Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Introducing my old tank...

Tucker74

I've been lurking here for some time and finally decided to introduce my old, 7g cube nano.  My tank met its untimely death this past weekend during a move.  I carelessly placed it on some unstable furniture to rest my aching back and it toppled over onto the ground.  Luckily, all of the live rock and inhabitants were in a separate container, but the tank cracked in several places and the substrate spilled all over the floor.  I have since purchased a 7g bowfront which is awaiting a smartlite retrofit.  I will post pictures once the new tank is up and running.  

In the meantime, please enjoy these pictures.  The tank was nearly two years old and heavily encrusted with coralline algae.  In a way, I'm relieved to have a new tank, as the old acrylic and coralline didn't mix well.  Too many scratches from cleaning to the point where I stopped cleaning the sides of the tank.  I apologize if the tank may seem a bit unkempt, but the picture was taken for personal use and not meant for display.  Had I known, I would have cleaned it up a bit.

oldtank.jpg

Bubble Coral under actinics

bubble.jpg

Mushrooms

shrooms.jpg

Tiny frogfish awaiting its prey

frogfish.jpg

Christopher Marks

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com Tucker!

Sorry to hear about the loss of the nano, but it's good that it can recover.  Thanks for sharing the photos, it looks like it was wonderful!

Sorry to hear about the tank Tucker74. :(

Hey, how big is that frog fish? Do they get any bigger than that? Which species is it? Its so darn cute.

Thanks for the condolences.  The frogfish is around 2" long.  Based on Reef Fishes vol1, I believe he is Antennarius dorehensis.  According to the description, he's nearly reached his full size.  He's the second frogfish I have kept.  I originally had a Antennarius hispidus with incredible yellow w/black striping coloration in my 29g.  

Here's another pic of the little guy hiding amongst the coral...

frogfish2.jpg

NanoReefer53

What a cutie =) . What do you feed this guy and is he posiounous ? Haha, what if one day when rearranging the tank it touches you ?

nanoreefer53, I feed him ghost shrimp.  The best part about keeping these guys is watching them methodically hunt.  Frogfish are not poisonous at all.  You might be thinking of scorpionfish.

gabe3eb, thanks for the compliment.  I'll post pics of the tank as soon as everything stabilizes.

Holy cow, a frogfish only 2" long! How adorable! (By the way the tank looks nice too - good luck getting the new one back up to speed!)

But I'm obsessed with the frogfish at the moment - somehow I thought they were always big, at least too big for a nano, though I admit I haven't done much homework on them. Where did you get it? Any idea where it lives in the wild, has anyone tried captive breeding yet, etc? I'd love to have one (or two) in my 20g tank.

I look forward to new pictures when you get things going again...

I bought him at Jeff's Exotic Fish, the well-known mail order outfit.  I nearly missed him, as he was sitting alone in a small holding tank.  Like I said, I had experience with a larger species and thought I'd give frogfish another try.  This guy doesn't have a lure that frogfish are known for.  I expected him to outgrow the tank but I guess I lucked out in getting a dwarf species.  Frogfish inhabit most of the oceans of the world and can get up to at the least the size of football if not larger.

For more info, you should definitely check out Reef Fishes vol.1 by Scott Michael.  He devotes an entire chapter to frogfish including captive care, breeding, identification, etc.  

Sounds like a cool pet.

I actually just learned about that book in the last few days, and it sounds like one I need to get. I have another one by Scott Michael, "Marine Fishes", which is a good really basic reference but not terribly thorough.

Thanks!

Archived