Cultivated Reef

Question about 5.5 gallon setup

shaysite

Could anyone offer some advice what types of coral, live rock, other invertebrates and fish would work in the following setup-also what combinations would make sense? The setup:

5.5 aga

sand floor

AquaClear 110 filter in standard configuration with bio media

Aqualight Power Compact Fixture - Straight Pin - 2 x 18W - 12 in

50w heater

Fission Nano Protein Skimmer

Thank you,

Walt Bailey

walter_bailey@hotmail.com

my 5.5G is about the same setup as yours. same lighting except i have a 2.5g connected to mine instead of a large filter. Also you might want to change out the fan thingy in the AC110 because that's gonna be wayy too much flow for the 5.5g.

as of now i am keeping a torch coral, some mushrooms, xenias, zoo/zoa, GSP and people eaters.

for fish i have kept clowns, firefish,gobies and a mandarin. I wouldn't recommend a mandarin though. Mine was an experiment to see if i can train it to eat using a small environment.

Thank you! Suppose I was to substitute an Aquaclear 70 for the 110. Would I still have enough filtration and flow, without adding other equipment?

shaysite

my 5.5G is about the same setup as yours. same lighting except i have a 2.5g connected to mine instead of a large filter. Also you might want to change out the fan thingy in the AC110 because that's gonna be wayy too much flow for the 5.5g.

as of now i am keeping a torch coral, some mushrooms, xenias, zoo/zoa, GSP and people eaters.

for fish i have kept clowns, firefish,gobies and a mandarin. I wouldn't recommend a mandarin though. Mine was an experiment to see if i can train it to eat using a small environment.

They AC 70 has flow adjustable from 100 to 300 GPH and is more than enough filter for a 5.5. If the flow is still to great the AC 70 will accept the impeller from any of the smaller AC's without modification.

yankeereefer

AC110 impeller cannot be swapped out for any of the other models - I suspect that the AC110 is going to be way too much flow.

I recently bought an AC70 for my 5.5g tank - It too has way too much flow - I slowed down the flow by adding 1 baffle and shaving down half of the blades.

It's about perfect now -

I would get rid of the nano fission skimmer, most here have found it to be a waste of $$. If you want a skimmer, you can make a better one! A skimmer isn't really needed in this size tank, as long as you don't overstock and you do regular (weekly) water changes of 10-20%. Put decent chemical filtration media in the AC along with some live rock rubble (to increase biological filtration) Any type of live rock is good, but I suggest fiji and/or marshall. Check out your LFS- they may have decent fiji. As for fish, you are kind of limited, but you can keep a small fish or two- check out lgreen's list of nano fish (sticky in beginner's forum). As for inverts- a cleaner shrimp, some hermits, snails, and other smaller members of a CUC will work out well. As for coral- mushrooms, zoas, ricordia, and other beginner coral will all suit you well- with more than 7 watts/ gallon, you can keep quite a variety of coral, but I would start with the above and then get harder to keep coral. HTH and Good Luck! :happy:

I would get rid of the nano fission skimmer, most here have found it to be a waste of $$. If you want a skimmer, you can make a better one! A skimmer isn't really needed in this size tank, as long as you don't overstock and you do regular (weekly) water changes of 10-20%. Put decent chemical filtration media in the AC along with some live rock rubble (to increase biological filtration) Any type of live rock is good, but I suggest fiji and/or marshall. Check out your LFS- they may have decent fiji. As for fish, you are kind of limited, but you can keep a small fish or two- check out lgreen's list of nano fish (sticky in beginner's forum). As for inverts- a cleaner shrimp, some hermits, snails, and other smaller members of a CUC will work out well. As for coral- mushrooms, zoas, ricordia, and other beginner coral will all suit you well- with more than 7 watts/ gallon, you can keep quite a variety of coral, but I would start with the above and then get harder to keep coral. HTH and Good Luck! :happy:

Thanks so much for the thoughtful and learned replies! That helps a lot!

Shaysite :D

Archived