Top Shelf Aquatics

Water, again...

Nag

Hello all. I'm in the very early planning stages of trying my hand at a nano reef (probably 10g, maybe 5.)

I'm really reluctant to have to get some kind of water treatment unit, or buy water, for such a small tank but I know there are some strong opinions on tap water.

So, I was wondering if there were some tests I could do on my tap water to determine how bad it would be. I know the pH (7.6), nitrates read 0 although I plan to retest with a new kit since I think this one's kerflooey... if I tested for phosphates and maybe metals (iron?) would those be the important things? And, supposing I filtered it over carbon or something, would that help?

I'm sure you can tell, I would like to use tap water. Should I not even consider this in light of having enough to deal with being a newbie at this (I've been doing freshwater for 20 years on and off)? Thanks for any input, advice, lectures...

I think the one problem which occurs with tap water is the fact that the water company doesnt have to inform you if they add anything to the water. And again just things like you've mention phosphates and stuff which might cause algae blooms.. besides that I cant really think of anything.. perhaps someone else may know of something else

Well I can pretty much ask the water company if there's a particular concern. They did switch from chloramine back to chlorine this summer, which was great (incidentally one of the reasons listed was that this made things a little easier for people with aquariums -- I thought that was nice :))

The water is supposedly moderately hard. I have a water hardness test which says about 150 ppm, which would be DH around 8.4 (I think). I'm wondering if I need to use water with a more neutral pH, or with less hardness.

I'm doubtful I have a phosphate problem because I don't have algae problems in the freshwater tanks unless nitrates are high. I should test for that, though.

I'm trying to get an idea of what's considered the worst thing about tapwater to see if I would have a problem there.

Thanks

I like the concept of working with a clean slate everytime

I buy Reverse-Osmosis water and add in the salt and Elements(I know some are of the skool of thought that the salt adds all you need, but that's going to be based on the brand of salt. My corals seems ok so far and I got the Kent Collection)

I would never use tap water, I don't even use tap water to raise brine shrimp to feed to my tank on the grounds that it might pollute the tank.

So, It's better to be anal and spend a few cents then not be anal and crash the tank.

Son Of Skyline

The good thing about having a small tank is that a water purifier can last you alot longer than if you had a larger tank! I'd just buy a decent, inexpensive DI filter. A single cartridge should last you awhile, as you're not dealing with tons of water volume.

Archived