inTank Media Baskets

Finding Xanadu

fraggle rockette

Actually it is this weekend more than likely, I gotta be out by the 18th, so the 19th probably wouldn't work, lol! But yeah, thanks for the offer though! I already moved my RO/DI over, it was the first thing in the new place, haha!! Now I don't have fresh water for the tank until next weekend, I totally didn't think that one through, oh wells... :slap:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the starfish makes me jealous, but I'd fear for my tank's life having one that size... =X That's really a very nice star though!!

modularduck

Olivia Newton John is my hero.....YEY! for the new tank FR. maybe the reef gods smile upon you more than they already have...

Beautiful tank Fraggle! Very natural and great color and layout. I read through your thread. Very impressive! You are very wise and can I say odd ;) In the best way possible!

Your pictures are nice too. I can't seem to master that one. I like your picture of the topside of the star with the clown, Sharky I presume, in frame. You are going to have a run for your money tho, I'll have to see it side by side with the pic of the blue star. I love that one too.

How many pounds of rock do you have in tank/in filtration. I may have to ask your assistance on filtration later.

Great stuff!

fraggle rockette
Yes, the starfish makes me jealous, but I'd fear for my tank's life having one that size... =X That's really a very nice star though!!

he's only like 2.5 inches... not so big. u think he'd cause a crash? i worry about him b/c every other day mid-day he gets weird dark orange spots, but then they disappear, so... eh.

Beautiful tank Fraggle! Very natural and great color and layout. I read through your thread. Very impressive! You are very wise and can I say odd ;) In the best way possible!

Your pictures are nice too. I can't seem to master that one. I like your picture of the topside of the star with the clown, Sharky I presume, in frame. You are going to have a run for your money tho, I'll have to see it side by side with the pic of the blue star. I love that one too.

How many pounds of rock do you have in tank/in filtration. I may have to ask your assistance on filtration later.

Great stuff!

that i am. ;)

i think i like that pic enough to enter it as well, even tho Babs, my other fishy, is a little blurred. as for rock, i think i have a little over 25 lbs in there, most of it really pourous, but i've never weighed it- lol.

thanks! :D

fraggle rockette
clowns look fake.

:angry: sharky wants your address... he says to tell you he's coming to your house to smack you in the face with his cute little tail. :ninja:

:angry: sharky wants your address... he says to tell you he's coming to your house to smack you in the face with his cute little tail. :ninja:

I'll offer mine up, I swear mine mated with a pit bull, ahahaha!!!

What I meant about your starfish was I'd worry for the tank and it possibly eating things it shouldn't, not for it's own health though. I doubt it would make the tank crash, but I have heard that stars are VERY brittle once they pass on, so removing it whole is nearimpossible... I don't know too much about stars though to advise you either way... =/ I just know I've seen some wicked cool ones on the pier pilings in Monterey, lol! :P Too bad they are subtropical cold water variety...

fraggle rockette

no, i'm pretty sure linkias dont do that and are fairly reef safe, according to most things i've read... tho i think he tried to eat a snail yesterday- lol. the snail had his shell on and was against the glass and the starfish was trying to feel all under it and the snail was like, wtf? haha. i get him to eat with pumps off, but he hasn't messed with anything he shouldnt. as long as it isnt a choco chip SF (or crown of thorns), i think most reefs are safe. :D

lol, good to know then. Only stars I have are micro brittle stars, but they are so small and all white so you're lucky to ever see one in the tank, but sometimes they climb onto the glass.

Wow go away for a few days and the whole world changed. ;)

I want a starfish like that for my tank. Only a 14g though so it would grow to big I think.

fraggle rockette
Wow go away for a few days and the whole world changed. ;)

I want a starfish like that for my tank. Only a 14g though so it would grow to big I think.

yeah technically i shouldnt have him- they can only really be satisfied by larger more established tanks, but i somehow manage to target feed him a few times a week and the rest he scavenges, so hopefully he's doing okay (after all, his leg is growing out so that's a good sign right?) but i wouldnt recommend one for that small of a tank.

YOWZA! it was hot today- i freaked out after lunch b/c i haven't moved my chiller and when i got home tonite the tank was at 81/82 and i live on a breezy hill!!!... it's gonna be a long summer that's for sure. :huh:

I've been lurking on this thread & its predecessor since you started it (them). Thought I'd chime in to say your tank is gorgeous! Super 'scaping. And great pics as well.

--Diane

fraggle rockette

moving the chiller over today- should've done it a long time ago too. agh. this thing smells up to high heaven. i guess that's what stagnant water, algae, and darkness do in an enclosure in about a month or so. gross.

gave up on trying to rinse out my pvc vinyl tubing and ran down to the home depot to get some more. that store drives me crazy- i generally know where things are, but couldnt find the flexible pvc. they were like, "we don't have that." now i KNOW they do, i just didn't know where to find it. after giving several descriptions as well as examples on what it could be used on, i finally convinced them they had it and we found it near water heaters. you know, Lowes puts all the plumbing in the same place. bleh. too bad that they're 10 miles further away. (i'm not complaining- HD is 1.5 miles :D - i live there)

anywho, if we hit over 90 again today, i should be ready, save any issues with stagnace in the chiller unit. i've been flushing it for the last 5 minutes and will for 5 more or so, change the pvc, and then flush it with SW.

***QUESTION: i have an extra bulkhead drilled into my back wall/2nd chamber that i was going to add an additional pump to but as of yet have not. does anyone see any issues with me using that as the chiller output? is it going to blast cold and hurt stuff, or should it be okay? (pump would be in chamber 4 with regular pump)

thanks!

dtfleming

Home depot can be a pain. I wouldn't worry about your star, most linkas do fine in reef tanks. I have a sand sifting star in my 10gal. I love him. him hang's out in the sand and sometimes onto the glass.

I love your tank, I was trying to get my rics into a "waterfall" too but they decided to move the sand instead.

nanotrigger

where is a good place to buy a chiller?

temple city... anytime... my KOIs would kick his plastic ass. haha. :P:wub::happy:

I don't see why not on the return of the chiller through that bulkhead... I mean it might actually chiller faster and more efficiently that way. Just be sure the water isn't too cool coming out, it shouldn't be though. Maybe 1-2 degrees cooler than the intake water. I was just at HD last night (didn't realize there was one in Alhambra, always went to El Monte's on Lower Azusa lol!) to pick up a GFCI in-wall outlet, and a couple plumbing items for my RO/DI to install it in the new apartment. HD is always a zoo, I like Lowes but don't know of one near us. I almost live at HD too, lol! :P I was gonna comment to you on your love for HD, but I'll just beat myself over the head with my own arm for you. ;)

fraggle rockette
where is a good place to buy a chiller?

temple city... anytime... my KOIs would kick his plastic ass. haha. :P:wub::happy:

i got mine at vivid aquariums in the sfv, but i'd price check online... the only reason i did it that way was b/c i needed it the weekend i got it (our first heat wave back in feb. or march i think) and i knew they'd help me set it up. :happy: aw and sharky's ass isn't plastic :( he paid good $ for that silicone prosthetic and his feelings are hurt, and angered, and... hurt. :P

I don't see why not on the return of the chiller through that bulkhead... I mean it might actually chiller faster and more efficiently that way. Just be sure the water isn't too cool coming out, it shouldn't be though. Maybe 1-2 degrees cooler than the intake water. I was just at HD last night (didn't realize there was one in Alhambra, always went to El Monte's on Lower Azusa lol!) to pick up a GFCI in-wall outlet, and a couple plumbing items for my RO/DI to install it in the new apartment. HD is always a zoo, I like Lowes but don't know of one near us. I almost live at HD too, lol! :P I was gonna comment to you on your love for HD, but I'll just beat myself over the head with my own arm for you. ;)

haha you learn quickly grasshopper! ;)

i was thinking about working at the one near me (on fig.) until i find a job but my roommate thinks it's a bad idea and eventually would make me crazy... prolly right. eh. i'd be their best employee- i know the store (for the most part) better than the employees, but... i'd buy too much stuff anywho- lol.

fraggle rockette

does anyone know anything about flushing a chiller?

i initially flushed it with tap water and now am doing salt. how many changes/gallons should i do? i just want to be 100% sure there's nothing icky going into my tank. :) thanks!

Hmm, I never flushed mine... :scarry: But it's been 2 months now too. Well maybe I did flush it and don't remember... =X

You should totally work there if you like it, hey there's discounts too. ;) I'd be a customer for sure, lol!

fraggle rockette

well, i've run around 40g of tap water thru it plus 5g of SW to try and flush out the tap... i hope it's enough :scarry:

well, i've run around 40g of tap water thru it plus 5g of SW to try and flush out the tap... i hope it's enough :scarry:

Oh yeah, you should be plenty fine! :) I mean if I didn't do it with mine and didn't lose anything from it, then your's with that much water should be ready to go! B)

fraggle rockette
Oh yeah, you should be plenty fine! :) I mean if I didn't do it with mine and didn't lose anything from it, then your's with that much water should be ready to go! B)

i'm doing an extra 3g of SW just in case... so afraid of leeched phosphates from LA tap water... argh. :P

firstimereefer

I reall want to see a pic of your Aurora Goby I can't seem to find what it looks like?

Archived