Innovative Marine Aquariums

New 5.5 Gallon Nano-Reef

Detailman

I bought a 5.5 gallon acrylic tank (18x8x9) with a beautiful oak stand and canopy (it was built as a demo for a company that makes aquarium furniture), and looks just like a "real" 50-120 gallon set up (except for the diminutive size).  

I plan to have a refugium built (hopefully by Atlantica Aquariums) and plan to light the tank with power compacts (hopefully also with the help of Atlantica Aquariums).  

I plan to use live rock and live sand, no skimmer, weekly water changes, etc.  

I plan to keep a cleaning crew (5 or so hermits, 1 turbo snail, 5 smaller snails, and perhaps a cleaner shrimp), a nice mix of beginners corals and a small pair of Amph. Osc. Clownfish in it.  

Please give me any advice regarding:

1. Exact wattage and color mix of lighting you would recommend?;

2.  Does the proposed cleaner crew seem adequate/correct for the tank size?

3. Corals that can live together without waging chemical warfare and that are hardy and good for a beginner?;

4.  Are there any good red sponges for a nano-reef that you can recommend?

5. What is the most important thing to watch out for in setting up/running a nano-reef?

6.  What is the best single piece of advice you can give a newbie nano-reefer (Aside from doing your homework in advance/getting good books and reading them)??

7.  Anything else you deem important for me to know.

:bounce:

mmm... well since it seems no one likes you.. J/K!!

here we go.

>1. "exact wattage" i would make a note to yourself to never say that again.hehe. i am not sure but i think you are asking how many watts of light to put on 5.5gal...i would put as much as you can.clarify with Chris on that one.  Color mix...i am not good a colors cause i am a guy but i like a 2 to 1 blue to white ratio, but that is hard to do on a small tank, so you will probably end up with a 1 to 1 in the end.

>2.Sounds very nice to me, except you might want to cut down to maybe on small snails and hermits. they might starve to death from lack of food. but it sounds great. specify on what kind of snails and hermits.

>3. good old chemical warfare...weee...mushrooms, polyps,and them when you get bored of those, maybe a leather or a hammer coral.

>4. i have no experience with sponges. haven't had the time. sorry.

>5.gee...your parameters  guess. yes, watch you parameters and your livestock.

>6.dont rush!!!

>7.Read the articles by Chris. great stuff for you to know if you haven't read them already.

wow, i am going to get a glass of orange juice i am tired.HTH!!

-Steve

corrado vasquez

Hi Steve, OK I love giving advice,so here it goes.Lighting get the CSL 36 watt sealite,its perfect for the 5.5 gal.Cut back on the snails/hermits.I suggest 2 Trochus,4 ceriths or 5-6 nassarious,and no more than 2 hermits,perhaps one emerald.Dont get the shrimp.As for fish either a percula clown or orchid dottyback would be nice.Dont be afraid to try a few lps ,polyps and leather/soft corals.7 lbs of fiji rock and 2-3" oolitic sand.You may want to JUST do 1 gal water changes a week and forget all the other additives,this might be easier.instead of an ugly powerhead for water movement get the Tetra brand mini whisper outside filter with no media.($10 at K-Mart).Just get the Slaifert test kit for Ca, and the fasttest kit for alk ,and test once a week to see where your at and where you are heading and adjust along the way.Use good distilled deionized water.AND keep the tank covered as best you can.Youll never have to add fresh water to evaporation ! Hows that for advice!

Archived