Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Groupers in reefs

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

I just set up a 40 gal reef, and had a whole list of fish that I wanted to put in it, But I have been pondering setting up my 100 gal FO again.

Instead of a bunch of stadard reef fish, I have been thinking about raising a small panther grouper alone in the 40 gal reef until he is large enough to go into the 100 gal.

I would never consider doing this unless I had a place to put the fish after it grows to large for the 40 gal, which would be at about 3-3 1/2 inches. But while it is small, how cool would a panther grouper be in a reef!

I also know they are safe with inverts that are their size, I.E. a pom pom crab, snails and hermits, and cleaner shrimp. My LFS has a huge panther that lives with cleaner shirmp and lets them clean him.

I am really leaning towards this.

i find this idea INSANE, but i like it! :happy:

they do grow very fast, but not that fast.

i reckon it takes 6 months for it to grow around half an inch.

go for it!

SeeDemTails

I should mention that I have rasied 2 other panther groupers from a very small size, my father has the origional that live in his 125 gal that is over 7 years old and pushing 15". I had to find a home for the other due to a long distance move, but I made sure it was a good home.

I have also been a reefer for a few years. I am sure I can keep one easily, and what would be sicker than a panther grouper in a SPS reef.

• 2 weeks later...
SeeDemTails

And so does an acropora colony, most clams, and a lot of other things we keep in our tanks.....

My father has had a panther grouper in a 100 that is almost 8 years old. It is not to large after almost 10 years of growth, but yes, any grouper will outgrow any "aquarium" eventually, unless you work at sea world(which would be a sick job!)

Archived