ReefCleaners.org

flatworms on my frogspawn!

alexmurovec

alexmurovec

my frogspawn, since adding to my tank, has had these little worms on them, and after some research, i identified them as flatworms. so far, i have heard of 2 possible cures: a 10 second freshwater dip, where the water/ph are the same temp/ppm...and...put the spawn in a seperate container of tank water and suction the flatworms off of the creature.

does anyone else have any more suggestions? they seem to be getting worse!

heres a picture...

IMG_3024.jpg

All that is good target removal, but if they've established themselves in yur system, you'll be fighting them constantly. I've got em too. I try and blow off and siphon as many as I can when I do a WC.

If you're feeling brave there's Salifert Flatworm Exit.

Read up on it before you try it, it takes some finesse to do it right.

alexmurovec
All that is good target removal, but if they've established themselves in yur system, you'll be fighting them constantly. I've got em too. I try and blow off and siphon as many as I can when I do a WC.

If you're feeling brave there's Salifert Flatworm Exit.

Read up on it before you try it, it takes some finesse to do it right.

the coral went in almost 2 weeks ago, so i guess my tank is already infested, which sucks. i only see them on my frogspawn, and there is one on the glass and has bee in the same position for a week. i'm going to do a freshwater dip tomorrow when i do a water change. right now i syphon with like a 1" round tube, so maybe i should get something thinner, the 1" takes out 5g in about 20 seconds :lol:

alexmurovec
What are they shaped like? A pumpkin, three "tails" or 2.

they have 2 tails, with a whitish stripe down the middle of the pinkish body. its kind of like a bubbled hourglass shape.

seahorsedreams

planaria.jpg

or

942305f5.jpg

or

pod1.jpg

or none of the above... there is one that I don't have a pic of.

I had a massive flatworm problem at one time and the only way i got rid of them was with the flatworm exit. But this would be my last resort. If you do use this be very sure to follow the directions (to the tee). My tank suffered no ill effects with it but be careful! Be sure to get as many of the flatworms out as possible before and after treatment. The flatworms when dead produce a toxic chemical that will cause problems. After the treatment be sure to do a water change and run some carbon. Good luck.

alexmurovec
planaria.jpg

or

942305f5.jpg

or

pod1.jpg

or none of the above... there is one that I don't have a pic of.

they dont really look like any of those, the tails are less defined, and they are more pinkish in color, with a whitish line going down them.

I had a massive flatworm problem at one time and the only way i got rid of them was with the flatworm exit. But this would be my last resort. If you do use this be very sure to follow the directions (to the tee). My tank suffered no ill effects with it but be careful! Be sure to get as many of the flatworms out as possible before and after treatment. The flatworms when dead produce a toxic chemical that will cause problems. After the treatment be sure to do a water change and run some carbon. Good luck.

i am running carbon right now, but that shouldn't really matter. i'm going to try the freshwater dip i think, because then the worms should fall off and just be gathered in the freshwater. i have read that the flatworm exit should be a last resort, so i'll definetly keep that in mind. thanks for the help.

seahorsedreams

Definately don't start medicating until you know what they are . The 3 above are those most commonly found.

The other is the Waminoa sp. You can read about it HERE.

Other than those it's not going to be your average acoel flatworm you hear everyone talking about.

not to hijack, but I have 100's of the ones in the 2nd pic shown above. if I need to get rid of them should I do so now? (only thing in the tank is a cuc and a few hitchhikers)

alexmurovec
Definately don't start medicating until you know what they are . The 3 above are those most commonly found.

The other is the Waminoa sp. You can read about it HERE.

Other than those it's not going to be your average acoel flatworm you hear everyone talking about.

they look like those, still harmful?

seahorsedreams
not to hijack, but I have 100's of the ones in the 2nd pic shown above. if I need to get rid of them should I do so now? (only thing in the tank is a cuc and a few hitchhikers)

I wouldn't bother with them. They just kind of stay on the glass and around the waterline. I have them in 3 of my tanks and never made asny effort to remove them.

they look like those, still harmful?

Ya, I consider those th emore harmful ones. They really tend to smother the coral depriving them of light and flow. And are very difficult to siphon off. I've never actually had your variety.

ok. when I clean my glass with the mag-float, they seem to get stuck in the 'scratcher' and I pull it out and wash it in HOT water in the sink, hopefully washing/cooking them.

I wouldn't bother with them. They just kind of stay on the glass and around the waterline. I have them in 3 of my tanks and never made asny effort to remove them.
alexmurovec

Ya, I consider those th emore harmful ones. They really tend to smother the coral depriving them of light and flow. And are very difficult to siphon off. I've never actually had your variety.

darn, well i guess theres nothing i can do. i tried to target feed it yesterday, but no tentacles came out. i'll try the freshwater dip tonight, we'll see how that goes.

seahorsedreams

A FW dip should take care of some of the flatworms... I don't have any experience with FW dipping corals, I'm afraid.

alexmurovec
A FW dip should take care of some of the flatworms... I don't have any experience with FW dipping corals, I'm afraid.

:o you just made me more scared too

lil'wrasse cool

how did the dip go? I also never here of diping corals hope it ent well. did you ever find the type of worm? is this it?

IMG_1287.jpg

SeeDemTails

Dont dip the coral. They will be on it as soon as you put it back in the tank. They are all over your tank.

The only way to eradicate them is to syphon as many as you can see out of the tank, and the use flatworm exit....use it at your own risk...I would just manually remove them and let them run thir cycle. They will be gone in 4 months or so naturally. They make a great addition to you CUC while you have them though beleive it or not!

The little orange one do no harm to your corals.

alexmurovec

i have not done the dip yet, so i dont know the outcome. seems like no one is a fan of the freshwater dip. so i dont think i'm going to do that anymore. i'm going to get a mini turkey baster and i will try to get as many off as i can. i'm going to do it tonight, so i'll let you guys know how it went.

seedemtrails: even though i cannot see one or two of them on my glass, are you sure that they are all over my tank, and not just on my frogspawn? also, how do they naturally die off in a couple months?

how did the dip go? I also never here of diping corals hope it ent well. did you ever find the type of worm? is this it?

IMG_1287.jpg

i haven't done the dip yet, but i was planning on it after school. now it turns out i'm not going to do the dip, because it wont work, but who knows, maybe i'll change my mind again. anyways, they do not look like that worm in your picture.

alexmurovec

does anyone know why my frogspawn tenticles are stretching a bunch causing them to turn white at the base of where it is stretching?

heres a picture

IMG_3026.jpg

SeeDemTails

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

As for the frogspawn, considering your tank is new, I would check your params and stop messing with it, the flatworms wont hurt it.

And yes, they are all over you tank, they just live in groups on certain rocks, but if you see one, you have them everywhere. Get on vaccuming them out, that is the best way to get rid of them, and a great excuse to do water changes in you NEW tank!

alexmurovec
http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

As for the frogspawn, considering your tank is new, I would check your params and stop messing with it, the flatworms wont hurt it.

And yes, they are all over you tank, they just live in groups on certain rocks, but if you see one, you have them everywhere. Get on vaccuming them out, that is the best way to get rid of them, and a great excuse to do water changes in you NEW tank!

i'm going to test my params tonight and also do a water change. do you have any idea what the stretched tenticles could be from?

Atlantis Reef

I used flatworm exit by salifert, And killed the orange ones and no losses worked like a charm

Archived