Innovative Marine Aquariums

Science Fair! HELP

sambo123

Ok, Im doing a research project for school, and need some ideas. I know it seems random to put this here, but I kinda want to do something relatively having to do with aquariums. It cant be simple, I need something that is high school level to get a good grade. I want to make something that is practical for the "world" too. :P I was thinking of a water purification device or something that would be inexpensive or different from others. The only problem is I have no idea what to do specifically for it. So I need some help. Lets see what you can come up with, and it also has to be inexpensive. The should be a very interesting thread. lol :) I hate science fair! :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im doing the homework, I just need an idea!!!! I think NR.com can help! lol Much better than those science fair idea websites.

HecticDialectics
Ok, Im doing a research project for school, and need some ideas. I know it seems random to put this here, but I kinda want to do something relatively having to do with aquariums. It cant be simple, I need something that is high school level to get a good grade. I want to make something that is practical for the "world" too. :PI was thinking of a water purification device or something that would be inexpensive or different from others. The only problem is I have no idea what to do specifically for it. So I need some help. Lets see what you can come up with, and it also has to be inexpensive. The should be a very interesting thread. lol :) I hate science fair! :lol:

test water purification methods? :lol:

DYOHW.

+1 :lol:

Compare the ability of different chemical media products to filter impurities? Then make your own out of theirs to provide a means of filtering out EVERYTHING?

Ok, I did some research. In places where well water is used, lots of impurities and pollutants cause diease from the water. It is common in Africa, so I was thinking if I could design a inexpensive filter that can filter out pollutants in the water. I could use some of the filter media around now. Im not sure if it work though, anybody have any ideas to expand that? Ill try to do my own HW, im desperate, I need a 1000 word reasearch paper on it by Fri.! lol

really anything, I just would like to do something with aquariums to some degree. Im liking the low-cost water filter idea, but looking at other inventions, it looks like alot of it has already been done before and I cant think of a "twist" on the experiment. I would like it to do more with aquariums, but it has to have a purpose to it that is valuble to people with and without aquariums, so Im having some trouble finding something.

when i did a science project i did a mini solar powered fan ... like a pocket one ... so that you can use the sun (what heats you up to cool you down ) ... i just bought a crappy plastic fan from the dollar store took the blades of and made my own out of 1/8 inch thick wood and attached the solar panel to it , a potentiometer (sp?) and used rechargeable batteries so when it was switched onto solar power it recharged the batteries as well

this would be so strange, I cant even begin to think of how to test it, Hey! you want to be part of my science fair!!! :lol:

Ive seen some cool solor powered water purification, some uses the UV rays of the sun to kill bacteria, I could do that and then use a media of some sort to filter out harmful chemicals in the water. That might be interesting.

you could purify it and test for ammonia, salinity. test various filtration methods. then drink it for shock value. Guaranteed A

p.s.

I'd love to donate some urea. just bring me a cup

I was thinking of attaching a few little solar panels on the light gaurd on my BC 14 facing the lights, and using the power they generate to power a small circulation fan above the water surface, so it would be low wattage (safe) but wouldn't trip my GFCI if it got wet- think it would work?

natural sunlight is best for them ... i actually fried one by putting it too close to an indoor light .... but outside even on a cloudy day it would give you a nice breeze lol .... ill try and find it to post some pics

you could purify it and test for ammonia, salinity. test various filtration methods. then drink it for shock value. Guaranteed A

p.s.

I'd love to donate some urea. just bring me a cup

Thats actually kinda interesting, but Id kind of rather fail then have to drink urine!!! :P lol

Im still thinking of using the sun to remove bacteria through UV rays and then using a media to remove harmful chemicals in the water. I cant find a list of the common harmful chemicals in well water, I think it just depends, so it might be hard to make something. Anybody have any ideas to expand.

The solar powered fan sounds like a good idea, can soloar panels produce energy from household light? then you could make the fan run off of the tanks light.

the sun prolly wont work. its also a cruddy experiment, just leaving your organims out in the light. I'd do it, but i like to half ass things.

You also have to prove that there were organims in the first place, and it was the uv (which is filtered by plastic, glass, etc.) that killed them and not say heat, or other contaminates. Microbe experiments are beyond even most college students.

Im telling you, ### is liquid gold! Or the other thing you can do is hydro/aerophonics. I believe you can actually germinate seeds, and grow plants in a media such as agarose instead of soil. it would provide you with opportunities to manipulate mineral concentrations.

I don't think you're going to find anything viable in an aquarium as those experiments might be a lil long term. What grade are you in anyway?

Is this just an excuse to set up a tank?

ii just did a project for my college bio lab. I did it on water quality and how it affects the growth and propagation of aiptasia. it was a very interesting project.

I already have a tank, two actually! I dont need another, you can check my signature to see it. lol Im in 10th grade. You probably right, there are wat to many variables ect. in the killing of bacteria, after researching. So I need something else, I think there is a experiment I can do somewhat relating to tanks. I have all summer to do the project, this year I do the project research and my junior year, I do the project. That gives me 4 months minimum to do a project. Is there something I could do on water purification that could be used for a common use???

***EDIT****

ooh, the LED lighting would be really cool. It would be expensive though. Is there a way I could relate it to anything other than aquariums??? I really like that idea, but how could I make it inexpensive????

Archived