he will be the exception to the rule.I take pride in all my animals . I have over 200 birds ,4 Goldfish tanks with 4 completely blind ones that are getting bigger so that means that they are eating .I'll buy a goldfish when nobody else will so he would get a chance to live I make sure they get the best care . So I have read your posts and I still think he be better off with me.

Ana

I apologize if I razzled you ana.  Some will do just fine eating shrimp. it is just that mostly they don't do well in small tanks.  But best of luck to you.

what are you doing with all those animals?

Do you breed them?

The Bad Dog,

Apology accepted. I have a Petco by me that is very good with there fish, but some just don't make it.I have been there on delivery day and alot of them arrive dead.So if some look bad. but still breathing. I buy them and fix them.The birds I use to breed them and now I rescue unwanted birds and find them new homes .

Ana I knwo its tempting to rescue sick fish from the lfs but it is not a very smart thing to do. First if you are not quaritining these fish when you get them you will introduce disease to the other fish you have. Second you are supporting these horrible business and help them buy and kill more livestock. I think you should consider these things before you buy another sick fish.

Hi,

Do you think little old me is supporting their bussines by buying sick fishes?You would have to boycott the whole pet trade legal and illegal world wide for that to happen.I don't see that happening in this life time or the next.

I don't and can't buy all the sick fishes .I try to save mostly  goldfishes and if I did not do that I would not have my beautiful 5in fantails or my loinheads. I have hospital tanks for the sick fish.I know about quarantine .I have to do that with  the birds that I bring in.

200 birds! man im never driving my car near your house! anyways good to hear yours is eating, ive got a scooter blennie and he doesnt seem that interested in brine shrimp or frozen food...I just hope he's eating something.

ana if you won't take it back to petco then try to contact a local reefer in your area to take you mandrin....in a 100+ gallon tank.  i wouldn't bet on it living but you never know.

later

Lunchbucket

Hi Ana I agree with everyone else on this, If you really want to save it then give it to a local reefer. I work at the Lfs and I won't sell you one unless you have at least a 60gal with 80+lbs of Liverock, Plus I have noticed they tend to be somewhat agressive with the other fish in the store. If you keep it, it will die.

I did get in touch with a local reefer and he came to see the mandarin he said he was doing great better than his.He has one in a 120gal and he is skinny he won't eat brine shrimp for him.My is eating ,he saw him eat .He told me when the mandarin does not move and he is a coner of a tank not interested on food is when you have to worry.Mine is swimming around getting the shrimp, eating his rock.I have been talking to other people and they say that if he was not eating or doing well he would have been dead by now.

ana i had a mandern for me it never ate much shrimp or

flake food mostly pods and other little critters in tank

lucky you to find one that will

8P

take it eazy ppl it is known to happen 8=)

i lost mine when i put a cleanner wrasse in and all it did

was try to clean it poor baby just hide and refused to eat

died couple of days after i put the wrasse in

en joy your little beauty 8)

I know guys lay off her...she obviously isnt planning on giving it up, so let her give it a try... Ive screwed up worse things in my life than killing a mandarin goby for sure...

• 4 weeks later...

if it is fat and alive GREAT!  that would be a dang cool little fish to have in a 10gal.  wish they would be a gauranteed eater so i could have one.  i have a TON of pods but no where near what that little guy would need.

thanks for the update.  get some pics!!

thanks

Lunchbucket

Right now he is in by himself in the 5gal with 6lbs of live rock, live sand .He loves his brine shrimps that he get 4 times a day.I have a 20gal long started about 30 days ago. I have the Clowns and Damsels in there but I am not putting him in just yet.

i would watch it w/ a damsel.  damsels are little bastards and i am sure it would pick on the madrine.  i wouldn't put him in there w/ a damsel

later

Lunchbucket

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I was just given a chocolate chip starfish he is about 1-1/2in. Will he do better with the Mandarin and the live rocks in the 5gal ,or in the 20gal long with no live rock,  3 damsels , 2 clowns and 1 Strawberry Pseudochromis.I was told  that he eats meaty food and algae .

Archived