Pod Your Reef

good or bad?

alexmurovec

alexmurovec

my tank has been running for 15 days now and i recently added 2 astrea snails and 2 red scarlet hermits. they are still getting used to the tank and haven't done much cleaning yet, hopefully they will get going, haha.

right now i have lots of green hair algae which is common. then there are 2 other types of plant like algaes, if thats what they are, that i do not know if they are good or bad. the first unknown is brown and grows either tall or patchy. then there is also lots of white stalks, almost like little trees that i have no idea what they are. i posted some pictures below so hopefully someone will be able to help me out. thanks in advance, alex.

alexsaltwater082.jpg

some green hair algae and the tall brown plant like stuff

alexsaltwater084.jpg

a bigger, less tall patch of this brown stuff

alexsaltwater083.jpg

it's located right in the middle of the picture, a tree like white growth

get rid of all of it with your clean up crew

green - hair algae

brown branch - hair algae?

brown - daitoms

white - die off?

i think i might see some bubble algae in the last picture (bottom left) it's not very bad for your tank but can spread. emerald crabs will supposedly eat it but you can CAREFULLY remove it by hand. be careful because the bubbles are under pressure and if you pop them you'll release spores into the rest of your tank. use a razor and get underneath it.

alexmurovec
get rid of all of it with your clean up crew

green - hair algae

brown branch - hair algae?

brown - daitoms

white - die off?

i think i might see some bubble algae in the last picture (bottom left) it's not very bad for your tank but can spread. emerald crabs will supposedly eat it but you can CAREFULLY remove it by hand. be careful because the bubbles are under pressure and if you pop them you'll release spores into the rest of your tank. use a razor and get underneath it.

get rid of all of it with your clean up crew? what do you mean by that?

the brown patch is elevated from the rock, almost like a mushroom but algae. i thought diatoms were just a brown film/short hair. about the white stuff, its weird, because 3 days ago i had none of it, and now its all seeming to grow. so as for die off, it wouldn't really make sense.

i looked closer at that patch and it was bubble algae. the green stuff. there was that little patch and then a few odd balls over on the other side of the tank. i took a razor blade to them and removed them from the rock. but now they just floated somewhere else because they are so small i can't remove them. to give a perspective, that orange thing in the picture is about 2 mm, so this bubble algae is very small. i just hope i didn't pop any in the process of scraping them off.

isn't bubble algae so bad that it ruins the whole tank? i've scared of something like this just destroying everything if if spreads. i could get an emerald, which would take care of the bubble algae and the hair algae, but i have heard to many risks about them, but maybe its my only option.

also, after looking close on all my rock i spotted some red plant like hair algae. know what it could be?

alexmurovec

i found one little peice of the bubble algae that i scraped off on the sand. so just to confirm that it is actually bubble algae, heres a picture.

alexsaltwater087.jpg

alexmurovec
yes

i saw that someone posted and i got all exited for an answer, haha. what i meant by anyone, is that does anyone know what these algae forms could be, and if so, are they good or are they bad.

The brown tall stalky algae, I got some on my rocks... they don't grow well... and don't explode in population like caulerpa. Just pluck them out 'cos they are plain ugly.

The brown patchy is diatom... It will die-off pretty soon once the more aggressive hair algae over run the tank.

The bubble algae which is grape caulerpa can overtake the tank if the conditions are right. Pluck it out if you hate the plant tank look.

The white stalk... I'm not too sure. I don't think it's an algae. Maybe sponge or something of filter feeder?

Archived