Coral Vue Hydros

Got a Diamond Watchman Goby...

nuckaphobia

nuckaphobia

Here's the story... I went to my LFS today with an open mind... i wanted to come home with an interesting fish to watch for my 12G. tank has been up 1 month+, params look great, have 4 astrea snails, 2 nass snails, 3 hermits, 1 xenia frag, 1 kenya frag, 2 zoa frags, things looking good.

So a diamond watchman goby catches my eye... totally interesting fish, burrowing, sifting through the sand, just really hamming it up for me. I asked the guy at the LFS a lot of questions... would it be ok for my 12g, would it eat mysis/pellet/flake/etc, etc. sure enough, he assures me that it would be a great fish for my 12g, that he'd be a good tank mate and keep my sand really clean.

I get home, acclimate the fish, get it into my tank... and it's super happy. immediately sets about making his burrow, starts sifting the sand, gobbles up all the mysis i put in there. after watching him for awhile and being satisfied, i go upstairs to read up on more information about him...

to my horror, every website says these guys are best in 50G+ tanks and that they're at a high starvation risk in anything smaller. i think i should return him but there's almost no way for me to remove him without dismantling... he's already made his burrow at the very bottom of a huge stack of LR with my frags on them.

so i ask you guys.. .what is your experience with this fish? anybody had one starve? anybody successfully kept one in a nano? should i just pile on the mysis everyday so he doesn't starve? ahhhh, i really like him and i don't want him to die. it was my fault for not doing research first, so i'd feel so guilty if he starved to death of all things.

WHAT SHOULD I DO??? :o

fraggle rockette
Here's the story... I went to my LFS today with an open mind... i wanted to come home with an interesting fish to watch for my 12G. tank has been up 1 month+, params look great, have 4 astrea snails, 2 nass snails, 3 hermits, 1 xenia frag, 1 kenya frag, 2 zoa frags, things looking good.

So a diamond watchman goby catches my eye... totally interesting fish, burrowing, sifting through the sand, just really hamming it up for me. I asked the guy at the LFS a lot of questions... would it be ok for my 12g, would it eat mysis/pellet/flake/etc, etc. sure enough, he assures me that it would be a great fish for my 12g, that he'd be a good tank mate and keep my sand really clean.

I get home, acclimate the fish, get it into my tank... and it's super happy. immediately sets about making his burrow, starts sifting the sand, gobbles up all the mysis i put in there. after watching him for awhile and being satisfied, i go upstairs to read up on more information about him...

to my horror, every website says these guys are best in 50G+ tanks and that they're at a high starvation risk in anything smaller. i think i should return him but there's almost no way for me to remove him without dismantling... he's already made his burrow at the very bottom of a huge stack of LR with my frags on them.

so i ask you guys.. .what is your experience with this fish? anybody had one starve? anybody successfully kept one in a nano? should i just pile on the mysis everyday so he doesn't starve? ahhhh, i really like him and i don't want him to die. it was my fault for not doing research first, so i'd feel so guilty if he starved to death of all things.

WHAT SHOULD I DO??? :o

i haven't had experience with this particular one, but i've heard an read about them... yeah hate to say it dude, but your tank is a bit too small and a bit too new to keep this guy... if you can get him to eat daily then you might be okay and i think he'd be fine as long as he's eating (i have to target feed my starfish b/c he clean sweeps the pods otherwise) but like a mandarin, he needs a fairly large and very established tank in order to survive happily plus food usually. if you cant feed him daily, i'd fish him out... sorry... :(

i love diamond gobys, their one of my favorites. i did have one in my 55 until it starved. i was really surprised, because i tend to over feed my tank as i have alot of critters to feed.

i would switch it out and get an orange spotted, basically the same, just not as big, and therefore wont sift nearly the amount of sand. but in a 12 gallon the orange spotted will be perfect.

nuckaphobia

thank you both for your responses... argh so your diamond starved in a 55g? oi... that's definitely not a good thing to hear. honestly after everything i've read i'm not opposed to getting him out, i'm just not sure how i could do it. he's so freakin fast and as soon as i move he bolts into his hole.

... i guess i may have to start removing the LR but that's gonna be killer. it's all wedged in there and some parts are stuck together. oh man... :(

agoutihead: in case i can't the goby out, let me ask you some questions. did you target feed your goby at all? how often did you feed the tank? is there any way to see "signs of starvation"?

thanks again for your help!

i guess you can try target feeding him, but he travels so much ground, hell find any food in a 12 gallon. hell make his rounds rather quick.

it was weird, because i thought he was doing so well, had him over a year, and then one day i find him upside down with a sunken belly. i never even seen him have a sunken belly. it was really weird and very disappointing.

I had one in my 24gal for months and he was very healthy, watch out though because mine jumped into the back chambers and died. While he was alive he would come up when I put frozen food in the tank, very neat little fish.

coral_addict
I had one in my 24gal for months and he was very healthy, watch out though because mine jumped into the back chambers and died. While he was alive he would come up when I put frozen food in the tank, very neat little fish.

I lost 1 in the rear chamber as well. If your tank have LS and LR, it will be comfortable. Just make sure you dont have any aggressive fish or invert that would scare it to jump out. Mine didnt like my Biocube 29 so I moved it to the BC14 which is close to your tank size. It's doing ok there for over 1month. However this fish will outgrow the tank bc ut will grow up to 5-6 inches.

nuckaphobia
I lost 1 in the rear chamber as well. If your tank have LS and LR, it will be comfortable. Just make sure you dont have any aggressive fish or invert that would scare it to jump out. Mine didnt like my Biocube 29 so I moved it to the BC14 which is close to your tank size. It's doing ok there for over 1month. However this fish will outgrow the tank bc ut will grow up to 5-6 inches.

coral_addict & esabasard - can i ask you guys what you did/are doing as far as feeding? target feeding? how many times a day? how much? what are you feeding with?

thanks for your help!

snowman5373

I Had one in my AP 12 gallon and the little bugger died. Lasted about a month, would not eat the food I was putting into the tank. Well, he/she would attempt to eat, but the food ended up just coming out of the gills.

Yeah, diamond gobys get SO big, i have seen some big ones. I had one....for a day or two till the little bastard jumped out ha ha. So i got a yellow watchman instead. He doesn't sift my sand but he is still way cool and comes out all the time especially when i feed my fish.

The Kapenta Kid

I have a diamond in a 15 gal and I found from the beginning that it would eat any kind of frozen meaty food or live shrimp/worms. It swims up into mid-water to pursue and take food morsels. I have read that this is common behavior. It still sifts a lot of sand, but I guess old habits die hard. :D It clearly gets enough food from other sources. In fact if I can catch it I am going to remove it to my 55 gal FOWLR to work over the sand there.

So I wouldn't give up on your one just yet. No matter what you have read, check what he really will eat.

Here is mine.

valslant.jpg

nuckaphobia
I have a diamond in a 15 gal and I found from the beginning that it would eat any kind of frozen meaty food or live shrimp/worms. It swims up into mid-water to pursue and take food morsels. I have read that this is common behavior. It still sifts a lot of sand, but I guess old habits die hard. :D It clearly gets enough food from other sources. In fact if I can catch it I am going to remove it to my 55 gal FOWLR to work over the sand there.

So I wouldn't give up on your one just yet. No matter what you have read, check what he really will eat.

Kapenta... how often do you feed it? more than once a day?

i tried to test what his limits were yesterday... he seems, shall we say, limitless. i fed him 3 batches of mysis and he pretty much gobbled them all up. i didn't count exactly how many shrimp, but it was at least 20 shrimp or more.

I have a Decorated Gobby in my 20g long and he has been doing fine for over a year. Fat and happy. Sifts the sand all day long and will eat what ever else I put in the tank for the clown. I see him sifting the sand, picking at the rocks as well as eating the pellets I drop in. Mine has a different color pattern then yours but the shape and features are identicle.

I would not worry about it not getting enough food as long as you supliment with prepared foods. My only concern is that it may outgrow your tank. In my 20 one of those and a single small clown are all the bioload I can handle.

I feed my tank about 2 times in 3 days. Just enough for them to eat in a few minutes. But my tank is about 3 years old with a pod population and some natural food sources in the system.

coral_addict

I feed mine just brine shrimp and flake food. However it seems like the flake food would just pass thru his gills while the Brine would stay. I think this is a supplement to the food he gets from the LS. I only feed my fishes every other day. I may consider feeding him some pellet food that sinks. I really like this fish, it's my favorite one so I don't care if it out grows this tank, he's staying as long as he's happy. I've actually removed some rocks to give him more sand surface to eat and burrow. My favorite Goby ever.

nuckaphobia

once again thank you all for your responses. i had no luck in attempting to remove him WITHOUT taking out my LR. i'm not ready to try to do so as i think i'd create a huge mess, ruin my scape, and kill some other things in the process. so........ he stays! gonna try to target feed him and keep him happy.

good luck to me. :mellow:

Archived