Pod Your Reef

White, floating, dandruff like flakes?!?!?!

aminalcwakerz

aminalcwakerz

ok.. so I was looking at my tank today and i noticed alot of clear/white specs, looks almost like... dandruff.... floating in my tank. Here are pics. What the heck are they?!

post-27431-1176615984_thumb.jpg

post-27431-1176615994_thumb.jpg

Surface film/scum. Most likely just dissolved organics gathering up. You can always point a powerhead to agitate the surface. That, or get a protein skimmer.

Ghetto way would be skimming the surface oils with a cup during water change time. Or, you can lay a paper towel and soak it up.

your surface is stagnant. either add a powerhead directed upward (as PN suggested) to break the surface tension, OR get a surface skimmer. the extra pump would probably be better... increased water movement never hurts

coral_addict

Did you lean over the tank and got some of that dandruff in there? Time for some head and shoulders shampoo!! Just kidding, I have similar issues in my tank. I added more flow to my tank but that's only a bandaid to the problem as it will make your tank water appear a little cloudier with too much excess nutrient gunk. Get a Protein skimmer or use more flow plus some better way of trapping the gunk like thicker polyfil with some good old Chemipure etc. I did that trick and modified my stock filter to get more of that gunk out. Now I just use a good Protein Skimmer to do the trick. You will be surprise with what you can pull out with a good Skimmer, Nasty!!

Archived