SaltCritters.com

Black Worms ID

Carolinapico

Carolinapico

I've just noticed tons and tons of small black worms in my tank. No idea what they are or if they are harmful?

They don't move very fast and the only thing i can relate them to is the size and color of an eyelash. They are very leech like. Anyone know anything about these?

Just wondering if they were harmless or not. They don't seem to be bothering anything right now.

Here are the best pics i could get.

blackworms1.jpg

blackworms3.jpg

blackworms2.jpg

Very good pics of something so tiny, and they look like nothing I've ever seen!

Usually when I think of swarms of tiny worms on surfaces (as opposed to in the substrate) I think of some kind of flatworm, but these do not look like those (if you can follow that... :) )

If they also move like leeches (stretching & contracting, a bit like inchworms, etc.), maybe they are some sort of similar critter. There are a few marine leeches, but it's hard to find much info on them. However, though some spp are scavengers, I don't think any are detritivores...

Just by the process of elimination (and guessing) I would suggest maybe some sort of nematode?

--Diane

Carolinapico

Nematode was acctually suggested on another forum i posted on. They do kinda inch along though very slowly. I'll just keep an eye on them, they don't seem to be doing much of anything right now.

Thanks for the help!

Carolinapico

Thanks for the links.

I first noticed them after i added a small rock with a ric on it. They mostly stay on the glass or the rocks towards the substrate. I haven't observed them on any of the Zoas/Ric, even when checking after the lights are out.

They look like maybe ribbon worms? There are so many worms out there. Frankly, I'd remove them. They look worrisome.

Archived