ReefCleaners.org

Purigen Regeneration & Chemi-pure

Dave83

Does anybody know how many times purigen can be regenerated before it needs to be replaced?

Also, how often is everyone changing their chemi-pure or leaving it in for?

Thanks

Dave

afaik, purigen can be regenerated indefinitely. the tiny pores of the granules just get cleaned out everytime you soak in the bleach. it's a process i'm not comfortable with but i know people who have done it for many years now. :unsure:

as for chemi-pure, i would hesitate to keep it in for longer than a month but i believe they state it can go at least that long. i'm more of a plain carbon user though, which has slightly different properties supposedly. hth

I'm told after so many regenerations purigen will no longer loose its darkened (exhausted) color and will continue to smell like bleach even after treatment with a dechlorinator at this point its trash.

I've got one of the 100ML bags running in my JBJ Picotope's stock filter with black filter pad, its been in there for 2 months and my water quality is GREAT! I do take it out and massage the bag to mix things up and expose fresh purigen when I rinse the filter pad once a week.

I'm told after so many regenerations purigen will no longer loose its darkened (exhausted) color and will continue to smell like bleach even after treatment with a dechlorinator at this point its trash.
well, i've never tried it (too scary for me) but the guys that i know that have do it continuously. maybe some of it breaks down after a while(?) and they get a fresh batch every now and then but i've not heard that.

the chlorine should evaporate off regardless after a few days with or without the dechlorinator. i would play it safe still with the dech but it shouldn't stay even after x-amount of treatments/regenerations imo.

You're supposed to be able to keep chemi-pure in there for 6 months or something like that, but they also say you don't have to change your water! I replace mine monthly. My purigen hasn't been changed at all yet.

Archived