Cultivated Reef

Green star polyps closed

fish n' pets

fish n' pets

I have had this Briareum star polyp frag for about a month. It's been doing great, even starting to encrust the wall a bit. Now about half of the polyps haven't been out for a couple of days. The others seem healthy and unaffected, but what can I do to help the coral? Do they close up and shed like leather coral?

Do they close up and shed like leather coral?

No, but they are finnicky and tend to close up for days at a time.

Do a quick search (upper right corner of this page) for "GSP" and you'll find a whole lot of threads in this issue.

fish n' pets

I did search, and all of the threads say either it's too little flow (which they are blasted with it every few seconds) or they need time to open after you moved them. None of these make sense. My parameters are all fine. Should I just wait?

If high flow isn't working, try lower flow.

I have some star polyps that really like high light, high flow areas and I have some that prefer the opposite.

Try moving them to another area of the tank and give them 3-5 days. If they don't open back up, try moving them again.

fish n' pets

I can't acctually move them because they are attatched to the wall. I can move the pump, so that's what I did. Now they are all closed. I moved it back, but that didn't seem to help. This is so confusing!

they do like high flow.

i would just give it a few days, if not openeing. possibly dying with sometype of fungus?

just my opinion.

good luck!

David

They like high flow! You just have to wait couple of days, they will come out eventually. Also make sure they get good lightning. I've had mines close for 3-4 days after moving them around or fragging them.

fish n' pets

Wow, thanks for the answers! I will make sure they're getting lots of current, and wait a couple days. They do have some hint of brown on it, so maybe that's fungus? I don't think my tank is going through a cycle. It has been fine for a year, and I haven't added any big waste producers.

allenspidey

Mine refused to open for a week. I used a turkey baster and blew the brown stuff off. Next morning they were open. Fosi knows his stuff and he told me high flow and get the crusty stuff off. Trust the Fosi dude!

fish n' pets

Well, I keep blowing the browns stuff off with a syringe, but the brown stuff keeps coming back! I don't know if I should just leave them alone for a couple days or keep blasting the stuff off. I keep worrying i'm bothering them so much they don't want to open.

Archived