inTank Media Baskets

Diatom Removal ?

NitroJunkie

NitroJunkie

As you can see by the pic below, my week + old tank is experiencing diatom blooms, the rock was cover in brown until I put a cuc into action. My cuc consist of 3 scarlet hermits, 2 blue leg hermits, 5 turbo snails, 1 emerald crab. The 14 pounds of live rock was cleaned off overnight. However the past few days they have barely touched the live sand that is brown. I have two questions

1) According to what I have read the above cuc should remove the diatom from the sand bed?

2) Should I be stirring/raking the sand on a regular basis ?

diatomne3.th.jpg

alexmurovec

from what i know, just let the sand be. i'm having the same problem; i just added 2 red scarlets and 2 astrea snails, all i can say is they have done nothing and its been a day. how do you like your red scarlets?

NitroJunkie
I got mine multiple times during and after my cycle. It will go away on its own.

Thanks for the help! I love the scarlets , I have one that has a white shell with pink patterns on it that is realy coo. The emerald is awesome but I dont get to see him that much , he is shy ! :)

alexmurovec
Thanks for the help! I love the scarlets , I have one that has a white shell with pink patterns on it that is realy coo. The emerald is awesome but I dont get to see him that much , he is shy ! :)

i'm thinking of maybe getting an emerald crab. i heard that if there isn't enough algae, they may try to eat fish or corals, so i suppose that could be bad if there isn't enough algae. right now though, all my tank is, is hair algae. plus, they got an emerald at the pet store right now. whats your thoughts?

I had 2 emeralds (I am pretty sure one was male and the other was female; you can tell by the size of the claws and underbelly). The male was larger and was more aggressive, after I put my clowns in he seemed to stop eating algea and follow them around the tank. I got rid of him before he could damage anyone, the femal has been fine. She eats diatoms also but only whats is on the sand close to the rock. Her legs never detach from the rock.

Another diatom eater is a fighting conch, they are really cool but I have heard they can get big. I have 2 and if they get too big my LFS will trade me for them.

hmm, the emeralds do seem a little risky. but what else eats hair algae besides the conchs?

as far as I know conch's don't eat hair algea; emeralds will. Are we still talking about diatoms?

I had an Emerald that ate a newly introduced frogspawn. He and an orange-banded hermit ate 2 complete heads of frogspawn in one night.

Be weary and warned, Emeralds can and may eat corals. I have alage to be eaten in the form of a small patch of hair algea and some cheato in the back of the tank. He prefered my frogspawn. He and the orange banded hermit both went back to the LFS.

Good luck

alexmurovec
I had an Emerald that ate a newly introduced frogspawn. He and an orange-banded hermit ate 2 complete heads of frogspawn in one night.

Be weary and warned, Emeralds can and may eat corals. I have alage to be eaten in the form of a small patch of hair algea and some cheato in the back of the tank. He prefered my frogspawn. He and the orange banded hermit both went back to the LFS.

Good luck

ok well thats final, i'm definetly not risking an emerald. but is there any other way to get rid of hair algae? my 2 astrea snails are still very small, 1 cm or less, maybe this is the reason?

NitroJunkie
ok well thats final, i'm definetly not risking an emerald. but is there any other way to get rid of hair algae? my 2 astrea snails are still very small, 1 cm or less, maybe this is the reason?

I read a few horror stories about emeralds eating other inhabitants due to lack of food source once the algea runs out. I purchased algea waffers at my lfs that from what i have read is a good suplement to a emeralds natural diet when algea is not available. Worst case senerio the lfs will take him back.

alexmurovec

i'm going to try to find another alternative. i do not want to have to worry about supplementing a crab just so he doesn't destroy everything else. just seems like to much work for a crab, haha.

HecticDialectics
I read a few horror stories about emeralds eating other inhabitants due to lack of food source once the algea runs out. I purchased algea waffers at my lfs that from what i have read is a good suplement to a emeralds natural diet when algea is not available. Worst case senerio the lfs will take him back.

Thread got a lil confusing cause some dude randomly posted a different question instead of making his own thread, but you're just worried about diatoms on the sand right? I don't know your tank size, but in that case, just get a few nassarius snails (which eat leftover fish food and such that falls to the bottom) to stir up the sand, and a few ceriths which also burrow in the sand but eat algae.

alexmurovec
Thread got a lil confusing cause some dude randomly posted a different question instead of making his own thread.

haha, i was waiting till someone noticed. sorry B)

Archived