ENraged

So I have

Diamond cut off wheels

frag plugs

frag disks

glue

Bench-vise for hands free cutting of plugs

so i think i have everything covered

Question Iodine do i need it and is Kent concentrated Iodine OK?

Should i Follow my fragging on Saturday up with a 20 percent water change on Monday?

After fragging my pieces should i house the cut piece during the process in separate species only tubs?

I.E: Micros in tub A and Zoas in Tub B? to limit exposure to foreign defensive mechanisms?

Yea I am nervous as hell I have a ###### load of cash wrapped up in this Damn AP12 and do not want to screw it up!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man 31 view and know one has any pearls of wisdom for the first time fragger?

None of the hey i made this mistake when i started dont do this type of stuff.

:(

fraggle rockette
Man 31 view and know one has any pearls of wisdom for the first time fragger?

None of the hey i made this mistake when i started dont do this type of stuff.

:(

i havent done as much fragging as most of these guys, but i can tell you a prop tank comes in handy if you're worried about warefare/meltdown. other than that, read as much as you can as far as fragging articles here and at the other site and best of luck! once you start, it's not so scary, but if there are any NRers near you who frag (or LFS's) i'd say go watch or get a friend who's done it to help the first time. :happy: looks like ur prepared tho- first time i did it, i had a dremel, a hammer, LR, and glue. and hell if i didnt almost bore a hole through my thumb or kneecap several times. lol. need a better table than a tupperware on my lap. ;)

er1c_the_reefer

i tend not worry about the alleopathy too much between softies and lps. if you have sps and are running a decent skimmer, you should be fine too.

just have at it: the fastest way you learn is by doing it and making mistakes. and the costlier the mistakes the faster you learn. :lol:

That's probably cause most of us fly by the seat of our pants while fragging. :lol:

My fragging routine isn't as extensive as as your's per se.

Tools used:

diamond cut off wheels

frag plugs/disc/coral rubble (whatever I can find laying around)

superglue

2 part epoxy (just in case I decide to stick something to the rockwork while fragging)

goggles

2 tubs

One tub has the corals to be fragged. The other tub is just filled with some water for the corals to sit in while the glue dries out a bit.

Once the corals are fragged and glued, they're placed in holding tub until I'm done fragging. I then take the frag and swish it in the return flow for a few seconds and then place into the tank. Frags go to the bottom of the tank in a shaded location (sometimes hard to find w/such a small tank) where the flow isn't as fast.

one8thscale

Don't forget gloves and something to protect your eyes. I don't use iodine. Also, I put the frags in the same area the mother colony was. If I'm correct you don't have a prop tank and wll just be putting it back in your Ap12 right. I would maybe do a small water change and use the old water for holding your frags that you are making and also to rise all the crap that will come from cutting them up. But like fraggle suggested, read up, there are lots of different ways of doing things. This is just what I do.

fraggle rockette

gloves=best idea ever.

also getting a clear clean suctioncup soapdish for frags is good.. ive used mine a ton.

Only thing i don't have is gloves but i have everything else.

My prop tank is still cycling so that is off limits for a bit.

Mvite was telling me about this soap dish thing i might have to pick one up.

we talking like bed bath and beyond soapdish?

What about the iodine thing should the holding tub for fresh frags have a bit of iodine in it?

OK so tomorrow morning i think i am good to go.

Going to pick up and exacto knife in the morning and a couple of soapdishes because my Ap12 is pretty much max capacity.

the thought of screwing up some rather pricey micros and zoas scares the crap out of me. wish i had something cheap to experiment on but i don't so hey.

Forgot to mention that I also picked up some surgical scalpels and blades for fragging purposes. Makes fragging zoas a cinch.

Weetabix7

The goggles are a good idea, but I don't worry about gloves. I sometimes have to do kinda delicate, precision cuts with the exacto, and you lose too much sensitivity with gloves.

Soap dishes are a good idea, you can find them in the hardware or bath dept. at WalMart.

I haven't done micros, just zoas, but here's what works for me.

I put a towel down on the kitchen counter and have all my tools at hand. Dremel w/diamond cut-off and xacto knife work great for me. I also keep a small container with tank water close by. I use the dremel to make a sideways cut in the rock just under the mat, then use the xacto to cut through from the top. I put all the freshly made frags in the container of water til I'm finished.

Once they're all finished, it's good to do a simple iodine dip as you mentioned to prevent infection to newly cut areas. You could use a quart (4 cups) of tank water with 1/4 teaspoon of Kent Marine's concentrated iodine. Just put them in for 3-4 mins., then place back in the tank. I like to do mine after lights out so they can sit overnight in the tank in the dark until the lights come on the next day. Placing on the bottom of the tank in lower flow for the first day works for me.

I don't mount them until the next day, just to help reduce stress a little, but it's probably not that big a deal to mount the same day, whatever, no biggie. I've been using LR rubble, but frag plugs are fine too.

Oh, I also keep a pair of tweezers on hand to remove bristleworms that pop up out of the rockwork.

It's nerve-racking the first time, but you catch on pretty quick and it's a blast to see the results of your handiwork the next day! So worth it!

Good luck, and post your results.

The goggles are a good idea, but I don't worry about gloves. I sometimes have to do kinda delicate, precision cuts with the exacto, and you lose too much sensitivity with gloves.

Soap dishes are a good idea, you can find them in the hardware or bath dept. at WalMart.

I haven't done micros, just zoas, but here's what works for me.

I put a towel down on the kitchen counter and have all my tools at hand. Dremel w/diamond cut-off and xacto knife work great for me. I also keep a small container with tank water close by. I use the dremel to make a sideways cut in the rock just under the mat, then use the xacto to cut through from the top. I put all the freshly made frags in the container of water til I'm finished.

Once they're all finished, it's good to do a simple iodine dip as you mentioned to prevent infection to newly cut areas. You could use a quart (4 cups) of tank water with 1/4 teaspoon of Kent Marine's concentrated iodine. Just put them in for 3-4 mins., then place back in the tank. I like to do mine after lights out so they can sit overnight in the tank in the dark until the lights come on the next day. Placing on the bottom of the tank in lower flow for the first day works for me.

I don't mount them until the next day, just to help reduce stress a little, but it's probably not that big a deal to mount the same day, whatever, no biggie. I've been using LR rubble, but frag plugs are fine too.

Oh, I also keep a pair of tweezers on hand to remove bristleworms that pop up out of the rockwork.

It's nerve-racking the first time, but you catch on pretty quick and it's a blast to see the results of your handiwork the next day! So worth it!

Good luck, and post your results.

Ok we are on the same page perfect love the info.

Pretty much everything in my tank is getting sliced up tomorrow while i wait for my marineflora order to show up.

I have brand new goggles but i didnt think of the tweezers good call. Wish i had bone cutters but i can work with out them for now.

I will hit up walmart for a few of those soap dishes i love that idea.

Once my frag tank is stable i can bring everything home and not have to worry about space as much.

thinking back over the course of my firfst year of reefin i wish i would have started the prop tank and collected first then went and got a show tank.

Seeing you guys collaborate brings a tear to my eyes.... :tears::)

I will tell you this. You become less and less worried with your protocol as you go. Trying things and really effing them up----is all part of it.

I dry the plug first and put it in a small piece of eggcrate. Then I cut the frags. I place the cut frags (cut side down) on a bath towel (not one we EVER intend on using again..) and repeat until all frags are cut. I drop some glue on the plug. Then I place the frag. I carry the egg crate to the tub and place it in. Then, after about 5 minutes, I get a medicine dropper and blow off all of the new frags. Lots of dust and mucous accumulates---this dusts them off nicely. I have been having nearly 100% success rate with the smallest frags of SPS, LPS and zoas using this very method.

When you guys get famous----and I am tired and retired---you better give me good discounts.

It will become old hat to you soon!!!

I will tell you this. You become less and less worried with your protocol as you go. Trying things and really effing them up----is all part of it.

I dry the plug first and put it in a small piece of eggcrate. Then I cut the frags. I place the cut frags (cut side down) on a bath towel (not one we EVER intend on using again..) and repeat until all frags are cut. I drop some glue on the plug. Then I place the frag. I carry the egg crate to the tub and place it in. Then, after about 5 minutes, I get a medicine dropper and blow off all of the new frags. Lots of dust and mucous accumulates---this dusts them off nicely. I have been having nearly 100% success rate with the smallest frags of SPS, LPS and zoas using this very method.

When you guys get famous----and I am tired and retired---you better give me good discounts.

You know my collection if i eff up and lose a piece i will curl up in the Rocking fetal position and cry myself to sleep!!

I think i have enough confidence to look those pieces in the eye and have at them with my knifes now. I get to test my theory on Bench-vise hands free dremel operation tomorrow :D

Tomorrow you PPE will feel my blades of Fury!!

Weetabix7
You know my collection if i eff up and lose a piece i will curl up in the Rocking fetal position and cry myself to sleep!!

I think i have enough confidence to look those pieces in the eye and have at them with my knifes now. I get to test my theory on Bench-vise hands free dremel operation tomorrow :D

Tomorrow you PPE will feel my blades of Fury!!

So do I get some PPE for my input? :flower::lol::flower:

Aww shucks!!! :blush:

Totally agree with all of the above comments, and heck, I'll give you a killer discount now after all the help you've given me!

You're ma bud! :happydance:

So do I get some PPE for my input? :flower::lol::flower:

Aww shucks!!! :blush:

Only have 4 polpys lol

But i am cutting them in half to grow out.

If you need some shoot me a PM with the subject PPE MINE!

I can mark one of the frags your's and grow them out to your desired Poylp count.

But for now i need to build up some stock :)

Weetabix7
Only have 4 polpys lol

But i am cutting them in half to grow out.

If you need some shoot me a PM with the subject PPE MINE!

I can mark one of the frags your's and grow them out to your desired Poylp count.

But for now i need to build up some stock :)

Yipes!

You're not cutting the actual polyps in half, are you? Cause I don't recommend that!

Are you just cutting the 4 polyp frag in half? That would work fine.

yea putting them on to disks 2 and 2 not slicing the polyps lol no no

just cutting the connective tissue between them they grew perfect for it 2 went one direction and the other 2 went another.

I am going to v groove the flesh and then cut them both off and snap the rock in half.

the way they grew i should even have plenty of rock to glue not having to put any on the PPE themselves.

PPE-1.jpg

the other polyp is to the left of the top one.

my Sparkles did the same.

palys.jpg

plenty of space for cutting connective tissue and remounting with no flesh touching the glue very pleased about this.

My Mohawks that I have i severely stunted their growth when they came off the frag plug and i used to much glue putting them back on.

they haven't grown another polyp since January and the remaining 2 have smaller then a pencil eraser Polyps but i haven't given up on them.

flesh has not even grown nor do they take food

OK i cut up my

PPE

Sparkles

Tiger eyes micro

Blueberry micro

I thinking that is about enough for today they are all back in the tank and Monday I will see what kind of Damage i have done!

I had to dremel through the flesh on the blueberries Micro which i was not amused with but i used a low rpm to try and minimize the heat build up.

Everything is back in the tank and I am gentle blowing them off every few minutes to remove any slime crap.

For those of you that do not use a bench-vise to hold you plugs while cutting it was perfect and i highly recommend picking up the cheap 26 dollar one from home depot.

Also they have plastic jaw inserts that i picked up for better clamping force without crushing the plugs..

NICE!! I am glad it went well. I don't think you can avoid messing with the tissue. All the ones I have bought from others---that are fresh cut---have cut polyps on the edges.

Someone recommended using a very slow saltwater drip whilst cutting----but that sounds like ELECTROCUTION.

Now go and make them heal faster.

Your blueberry frag looks good I think that one is going to turn out fine.

The tiger eyes i cut one single polyp as a test of dexterity lol

And another that is 2 polyps but those I am not so sure about i don't see only one mouth on that frag so who knows.

The good thing is the mother colonies look fine.

All my zoas have started to open so I Glad about that.

alright my work here is done I am going to to the boys out for something greasy

greeneyes
NICE!! I am glad it went well. I don't think you can avoid messing with the tissue. All the ones I have bought from others---that are fresh cut---have cut polyps on the edges.

Someone recommended using a very slow saltwater drip whilst cutting----but that sounds like ELECTROCUTION.

Now go and make them heal faster.

It would be like using a tile saw, just use caution.

I didn't have any problem with running the dremel dry at low rpm. when i tried at highspeed it kicked up a lot of smoke and debris.

I didn't have any problem with running the dremel dry at low rpm. when i tried at highspeed it kicked up a lot of smoke and debris.

Smells like a bad seafood restaurant, doesn't it?

A tile saw has to be grounded or sealed in some way. I would think dripping water on an open drill would be scary.

It freaks me out to see guys put their own pics in avatars. I don't mind self avs for women at all.

Weetabix7
Smells like a bad seafood restaurant, doesn't it?

I think it smells like that awful odor you experience when you're sitting in the dentist's chair and he's taking his niftly little tools to your chompers!

EUCCHHHH!!!!

Archived