Pod Your Reef

what kind of lighting do chetos need?

alienup

i think that they need industrial warehouse lighting, set in a oven over 350 baked just untill they are crisp and ready to be eaten......

ohhh you mean cheato 5100k(best but really hard to find)-6700k(good, and really easy to find)

i think that they need industrial warehouse lighting, set in a oven over 350 baked just untill they are crisp and ready to be eaten......

ohhh you mean cheato 5100k(best but really hard to find)-6700k(good, and really easy to find)

Actually he means Chaeto.

i think you missed the sarcasm class. Check out the lounge for the next available session.

Nah, I got it.

You just spelled it wrong as well. You spelled Cheato, when in reality it is Chaeto, short for Chaetomorpha sp.

I went to HD looking for a small light for my fuge. I found a PC bulb that was 5.5k but with further investigation I found that those PC worklights are about 13w and 7k bulb so i bought one of those for 19 dollars. I havent tried it on my cheato yet but I should be soon and I will let you know how it works. Thought I would share.

If it grows, it is OK. If it dies, it is probably not OK. Don't confuse will it work, is it OK, and is it the best I can do. These are all different questions.

Will it work is answered with the life/death answer.

Is it OK, is answered by the growth/death answer

Is it the best I can do is answered by abundant, overflowing, growth.

Are you satisfied with OK, or do you want the best situation for the organism in question.

PS- Any amount of light, and any temperature should be OK. I had chaeto under a 4' shoplight for a month. There was some die-off as it acclimated, but it survived, and even started to grow. The point is moot because last night I set up a 6 bulb TEK T5HO setup. It SHINES! We'll see what the growth is like now!

dsoz :)

• 2 weeks later...
thanks about how much cheato should i put in the aquapod? i have about half a sandwich bag is that tomuch?

There is no right answer. If you put in too little, it grows, too much and it does not grow. It will all depend on the nutrient load in your tank. You can't "hurt" it. It will just adapt to grow or not based on what you give it.

I'm using an OTT-lite 13w screw in socket bulb right now with great results. It looks like 2 mini pc bulbs when you look inside. I'm sure you'd do well with melev's suggested lighting too.

ELS17P_md.jpg

Archived