Coral Vue Hydros

"hard" cycling of LR?

StrategicReef

StrategicReef

I got some LR in a tub.. because shipped two-day there were a bit of die off, but it only stunk for a couple of days. Yesterday (5th day) I tested no ammonia at all, nitrite is 50ppm though.

I feel like changing the water to get some of the crap out of there.. but should I just wait a bit so the nitrifying bacteria will develop more established in high concentration of nitrites? Do these bacteria multiply exponentially, for example can I expect a sharp drop off of Nitrite ppms as days go by?

HecticDialectics
I got some LR in a tub.. because shipped two-day there were a bit of die off, but it only stunk for a couple of days. Yesterday (5th day) I tested no ammonia at all, nitrite is 50ppm though.

I feel like changing the water to get some of the crap out of there.. but should I just wait a bit so the nitrifying bacteria will develop more established in high concentration of nitrites? Do these bacteria multiply exponentially, for example can I expect a sharp drop off of Nitrite ppms as days go by?

Yup. Nitrites will turn to nitrates... cycling away. Make sure you some circulation in the tub, too.

Archived