Cultivated Reef

Got LS and its cr@p

greeneyes

Last night I recieved my live sand, in the bag it looked good, got it in the tank and it was messy, started my HOB filter and waited and waited, still nasty, 6hrs later sill nothing, Had 2 more HOB in storage, cleanded those and used them, now have 3 cleaning the tank. Get up this moring and it was a skim milk color, better than yesterday. Stating to get mad. Have been cleaning the filter evey couple hrs......Any suggestions? Anyone had this happen and how to correct it.

Turn all your filters off before you go to bed tonight. Let the water sit stagnant. when you wake up in the morning it will be crystal clear. Turn your HOB back on.

Most importantly: Be patient.

Chupacabras

You're doing all you can for it right now... in the future, you may want to clean the bags of sand to avoid that problem ;).

1) Half fill a 5 gallon bucket with sand

2) Stick a hose in the bucket

3) Run the water until the bucket water is clear

4) Repeat

Thank you, I will give that a try tonight.

You're doing all you can for it right now... in the future, you may want to clean the bags of sand to avoid that problem ;).

4) Repeat

Will that kill the little critters in the sand?

4) Repeat

Not with live sand though, rinsing is counterproductive.

Chupacabras

That depends, is it sand from another tank?

Since it's bagged, I assumed it was just a regular bagged sand which isn't really as live as it's made out to be...

Edit: As in, what's the brand name of the sand you received?

That depends, is it sand from another tank?

Since it's bagged, I assumed it was just a regular bagged sand which isn't really as live as it's made out to be...

Yes it is from another tank.

Chupacabras

In that case, yeah, leave it be.

Personally, I'm a fan of only introducing a small amount of "mature" sand to new sand.

4) Repeat

definately dont stick a hose in the bucket! :o If you must rinse it, make sure to use RO/DI... altho you will be flushing out much of the "live" part of the sand.

B)

Chupacabras

Rinsing "dead" sand with tap isn't going to hurt anything, I think we sometimes go a little out of control with the whole RO/DI thing.

Real live sand is full of old poop, hence it clouds up your tank... nothing you can do about that.

:D Ok after reading the posts, I shut of the pumps, let if sit until last night, tank was still milky, so I VERY carefully sucked the silt on the top of the sand, added new water and turned the pumps back on. This moring I wake up and the tank is clear, all I have to do if wipe of the inside of the walls. Thanks guys for info.

Archived