SaltCritters.com

just got fish & CUC

phishy11

I just got 2 yellow tailed damsels and about 15 snails for my 20 gal.

One of the damsels is constantly at the top of the tank..is that normal?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did you get 15 snails? That is way too many. They will not survive. As for the damsel, it is normal. Why did you decide to get damsels? If you want to add any other fish youll need to take them out because theyll pick on it.

alexmurovec

are they black nassarius snails? do they just chill in the sand bed? if so that is probably too many unless you have alot of waste for them to eat on the sandbed. i would suggest getting a variety of snails. some species focus on different things, so getting a variety will keep every aspect of your tank nice and clean. got any pictures of the tank lately?

the one damsel is probably in the corner and top of the tank because the other one is being aggresive towards it ... not really a wise choice 2 damsels in a 20 ....

he kinda of was..like when he got in his territory.

no,the snails go all over the rock and glass..

No pictures yet..ill prb put some up tom.

I'd trade in a bunch of those snails for some hermits.

Can hardley waite to see the pics... hope you are enjoying the tank!

yes it is ... you may not notice it now but soon they will run out of a food source and you will see less and less of them until the population balances out in accordance to the food source ....

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

Has your cycle even ended yet phishy? Just yesterday I thought you were asking just yesterday when nitrites would start to appear?

Just yesterday I thought you were asking just yesterday when nitrites would start to appear?

wow lol ... your tank did not even cycle and you are adding livestock

Helfrichs Chick

NOT flamming you just offering what I think.....Your more than likely going to kill your establishing tank IF those snails die. IF you not done with a cycle you will very likely kill the snails then they will riun your water and you gonna start from scratch again. IMHO people put WAY to much CUC in nanos. 20 gallon tank.... 3 MAYBE 4 snails TOPS (I dont like snails personally except nass.) 3-5 hermits TOPS. Nanos just dont (usually) have the ammount of food they need, and if their not scarlets they will eat stuff, may it be coraline or corals. This is my experience. Damsels are fine if thats what you want in the long run. Personally I love the figi devils.... they are the blue ones, with little to no yellow on the bellies. I like the allens damsels too, and they are not aggressive like most. If you got 2 yellow tail blues your going to likely end up with only one. Are you running a full range of tests on your tank> If so what are the trates, trites, ammonia, phosphates etc. Just wondering. Good luck.

alexmurovec

theres one supplier site that i buy some of my stuff off of, and they say up to 2 snails per gallon. i think they just want the sales, haha. i would trust what people say on here more than any old website.

theres one supplier site that i buy some of my stuff off of, and they say up to 2 snails per gallon. i think they just want the sales, haha. i would trust what people say on here more than any old website.

how many do you have?

Archived