Pod Your Reef

DJL's 10 Gallon is alive!

djl

Well, after 4 months of reading and listening, I've finally got my tank up and running.  I set it up just after New Years - so it has been about a month now.

10 Gallon Tru-Vu Flat Back Hex tank

96 watt SmartLamp retrofitted into the stock hood with a small 4 cfm cooling fan

Bak Pak 2R skimmer + minijet 606 power head for current

15 lbs Gulf View Live Rock

10 lbs Gulf View Live Sand + 4 lbs. Garf Grunge + 5 lbs CaribSea Aragonite sand

The tank cycled very quickly, and is now running with zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate.  Inhabitants include a cleanup crew of red-legged hermits and mixed snails, one brown gorgonian, and as of today, some small pulsing xenia.  That's the stuff I actually added - the tank is full of life that came on the rock including x-mas tree worms, spaghetti worms, mussels, money plant, etc.

Pictures, from the beginning, are at https://www.quickbase.com/db/7nwx7jww?a=q&qid=6

My log is at http://www.k6if.com/reef/log.html

This web site and the discussion forums have been a huge help in getting everything set up - thanks a million!

***dan

On the light question - I think it is a lot of light.  But, I read a ton on the topic, and while 9.5 watts/gallon is at the high end, in terms of lumens per square foot this setup is high-mid range.  I want to be able to keep sps corals and maybe a small clam someday - so I went for more light rather than less.

So far, it seems to be working out just great.  I had quite a bit of hair algae during the time that the nitrate was high (during cycling), but now that the nitrate is down the 'bad' algae seems under control.  Meanwhile, I've got good corraline growth, and everything else seems happy.  The tank does run a tad hot, but I control that with the fan.

I keep my log and my photos on QuickBase.  The web page with my log updates automatically.  More photo's will be posted soon.

Thanks again for all the help - I couldn't have done it without the info on this and other reef keeping forums.

***dan

The tank is made by Tru Vu, who is based here in the S.F. Bay Area.  Their tanks are available by mail order if you do a web search...

I got mine at the local PetCo for $80 (actually, I got mine as a Hannukah present, but that is where it was bought :-).

***dan

Really ? TruVu is based in San Francisco ?

hmm....maybe this way I can get a good tank with a good price without having to ship it.

Anyone know the URL to their website ?

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 8:25 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

Archived